• 4 Post By Sam the Slayer
  • 2 Post By Sam the Slayer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
All of them... Dutchish, shrimpish, plant overflow

Hi all,

Figured I would start a journal to keep track of progress in my tanks instead of what Iím doing now which is notes on various pads of paper or notes on my phone. I currently have 4 tanks set up; a 40 breeders dutchish~, a 14 gallon Crystal Red tank and a 10 gallon Bloody Mary tank and another 40 breeder for plant overflow and trying out new plants.

Iím pretty bad with taking pictures, especially FTS lol so bare with me. Any tips or suggestions are welcome with any of it!

40 breeder dutchish

So this tank has had it rough the past 3 weeks or so and all co2 related. First, my inline co2 diffuser started leaking then I broke my backup in tank diffuser and then when I got that fixed I ran out of co2 and at the same time apparently everyone in Arizona ran out of co2 to fill a paintball cylinder. Ssooooo now thatís fixed and we are 2 days in to co2 again. About half my plants didnít notice and the other half were very offended and starting throwing tantrums. To try to help I raised my lights about 10Ēs and turned two of them off. As you can see in the picture this tank is run using cfls. Here is the equipment:

40 gallon breeder 36x18x16
Black diamond blasting sand
27w cfl x4 6500k @16Ē from substrate
Smart power strip staggers lights on/off to simulate sunrise/sunset (love it)
Eheim 2215
Upaqua in-line co2 diffuser
Aquateck co2 regulator mini
24oz co2 tank x2

I have just replanted and reorganized the plants and still have no idea what Iím going to do in the front center but the plants are
Lobelia Cardinalis Mini

Hygrophila Aruguia, Monte Carlo, and a single Red Downoi thatís finally starting to show signs of life as the snails eat the old growth

Alternanthera Reineckii Mini, Erio Vietnam

Pogostemon Kimberly (hard hit during no co2) Ludwigia Peruensis (also hard hit)

Stourygen Purple (droopy but sending out new growth with co2 back) and Bacopa Carolinia

Ludwigia Ovalis

Not pictured is Ludwigia Senegalensis (hard hit and looking awful but has new growth.

Things look like crap now but hey what a perfect time to start a journal lol. Only going up from here. My focus with this tank is to have bushier growth with less plants so hopefully it has more of an impact for my eye from across the room. This tank was just me using up a 40 I had laying around and now I keep on wanting to make it more and more. I have a stand that Iím building now so I can eventually replace this with a 75 or greater and put this 40 in the stand underneath it. For now the stand will hold this 40 and my other 40 underneath.

Iíll post my dosing and more details later as well as my other tanks probably tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Exciting day; My Crystals and Bloody Marys arrived a day early!

My Crystal tank is a 14 gallon Aqua Japan which I have had for a couple of years. Two months ago it looked like this

Then when I knew I was going to order shrimp I changed it to

Then

And now itís this

Shrimp arrival

Not great pics I know. Iíll have to get in there and clean the glass and also learn how to take pics lol.

The tank is 20Ēx12Ēx15Ē
Substrate is Landens AquaSoil
Ph: 5.5
TDS 140~ water change target is 120 TDS
Finnex Stingray
Nitrates 5~
Kh .5
Gh 4~

I wonder if I need a mineral ball?

Here is the 40 before the co2 issue and rescape
This was me not really scaping or anything just growing stuff out.

Random Betta pics from the 40

Little fella trying to climb into the filter. I love the little ripples forming in front of him.

doug105! and Discusluv like this.

Last edited by Sam the Slayer; 06-12-2020 at 08:14 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I havenít cleaned the front glass on my Neo tank yet so Iíll just post an inhabitant shot
And here is a pic of the 40 with equipment.
Everything is out of sorts because when I was originally going to use this stand I was using a hob and planning for a lower light setup but that didnít last long and now I am building a newer stand that will look nice and finished and hold everything.

Also can someone tell me what type of moss this is?

It came with my shrimp in the bags. It grows long and then has short sections that come out along the length.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I have made some changes and have decided to focus on my shrimp breeding projects. My Bloody Mary tank exploded and now have about 150 in the ten gallon while my crystal tank has been disappointing. I started with 10 crystals and am now down to 4. I have seen babies a couple of times but they seem to die off within a month. Mama keeps getting berried and then nothing. Weird, I feel like Iím doing everything right but I guess not. I ended up just moving them from the 14 gallon planted to a 5.5 gallon couple of days ago. I am now keeping a dozen Pygmy Rasboras and some ottos in there to keep it seasoned until I get some more caridina. Here is the 14 gallon now Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	905329

Currently only running 5 tanks after taking down both my 40 breeders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1163.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	905331
Here is a pic of ďbig mamaĒ one of the original Bloody Marys to start this colony

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode