• 1 Post By taylorwinhaha
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA 60P Planted Journey

Hello everyone!
First planted aquarium, I've been a reef guy in most of my previous projects, but finally making the change to planted. I've been obssessed with how the ADA set ups look
and I've gotten a lot of inspiration from the post here (I've been a silent viewer). I am so open to any tips that you guys can give me.

Items:
Tank: ADA 60P
Lighting: Twinstar II 600SPendant with ATLEDTIS 60CM mount.
CO2: 5LB tank from Amazon (I'm going to get it filled later this week at Carbonics in downtown Houston. I get to keep my tank, they don't force exchanges).
ZRDR CO2 Regulator
Filtration: Oase Biomaster Thermo 250 (I choose this one because I struggled to find a solution for a hidden heater and I really wasn't sure on the Hydor inline one)
Heater: In canister filter with Oase
Soil: ADA V2 Amazonia (I still haven't been able to find power sand for base substrate additives)
Rock: 20LB Dragon Stone
Extras: I saw on JAAG's 60P journal that you guys recommended a yoga mat on the bottom of rimless to reduce stress on the seals so I ordered one. I also have jardli
inlet and outlet glass.
Plants: Unknown and uncertain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	supplies.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	900055

Name:	suppliex2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	900057

Name:	suppliesx3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	900059

Name:	suppliex4.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	900061
mourip likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm going to look at stands today. Anyone have any experience with the UNS Natural Wood 60P stand?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorwinhaha View Post
I'm going to look at stands today. Anyone have any experience with the UNS Natural Wood 60P stand?

I decided on this stand.

Name:	UNS-WOOD-STAND-WOOD-60U-Cabinet-2-1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	900173

I love the cut outs on the side which will go perfect with the canister filter tubing into the lily pipes. I got my CO2 tank filled today.
As far as substrate goes, do I need to use power sand or a substrate additive or can I just use the ADA substrate to get the base started?

I finally decided on two plants. The selection of local plants in Houston is dismal due to the Covid19 issue, so I clamped down and ordered some. (I wanted to support local business as much as possible.)
I am going with the Utricularia Graminifolia and the didiplis diandra. Hope these two are a good choice to go with the iwagumi concept. Can't wait to get some photos of the tank all set up!!
P.Isley likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 09:29 PM
Algae Grower

That's some sexy looking equipment you got there!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks mate, I think the one thing I've learned from reading up on this hobby is patience. I wanted to rush into things when I was younger, but taking my time and getting the "right" piece has really paid off so far.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 02:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I decided on this stand.
It's gorgeous!

If you go with power sand, be aware that it can get a bit ugly if it works its way up to the top from pulling up and moving plants around. That said, it is supposed to help with the longevity of your scape, so is recommended if you don't think you will be replanting / re-scaping very often.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Looks like you're off to a great start! I f'ing love the Oase filters. The removable rod thing for cleaning the prefilter sponges is a game-changer. I started with Eheims, but I don't think I'll go back.

I think in regards to your question, you don't have to use power sand. It will help you keep things set up and thrive for longer by providing extended nutrients for, I want to say it's something like 6-8 months? Eventually you'll want root tabs of some kind (I've used Seachem and NilocG with success). So the other option is just to start of with root tabs right away and just use aquasoil. I've definitely had power sand (btw I hate it's called sand when it's literally rocks) pull up when rescaping and it can cause some algae blooms and such if left open to the water column. So yeah, keep in mind what your plans are. Being new, you may feel the itch to change things up frequently, so if that's the case, I might suggest the root tabs instead so you don't pull up bits of the power sand. If you think you'll leave everything for a long time and have the $$, go for the power sand.

For your plants, I might have cautioned you against UG. It's difficult to grow for many. If you get things right, you'll be set and it can look great. Other options for the classic iwagumi look that are similar might be dwarf hairgrass (sp belem is a classic, but there's others that have come up in my absence). There's always microanthemum monte carlo which is really great to grow, a little bigger that hemianthus callitrichoides (HC cuba) and easier to grow. If you want another grass looking, medium plant I'd suggest blyxa japonica, looks great IMO. Other smaller, leafy plants include staurogyn repens, bucephalandra, and anubias petite sp. For a pop of color, you can't beet any of the plethora of ludwigia or rotala sp (require lots of trimming with good light/nutrients/CO2) or alternanthera reinekii mini. Other more exotics include hygrophila araguaia or pinatafida (may not be the leaf shape you're looking for). Hope that's helpful. With your setup you should be able to grow most anything (though that will depend on water quality as well if you're using tap vs RO remineralized).

Also, wash those rocks, haha. They are filled with clay like dirt in all those holes so take a hose or sprayer to those bad boys and don't stop until it comes out almost perfectly clear. I also recommend a bamboo skewer or other stick to dig into the holes and break up the dirt chunks. Otherwise you'll have muddy soil, glass, plants, and filter once you get everything filled.

Anyway, keep up the good planning and yeah, try to not move too fast! Planted tanks require time just like the saltwater you're used to, so don't make big changes too quickly. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
P.Isley and taylorwinhaha like this.

Old tanks, all torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyEthan View Post
Looks like you're off to a great start! I f'ing love the Oase filters. The removable rod thing for cleaning the prefilter sponges is a game-changer. I started with Eheims, but I don't think I'll go back.

I think in regards to your question, you don't have to use power sand. It will help you keep things set up and thrive for longer by providing extended nutrients for, I want to say it's something like 6-8 months? Eventually you'll want root tabs of some kind (I've used Seachem and NilocG with success). So the other option is just to start of with root tabs right away and just use aquasoil. I've definitely had power sand (btw I hate it's called sand when it's literally rocks) pull up when rescaping and it can cause some algae blooms and such if left open to the water column. So yeah, keep in mind what your plans are. Being new, you may feel the itch to change things up frequently, so if that's the case, I might suggest the root tabs instead so you don't pull up bits of the power sand. If you think you'll leave everything for a long time and have the $$, go for the power sand.

For your plants, I might have cautioned you against UG. It's difficult to grow for many. If you get things right, you'll be set and it can look great. Other options for the classic iwagumi look that are similar might be dwarf hairgrass (sp belem is a classic, but there's others that have come up in my absence). There's always microanthemum monte carlo which is really great to grow, a little bigger that hemianthus callitrichoides (HC cuba) and easier to grow. If you want another grass looking, medium plant I'd suggest blyxa japonica, looks great IMO. Other smaller, leafy plants include staurogyn repens, bucephalandra, and anubias petite sp. For a pop of color, you can't beet any of the plethora of ludwigia or rotala sp (require lots of trimming with good light/nutrients/CO2) or alternanthera reinekii mini. Other more exotics include hygrophila araguaia or pinatafida (may not be the leaf shape you're looking for). Hope that's helpful. With your setup you should be able to grow most anything (though that will depend on water quality as well if you're using tap vs RO remineralized).

Also, wash those rocks, haha. They are filled with clay like dirt in all those holes so take a hose or sprayer to those bad boys and don't stop until it comes out almost perfectly clear. I also recommend a bamboo skewer or other stick to dig into the holes and break up the dirt chunks. Otherwise you'll have muddy soil, glass, plants, and filter once you get everything filled.

Anyway, keep up the good planning and yeah, try to not move too fast! Planted tanks require time just like the saltwater you're used to, so don't make big changes too quickly. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

@ChemGuyEthan I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to look at my journey thus far and giving me some great advice.

Starting with the rocks, I decided to go with seiryu stone instead of the dragon rock. I'm going to hold on to the dragon stone for maybe a future or second project down the road. I'm in the process of hunting down the right stones for the look I'm going for. (More to come for sure with pictures)
I knew that water was a process all of its own, and I am still in the works of trying to figure out my long game with how I plan to keep parameters around my goal. With that being said, I did go ahead and purchase an RODI system. I went with the AQUATICLIFE twist in 100GPD system. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Still waiting for it to come in from amazon! I also took your advice and plan to move in a different direction with plant choices. UG research has sort of frightened me. Do you have any advice on how you do your RODI and where I should store the purified water once its processed? I can't quite figure out where I'm going to store the water or how I'm going to do it just yet. I found a couple of ideas with storage, but I had no idea storage barrels could cost so much.

I purchased a TDI meter, and my local tap is very hard 300 ppm+. I did calibrate to consider temp and tested different times to make sure. Feels like I'm going through a never ending check list but I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end.

Also, thanks for giving me feedback on the power sand. I did have some come in the mail, but like you have mentioned, seems like I may benefit from the root tabs that you mentioned so I'll also be swapping to those

You seem to be a fabulous resource for this project, and I thank you again

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Last edited by taylorwinhaha; 06-28-2020 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Name
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Isley View Post
It's gorgeous!

If you go with power sand, be aware that it can get a bit ugly if it works its way up to the top from pulling up and moving plants around. That said, it is supposed to help with the longevity of your scape, so is recommended if you don't think you will be replanting / re-scaping very often.

thank you for the feedback! looks like I may be swapping to tablets. they do look ugly, and I can see them coming up if I pull a plant or make a mistake ;o
P.Isley likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would keep it simple. You don't need root tabs with ADA aquasoil. I've done at least 12 setups with ADA soil. With an iwagumi-type setup, water changes, co2 and light mgmt are going to be the most important things to pay attention to since you won't have heavy stems uptaking nutrients and removing toxins that cause algae. Seiryu stone will raise KH tremendously, but with good water changes you can regulate it.

BTW I'm using the same ATLEDTIS light bar on my current setup.
P.Isley likes this.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I would keep it simple. You don't need root tabs with ADA aquasoil. I've done at least 12 setups with ADA soil. With an iwagumi-type setup, water changes, co2 and light mgmt are going to be the most important things to pay attention to since you won't have heavy stems uptaking nutrients and removing toxins that cause algae. Seiryu stone will raise KH tremendously, but with good water changes you can regulate it.

BTW I'm using the same ATLEDTIS light bar on my current setup.

I'm getting comfortable with my understanding of water parameters, GH/KH, but still not understanding how I will manage my CO2 dosing. Can you give me any resources or advice since this wil be my first time dosing CO2. I don't want to be someone who just dumps co2 and hopes for the best. :S

I love the ATLEDTIS light bar! Looks very modern and sleek,
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
I'm getting comfortable with my understanding of water parameters, GH/KH, but still not understanding how I will manage my CO2 dosing. Can you give me any resources or advice since this wil be my first time dosing CO2. I don't want to be someone who just dumps co2 and hopes for the best. :S

I love the ATLEDTIS light bar! Looks very modern and sleek,
This will probably be helpful for you: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...co2-system-101

I didn't know the first thing about CO2 until I read the article.

You should be able to measure CO2 levels by looking at how much your pH drops before your CO2 starts and during CO2 injection. You could also use a drop checker for a more visual indicator.

I'm not quite sure about your plant choices. UG and didiplis diandra are beautiful plants but if this is going to be your first planted tank maybe something easier might be more appropriate. I've not had experience with either plant myself, but I've read that they can be fairly demanding.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Glad to be of any help @taylorwinhaha I have made plenty of, sometimes costly, mistakes so if I can help others avoid them I'll do what I can.

I would agree with @Asteroid that root tabs are not necessary in the short term. Amazonia and many other aquasoils have plenty of nutrients for, I think they usually say 6-12 months. Just keep in mind if you start pushing over a year with the same aquasoil, you may actually want to consider root tabs. But they are correct in saying it's not necessary from the start. The aquasoil will also remove the carbonates (KH) that leach out of the seiryu stone for some time, but if you monitor it, you'll notice them start to creep up after some time once the soil is saturated.

CO2 dosing is one of those things that sounds really intimidating from the start. And I think there's a lot of convoluted information out there in regards to measuring your levels. I still hold to the ancient ways of the drop checker. It is independent of water parameters that affect measuring by pH swings (there are numerous equilibria in a planted tank that affect pH; dissolved CO2, carbonate hardness, phosphate concentration, active substrates, and plant uptake to name some). I don't remember what type of diffuser you're planning on using, but assuming optimal flow and distribution then I'd start at a 1 bubble per second level and see where your drop checker ends up, then slowly go up from there. Keep in mind drop checkers lag behind by several hours, so give it some time before making changes again to the flow rate. As plants grow or other changes happen to the tank, you may need to change the flow rate, but the drop checker is just a good "at a glance" indicator of the levels in the tank. Though I admit I eventually take my checkers out once the tank equilibrium has been established, just one less thing in the tank.

As far as storing RO water, I've seen others use a big 55 gal (or smaller if you want) trash can from a hardware store, $55 from Home Depot for example. Then you can use a submersible pump (can be found cheaply) and some tubing to pump the water into the new tank even from a distance. You can make it a little more "idiot" proof by adding something like a float switch to make sure you don't overflow your bucket/trash can. Just remember you need a drain nearby for the RO system to work as it discards something around 2/3 the volume of water as it produces of RO.

Old tanks, all torn down:
-
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 11:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I decided on this stand.

Attachment 900173

I love the cut outs on the side which will go perfect with the canister filter tubing into the lily pipes. I got my CO2 tank filled today.
As far as substrate goes, do I need to use power sand or a substrate additive or can I just use the ADA substrate to get the base started?

Good choice! I bought this one too which you can see in my journal. They sell out fast so make sure you buy it immediately or have notifications on for when they are in stock again. I waited two months for mine. Love all your choices so far though!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode