UNS 60S submerged/emersed hybrid - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 09:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You're probably going to get the soil falling off the slope and on to the sand. It's pretty normal in setups like this, but it's pretty easy to siphon out.

What are your plans for transitioning the bolobitis and cyperus helferi to lower humidity without melting? Do you have cling film or something over them right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
You're probably going to get the soil falling off the slope and on to the sand. It's pretty normal in setups like this, but it's pretty easy to siphon out.

What are your plans for transitioning the bolobitis and cyperus helferi to lower humidity without melting? Do you have cling film or something over them right now
Right now I am just misting them once a day. I am trying to find a small misting head to mount on the light rail for daily auto misting for the future.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Right now I am just misting them once a day. I am trying to find a small misting head to mount on the light rail for daily auto misting for the future.

Getting the mister is probably a good idea. When my bolbitis started to break the surface i would mist once a day and it kept drying up over and over, took about 9 months for some leaves to "organically" transition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Think I found a small mister in the exo terra monsoon solo. The mister head can be easily attached to a piece of acrylic I can install in the 80/20 light rail and move around with ease.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tank is now fully planted. Added:

Monte Carlo
Gratiola Viscidula
Dragon's Tongue

Picking up my mister later today at Petco. Went with the Exo Terra Monsoon Solo and mounting it on my light rail. Thinking 2 second mist every hour to start.

Also adding a third light rail to spread the light and also increase intensity a bit.

Charrr89 and rzn7z7 like this.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Added a front cover for the stand made of walnut. It attaches to the stand with a magnet. Also made light spill front covers out of acrylic because the glare from the diodes when sitting down by it was unbearable. Also added a third light rail just for the hell of it. I am quite amazed how I'm getting no algae with the amount of light I'm pushing. The lowest part of the tank which is the Monte Carlo is getting 100 par. The emersed plants must really be keeping the nutrient balance in check.

Current whole setup shot.

And FTS

These lights though are fire. Araguaia new growth is deep red while old growth is slowly turning. All while looking crisp white which I like.

rzn7z7 likes this.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Installed the exo-terra monsoon with no issues. Tried to hide as best as I could. System runs every hour for 4 seconds. It's very nice and compact and filled reservoir should last at least a week.

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've been reading a lot about growing orchids hydroponically so decided to give it a shot. Prepped this orchid a couple of days ago and moved it to the tank. I guess time will tell how it does. Also been looking for some fittonia pink skeleton and finally found some. The emersed part is now fully planted.

Hendy8888, doug105! and belka085 like this.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Really nice job! I've wanted to do something like this for a long time but never took the time/effort to set it up.

I too am curious about the outflow, did you throttle it in some way to prevent erosion of the soil? Or has that not been a problem so far?

And as someone who tried to grow orchids a bit and failed, due to root rot from over-watering, I'm curious how that phal will do dunked in water... my impression was their roots like air. But I've definitely seen orchids grown in palludarium and riparium setups so it must be possible with the right conditions.

Anyway, looking forward to the updates on this.

Latest tank setup July 2020

Torn down:
-
-
-
-
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyEthan View Post
Really nice job! I've wanted to do something like this for a long time but never took the time/effort to set it up.

I too am curious about the outflow, did you throttle it in some way to prevent erosion of the soil? Or has that not been a problem so far?

And as someone who tried to grow orchids a bit and failed, due to root rot from over-watering, I'm curious how that phal will do dunked in water... my impression was their roots like air. But I've definitely seen orchids grown in palludarium and riparium setups so it must be possible with the right conditions.

Thanks. Believe it or not my outflow is running at almost full blast on the Eheim. Pro4s have a dial on them where you can select the flow rate. It's set to around 75-80% right now. What I do is point the Lily pipe at the rock and it breaks up the wave plus I have it almost hitting the surface.

I had to increase flow because the lower flow was starting to give me algae so now I have a ton of surface agitation.

I ordered one of those contained air stone things where the air stone sits inside a bell to have oxygen injection run on the opposite cycle of co2. This seems to be getting very popular with the Japanese scapers so going to give it a shot.

As for the orchid not the entirety of the roots are submerged. Every video I watched said this is the key and to keep the main rhyzome out of the water so the orchid is kinda suspended over the soil with the help of those two sticks. I will need to get longer ones as it grows.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I see, that makes more sense with the outflow. I didn't know that Eheim could be throttled like that, so that's a nice feature. I've seen those bell diffusers, but I didn't see the point in a smaller tank with surface agitation tbh. Who knows though, innovations happen all the time. It probably doesn't run into the same pH swings that can happen with high surface agitation and soft (well low carbonate) water at least, so that's maybe an advantage?

Good to hear about the orchids, that's really interesting. Hope it'll thrive for you!

Latest tank setup July 2020

Torn down:
-
-
-
-
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I see, that makes more sense with the outflow. I didn't know that Eheim could be throttled like that, so that's a nice feature. I've seen those bell diffusers, but I didn't see the point in a smaller tank with surface agitation tbh. Who knows though, innovations happen all the time. It probably doesn't run into the same pH swings that can happen with high surface agitation and soft (well low carbonate) water at least, so that's maybe an advantage?

Good to hear about the orchids, that's really interesting. Hope it'll thrive for you!
Yeah I was struggling to find a good medium between vortex of flow and good oxygen levels overnight so I am going to try this out and see the outcome. The bell was 10 bucks and I already have the air pump so figured what the hell.

But my algae was also probably because I was blasting the crap out of the tank with light haha. The plant that was receiving the lowest amount of light was still getting 100 PAR haha. I lowered it to 80 to see what happens as well. These teeny tiny cobs put out a massive blanket of light while sipping power. Sitting at 35W of power right now.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 11:25 AM
Planted Member

Quote:

Most orchids are epiphytic, so it stands to reason they aren't suited to being planted in soil like other plants. I'm no expert on orchids by any means, but often when we are told to be sparing on the water with these plants it's by people who mean well but don't know what they are talking about. They are just parroting what they hear from others and they see what they do work and assume they are correct. Many of the plants we grow indoors are from tropical rainforests where the roots are constantly wet. Water is not what kills them but the lack of air/oxygen in the medium. A perfect example is the Peace Lily. Most instructions will say they are very sensitive to root rot from too much water and they should only be watered when the pot is dry. Recently I have read some notes from a guy who studies and keeps these plants and his argument was that in the wild they are often found growing beside water and sometimes submerged for part of the year. So it's not the water that kills them. It's the growing medium. I suppose it's a case of correlation doesn't equal causation.
At least it's very interesting. I will be looking out to see what happens here.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
...I ordered one of those contained air stone things where the air stone sits inside a bell to have oxygen injection run on the opposite cycle of co2. This seems to be getting very popular with the Japanese scapers so going to give it a shot...
That's a neat idea. I spent way too much for a "Pollen Glass Air" from the big name three letter company a few years ago and what it mostly accomplished was getting a lot of water down the outside of the tank and into the floor by morning.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Most orchids are epiphytic, so it stands to reason they aren't suited to being planted in soil like other plants. I'm no expert on orchids by any means, but often when we are told to be sparing on the water with these plants it's by people who mean well but don't know what they are talking about. They are just parroting what they hear from others and they see what they do work and assume they are correct. Many of the plants we grow indoors are from tropical rainforests where the roots are constantly wet. Water is not what kills them but the lack of air/oxygen in the medium. A perfect example is the Peace Lily. Most instructions will say they are very sensitive to root rot from too much water and they should only be watered when the pot is dry. Recently I have read some notes from a guy who studies and keeps these plants and his argument was that in the wild they are often found growing beside water and sometimes submerged for part of the year. So it's not the water that kills them. It's the growing medium. I suppose it's a case of correlation doesn't equal causation.
At least it's very interesting. I will be looking out to see what happens here.

Err.. Many orchids are epiphytes that live in tree crooks.
Historically, the common failure w/ orchids was assuming they are jungle plants..

Being high in trees they are relatively dry, windy, and partially sunny..
Generally water NEVER kills plants, but the lack of oxygen to the roots.. thus one can grow things hydroponically..
Soo plants don't drowned they suffocate..

That said.. it is species specific..

https://wtop.com/travel/2017/06/flow...-wild-orchids/

Our current Phaelenopsis had a tag that stated give it "3 ice cubes per week".. Funny huh.
Farmer likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode