Zivvel Yarn - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post
Man! With all this time and effort you spend on doing such careful, seemingly tedious (to me) calculations, you may as well go into saltwater side of the hobby!

I thought freshwater hobby does not need that much accuracy! Ha ha!
I would love to have a reef tank. But I'm not about to give up my plants, and I don't have time for a whole different maintenance regime.

Today I received new plants New Plants NEW PLANTS! I can see the mailbox from where I have been working from home, so I wasted no time getting them out of the Texas heat and into the tanks. Thanks, @burr740!

Hygrophila araguaia got a few prominent spots up front in the 36.

I also threw a stem into the 20 to see what it does in that harder water.

I just jammed the Kimberly & Pantanal in the back of the 36. We'll see if they like my soup.

deeda, Greggz, burr740 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Just wanted to let you know I have been really enjoying this journal.

Lot's of plant eye candy, and it's always getting turned up a notch.

Tanks are looking great! Keep the updates coming.
deeda, zivvel and burr740 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 12:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice!
Love those red plants, I hear they need very bright lights.

What are they called?
Are they expensive?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

-Raj

post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Just wanted to let you know I have been really enjoying this journal.

Lot's of plant eye candy, and it's always getting turned up a notch.

Tanks are looking great! Keep the updates coming.
Thank you, GZ! Your tank and journal have played a big role in my tank progress this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post
Nice!
Love those red plants, I hear they need very bright lights.

What are they called?
Are they expensive?
Are you talking about these?

They are Ludwigia palustris AKA Ludwigia sp. 'Red' or 'Super Red Mini' or sometimes just "Lud red". I got them from @burr740 in the For Sale/Trade forum here, and they are not expensive. Brighter lights intensify the red color, but they will grow with lower light.

I recently removed them all from the crowded 36 and added some of the stems to the 20 to make it denser. My wife dubbed them weirwood trees, as they remind us of the heart trees from Game of Thrones.
Greggz, burr740, doug105! and 1 others like this.

post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I like to pull plants, trim, clean, and re-plant during the day with the lights on, but draining / changing water during the photoperiod causes algae problems. When the filter's not running, CO2 isn't diffusing or circulating (depending on the tank). Bright light with degassed water leads to algae. When I do change water at the start of the photoperiod (when I sleep a little late on a Saturday), I leave the lights off during the WC and for an hour afterward to allow the CO2 concentration to build up.

I bought a SunSun HW-603B (about $40 on Amazon) so I can vacuum the soil in my tanks without draining water. I connect my gravel vac to the intake. I have two gravel vacs: a 1" diameter and a 2". With this canister (rated at 106GPH) vacuuming Landen soil, the 2" diameter is almost the perfect amount of suction. When I use the 1" vac (the Large Python is too tall for my smaller tanks), I have to keep the vac off the soil surface and use a turkey baster to stir up detritus. I may look for a 2" wide but shorter vac for the smaller tanks.

I've been using this method for 2 weeks now, and I love it. I may try removing the finest sponge from the filter to see if I can get just a little bit more power. I love that I can clean my substrate without draining any water.

On the 36 bowfront tank, I replaced my old Penn Plax Cascade 700 canister with a new SunSun HW-303B. The Cascade 700 still works great, and I'll keep it as a backup. The 303B has a little bit more power, 3 media trays instead of 2, and a 9W UV light. I have some 2" foam that I bought back in February. I cut a piece of coarse for the bottom tray and a piece of medium foam for the middle tray. On top of that, I put the floss pad that came with the 303B. I put a few bags of SeaChem Matrix (from the old filter) in the top tray.

In the 36, I have discovered that L.pantanal, while beautiful, grows like a weed! It grows faster than my Cabomba furcata, and that is saying something. I kept about 3-4" from the top of each stem this morning and tossed the stumps. I'm not sure how many stems I'm going to want yet.

Nothing exciting in the 20 today. Kept only tops of Lud red. Kept stumps & tops of Myrio. No other trimming in this tank today.

As for the 10 gallon tank... after much waiting and watching, we finally have a brood of Endler's fry! I believe the count is 7 survivors. Two fry were found in the HOB, an AC20, but one of those did not make it. I have since dialed the filter back to the lowest flow I can. Hopefully the little ones will steer clear.

Saturday is tank maintenance day, but I started Friday evening on this tank. The two massive L.cardinalis in the center were dominating it. I topped one of them a couple weeks ago, and it grew several children from the stump. I tossed both stumps and kept 5 or 6 child plants. I also tossed the last of my Ammannia senegalensis. I wanted to love this plant, but it never looked healthy in any of my tanks. Maybe someday I will try again.

After pulling about 2/3 of the plants, I vacuumed all that open substrate. I would have pulled all the plants, but I wanted to leave the babies someplace to hide. It was tedious work with the turkey baster and my small vac, but I managed to avoid the fry (really, they avoided me).

The guppy grass & CO2 bubbles clutter this picture up, but here it is anyway:

deeda, Greggz and Resurgent RL3 like this.

post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was about ready to give up on hatching my little rainbows. I had emailed the vendor to ask for advice after 1 week of waiting: Water changes? Stir it around? How often can I uncover it and check? He encouraged me to wait, not disturb it, and to stare for prolonged periods when searching for fry ("the fry is ultra tiny and tends to hide").

After 3 weeks with no results, I did some more research. I promptly kicked myself for not doing this earlier, because I quickly came across Gary Lange's writeup about the subject.

I only have a heater in one of our 4 tanks (including my daughter's 3gal blue shrimp tank), and I didn't give temperature much thought. Gary advises that fry must be kept in water at least 80F or they will not survive. My egg-hatching water was around 72F, so I bought a reptile heat pad to put under the bowl. It arrived on Tuesday, but this was a very busy day for me, and I even forgot to check on the eggs.

Wednesday, we checked, and we think we spotted a dead fry at the bottom of the bowl. It's hard to say for sure -- it was tiny. We searched, but this action stirred up so much peat that we could not find it, whatever it was. I put the heating pad under the bowl on the lowest setting, put a thermometer in the bowl, and put the towel over the bowl again. I checked the temperature frequently; the pad brought it up to about my target of 80F.

Thursday, we checked and found nothing. My 5-50 micron Golden Pearls arrived on this day, so I put a tiny amount of this into the bowl.

Friday/Yesterday, after 29 days of waiting, we found a single "ultra tiny" fry swimming at the surface of the water. SUCCESS! ACTION REQUIRED!

The 10gal tank has the four Endler's as well as a breeder box with a dozen Endler's fry. I put a couple small heaters in this tank and cranked them up to get to 80F. When it was around 76, the same temp as my 36BF, I transferred the adult guppies over to that tank with minimal acclimation. I added a smaller breeder box to the 10gal and put some guppy grass in it.

When it was about 80F in the tank, I moved the new baby blue-eyed rainbow to the new fry box. It's so tiny that it can probably fit through the tiny slits in the side/bottom of the cage. But it stays at the surface, so I don't think that will be a problem.

This morning, the tank is at 81F, and the little critter is still alive. Hopefully it will get some brothers/sisters. If not, I may give it another try.

The 20 long has 2 berried Amano shrimp (the other 2 are male), and I'm considering options for raising those babies, too. I have plenty of buckets. The 11 CPDs are growing more colorful.

The 36BF is growing green algae on the substrate in the front where there's no shade. My theory is that the front curved glass funnels light down to the front and intensifies it there. Or that area gets too much sunlight. I also have a bit of black brush algae on the Erios up front.

I ran out of CO2 last Friday evening. All the welding supply shops nearby are closed Sat-Sun, so the tanks spent the weekend at much lower light levels than normal.
ipkiss likes this.

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I lost my lone rainbow fry. It either jumped out of the fry box, or it was small enough to slip through the grooves. We searched long and hard in the tank. It likely fell prey to the 10 young Endler's who were free roaming the 10 gallon tank.

I gave up on the first batch, and I ordered more eggs. They arrived on 9/30, and I put them in pure (aged) RO water. I'll try to keep the temp in the 75-80F range. I also have a better fry box now.

Now it's Oct 10, and we have not seen any rainbow fry yet, but the due date is approaching around Oct 13 - 14.

I had a successful hatching of Amano eggs from one mother, but not the other. Unfortunately, my zoe bucket crashed, and I lost all those within 24 hrs of noticing them. Bummer! I will try this again, too. I am not sure what caused the crash. I had them in 2.5gal of water. I removed the mother back to the 20gal, then I started dripping saltwater in (used a whole jar of Seachem Brackish Salt) to bring salinity up to 1.022 sg. I have a bag of Reef Crystals that I will try next time.

One of our female Endlers is in bad shape with ich. The 36BF tank has been getting nightly Paraguard (1ml / 2gal), and I'm running the temp around 86-88F. I put the ichy girl in a bucket, and her Paraguard dose is a little higher than the main tank (2ml / 3gal).

The 8 rummynose are still swimming, and there's another brood of 6 Endler fry in a box in the 36gal. The 20 long still has 11 CPDs and 4 Amanos (2M/2F). One is berried (again? still?).

Water changes have been tricky lately. I use the same prep barrel for all 3 tanks, and each is kept at a different temp right now: the 20 has no heater, so 70-72F generally; the 10 is at 80-81F for rainbow fry; and the 36 is at 86-88F for ich treatment. This week, I changed the 20 on Friday night. I then (forgot to) turn on the heaters in the barrel. Then I change the 10 whenever the temp is around the right range. Finally, I change the 36 when I get tired of waiting for my prep water to get hotter.

It's still better than lugging buckets around!

Current dosing is as follows in all 3 tanks:

Prep barrel: RO water + 15ppm Ca (CaSO4) + 7ppm Mg (MgSO4)
Macros: front-loaded into aquarium directly after WC:
- 14ppm NO3 + 8.83ppm K (from KNO3)
- 8ppm PO4 + 6.58ppm K (from KH2PO4)
- 6ppm K (from K2SO4)
Micros: 3x/week including first dose immediately after WC with macros:
Code:
In 500ml solution:

10ml treats 35 gallons
    4.4ml treats 15.25 gallons
    2.6ml treats 9.25 gallons

PPM    Grams  Source
Fe DTPA  .1     6.022  Fe DTPA 11%
Fe Gluc  .05    33.1ml Flourish Iron
B        .037   1.402  Boric acid H3BO3
Cl       .65    6.74   CaCl2 (+0.37ppm Ca)
Cu       .0025  0.065  CuSO4.5H2O
Mn       .045   0.917  MnSO4.H2O
Mo       .0017  0.028  Na2MoO4.H2O
Ni       .0007  0.021  NiSO4.6H2O
Zn       .04    0.746  ZnSO4.H2O
FTS from Sep 1

Here are a couple pics pre-trim on Sep 20.

Front: Hygrophila araguaia
Left:
Echinodorus tenellus / pygmy chain sword (I think! was sold to me as "micro sword")
Ludwigia repens
Center:
Eriocaulon aquatica (not pictured: now has a flower bud which is a first for me)
Tonina fluviatilis
Right: Limnophila aromatica (mini? I don't know, stays pretty compact)

Left:
Ludwigia repens
Limnophila indica / ambulia (not yet trimmed, obviously)
Center: some Endler's and Pogostemon sp. ĎKimberleyí ("ley" or "ly"? the Internet can't decide)
Lower right: Bacopa carolinana, of course

Greggz and ipkiss like this.

post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 01:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice tank shots and good luck with your ich patient

In your dosing schedule I don't see a source for carbonates (CO3)....do you keep KH at 0?
zivvel likes this.
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzn7z7 View Post
Nice tank shots and good luck with your ich patient

In your dosing schedule I don't see a source for carbonates (CO3)....do you keep KH at 0?
Thank you.

I have Landen soil in all three tanks. If I were adding carbonates, I feel like I would be fighting that active soil, and possibly shortening its effective life span (I do not have data to back this theory up).

The 20 gallon tank gets some from the Seiryu stone, but the other two tanks run KH 0. Interestingly, the 20 is also most prone to algae breakouts of the three tanks.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode