UNS 60S submerged/emersed hybrid - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yeah that's why they recommend to keep the rhyzome out of the water. The orchid will then sprout both water and air roots.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Farmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 12:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Err.. Many orchids are epiphytes that live in tree crooks.
Quote:
Generally water NEVER kills plants, but the lack of oxygen to the roots.. thus one can grow things hydroponically..
Soo plants don't drowned they suffocate..
Yep, almost exactly what I said.

Quote:
Historically, the common failure w/ orchids was assuming they are jungle plants..
You may well be right. Like I said, I'm no orchid expert. That makes sense though. I do have an orchid in a tree in my front yard that only gets rainwater and I live in a temperate climate. The orchids I grew up with were all terrestrial. They were all dry and dormant in summer too.

That's pretty cool. Never seen that.

Quote:
Our current Phaelenopsis had a tag that stated give it "3 ice cubes per week".. Funny huh.
Interesting. My cousin has a carnivorous plant he waters with ice water.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Added the air stone bell. It's made of acrylic so less risk of breaking. Will see how everything responds. Having it turn on right after lights out and off at 6am when tank starts to get ambient light.

Also have had to really crank the co2. Was getting algae even though drop checker was green and after ph test realized it was only dropping .5. Monte Carlo has set in though and growth is starting to explode. Co2 is not surprising though with the huge amount of light everything's getting.

Orchid is doing good. Another flower has opened since I planted it so must like its location.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok so interesting developments with adding the air bell. My ph with a lot of surface agitation always capped out at 6.8. My ph this morning before co2 fired off is 7.2. This also added a benefit I didn't think of when it came to my TDS and GH because of the huge amounts of Seiryu stone in my tank. Usually my GH would go up by 2 daily with a 50-70 TDS increase because the water always stayed in the acidic range. Well this morning I only registered a 10 TDS and .5 GH increase. So water is only turning acidic during lights phase and only breaking down my stone during that time. Plus now I can inject even more co2 for that 1ph decrease as before I scared to go down below 6.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 06:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Ok so interesting developments with adding the air bell. My ph with a lot of surface agitation always capped out at 6.8. My ph this morning before co2 fired off is 7.2. This also added a benefit I didn't think of when it came to my TDS and GH because of the huge amounts of Seiryu stone in my tank. Usually my GH would go up by 2 daily with a 50-70 TDS increase because the water always stayed in the acidic range. Well this morning I only registered a 10 TDS and .5 GH increase. So water is only turning acidic during lights phase and only breaking down my stone during that time. Plus now I can inject even more co2 for that 1ph decrease as before I scared to go down below 6.
As your KH increases you need less of a pH drop to get to 30 ppm.

Why the bell rather than just an airstone? If the goal is gas exchange wouldn't you want as much surface agitation as possible?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
As your KH increases you need less of a pH drop to get to 30 ppm.

Why the bell rather than just an airstone? If the goal is gas exchange wouldn't you want as much surface agitation as possible?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
The bell has an airstone inside it. It keeps the airstone from splashing water all over the place.

Also my KH is not going up as fast as GH. For example my initial starting point was 2 GH and KH. After 48 hours my GH was 6 and KH 4. Plus the more co2 I cranked the faster the GH was going up while KH was barely being touched.

The tank already had a lot of surface agitation. It has an Eheim Pro4 350 running at 80% flow.

Looks like ADA is taking it even a step further and using a co2 scrubber on the air lines. I used to do that with my reef tank to keep the pH at 8.4-8.6 as it would turbocharge coral growth.

post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Orchid 10 days ago. 3 flowers

And today. I trimmed down a lot of the roots before I planted and I'm seeing a lot of new roots both air and water ones. Must really like the nutrient rich water which completely goes against what you read online to use distilled water, etc.

Charrr89 and rzn7z7 like this.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Been fighting GHA on submerged portion for about 2-3 weeks now. Did a massive trim and still kept coming back. Pulled all the moss from the submerged area and moved it to emersed and still nothing. Decided to test my phosphates just for the hell of it and it's quite high so going to try a round of phosguard to try and get it back down to 0 or almost 0. Also realized I've been dosing way too much as I have been using the UNS all-in-one but in conjunction with a heavy nutrient rich soil I'm just pouring way too much ferts. So going to switch to the ADA method of no nitrate or phosphate dosing whatsoever and just Brightly K, Iron, and Multi-trace.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode