Zivvel Yarn - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary Joe View Post
I faced the same issue with shrimp before after some replanting. Suddenly, everything is dead with no explanation. It is really sad. Anyway, could you share with us the model of your return pump, please? I have a similar setup and could upgrade to the same one eventually.
Sure. I assume you're referring to the small return pump in the all-in-one setup of my 20 long. That is a Sicce Syncra Nano that I got from Amazon for about $30. It's rated for up to 110GPH, and I always leave it full open. It's dead silent.
Ordinary Joe likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 11:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any update on the co2 reactor?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

-Raj
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post
Any update on the co2 reactor?
I have not touched it. I do get some tiny bubbles from my return nozzle, but it hasn't bothered me enough to take any action yet. I don't look forward to taking it apart right now, but I will move the gate valve eventually.

I put a drop checker back into the 36 just to make sure I'm getting around "enough" CO2 levels. It turns lime green, and the fish still seem happy, so I'm happy. I also have a new pH pen, and it looks like I'm getting about a 1.3pH drop (6.5 to 5.2). The only algae I'm seeing is BBA on some leaves of Erios and H.bolivianum, and occasionally on the lower leaves of AR.

I want to take some new pics. My kids reclaimed all the fort-building pieces that I was using for my photo booth, so I need to figure out another way.

Last weekend, I picked up some Endler's (6 male: 4 sky blue, 2 yellow, 5 female) for my daughter to keep in the 10 gallon tank. We lost the 2 yellow males and 1 female, and we have one more male that is looking unhappy. The other 7 fish are looking pretty lively.

I got 4 Amano shrimp for the 20 and 11 rummynose tetras for the 36. Right now, the rummies are quarantining in the 20.

I have been adjusting CO2 in the 2 smaller tanks. I ran no CO2 and very low light for the first couple days with the new fish. I've never had fish in the 10gal, so I have probably been running too much CO2 there. The guppies like to hang out at the surface in the afternoon. Is that a bad sign? The rummies seem to get pretty skittish at peak CO2 times, so I am dialing it back a bit in the 20 as well.

The 20gal is still in its new-substrate infancy, and I think bio-filter (a few mesh bags of Seachem Matrix) was still catching up with the new-soil ammonia spike. For the first couple of days with fish, I was still seeing low non-zero levels of nitrites, so I dosed with 1.5ml Prime. I continued this daily and after WCs (still every-other-day) until the nitrites dropped to zero on July 8. All the rummies & shrimp appear healthy. I had a bloom of green string & dust algae, and I am finally seeing it recede from the plants and rocks since adding the critters. I haven't dosed Excel since July 2, a few days prior to adding the fish & shrimp. After today's WC, I am going to move to twice weekly for this tank unless algae attacks again.

After my 50% WCs on all 3 tanks, I am dosing 11.25ppm NO3 (KNO3), 4ppm PO4 (KH2PO4), and 6ppm K (K2SO4) (total 14.73ppm K from all this). I am only front-loading KNO3 & K2SO4 after WCs. I continue to test PO4 every other day and dose it back to 3-4ppm.

Though I don't test NO3 levels often, they seem to stay consistently in the 20-30ppm range in all tanks. I recently started testing K, and it appears to be in the "plenty" range... I think. 20+? It's hard to be sure. I am using this "Easy-Life Potassium (K) Test Kit (+/- 50 Tests)" that I ordered from Europe via the flea bay for $29.40 USD = £22.67 GBP (including tax & shipping). It's the only reasonably-priced K test that I have found.

I just mixed up a new batch of micros as well. This one is a bit lighter on Fe, Cu, Mn. I dose this once after WC, and then twice more during the week, on Monday & Wednesday. In the 20gal, with more frequent WCs, I give it a half-dose after each WC.

Code:
In 500ml solution:

10ml treats 34 gallons
    4.5ml treats 15.25 gallons
    2.6ml treats 8.75 gallons

PPM    Grams  Source
Fe DTPA  .1     5.85   Fe DTPA 11%
Fe Gluc  .05    32.2ml Flourish Iron
B        .037   1.362  Boric acid H3BO3
Cu       .0025  0.063  CuSO4.5H2O
Mn       .045   0.891  MnSO4.H2O
Mo       .0017  0.028  Na2MoO4.H2O
Ni       .0007  0.020  NiSO4.6H2O
Zn       .04    0.725  ZnSO4.H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Planted Member

Cool.

I am getting ready to move to a new tank, which has a sump setup. So I might just stick the inline co2 diffuser's water output going right back into the sump' first chamber. Hopefully by the time the micro bubbles swim through the mechanical media, biological media, fluidized k1 media, return pump, etc they will get fully dissolved.

And yes, if the fishes are staying at the water surface, it means they could be gasping for air, my Guppies did the same until I dialled back the co2

zivvel likes this.

-Raj
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post

Though I don't test NO3 levels often, they seem to stay consistently in the 20-30ppm range in all tanks. I recently started testing K, and it appears to be in the "plenty" range... I think. 20+? It's hard to be sure. I am using this "Easy-Life Potassium (K) Test Kit (+/- 50 Tests)" that I ordered from Europe via the flea bay for $29.40 USD = £22.67 GBP (including tax & shipping). It's the only reasonably-priced K test that I have found.

Salifert makes a freshwater K test kit available here

https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/sali...-test-kit.aspx

Don't know how it compares to the Easy-Life kit
zivvel likes this.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post
I am getting ready to move to a new tank, which has a sump setup. So I might just stick the inline co2 diffuser's water output going right back into the sump' first chamber. Hopefully by the time the micro bubbles swim through the mechanical media, biological media, fluidized k1 media, return pump, etc they will get fully dissolved.

And yes, if the fishes are staying at the water surface, it means they could be gasping for air, my Guppies did the same until I dialled back the co2
Sounds like a good plan to me. As for my 10gal CO2, I feel like I'm barely pumping any CO2 in there -- near or less than 1 bps in a ceramic in-tank diffuser. At any rate, I did add an airstone that runs 24x7 as well, just to get plenty of agitation. They don't stay at the top all the time, and they don't look like they're gasping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzn7z7 View Post
Salifert makes a freshwater K test kit available here

https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/sali...-test-kit.aspx

Don't know how it compares to the Easy-Life kit
Thank you for this! I don't know how I missed this in all my searching.

post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just moved the 11 rummynose tetras from the 20 long to the 36. One did not survive the transfer.

Another one was murdered in cold blood by Tiger Face the clown loach right in front of my face.

Tiger Face is in the timeout bucket while I figure out what to do with him.

post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a rough week or so with my daughter as we discussed what to do about the loaches / "The Faces." Tiger had been in (almost) solitary confinement in the 20 (with the Amano shrimp) since his crime last Saturday. We didn't want to do it, but Tiger, Cheeto, and Puma Face have all been traded in. So ends the era of the clown loach. They were fun to have around... funny, even. They were always playing in the currents during the day, and playing dead at night. I highly recommend them if you have the space for them (and you don't like your snails). I think Tiger simply outgrew my tanks.

Unfortunately, the last photo I took of them at Fish Gallery came out blurry. Here it is, anyway:

Here's a better one that's a crop from another photo back on May 26, with a photobombing otocinclus:

On a brighter note, we finally found some Celestial Pearl Danios. We have been calling around for months trying to find some, but the Covid has kept them away. Fish Gallery had a tankful of CPDs today, and we brought home a dozen. After acclimation, I put them in the 20 with the Amano shrimp, of which we counted 3 this morning; I wonder if Tiger Face had one last snack before his departure. I'll hopefully get some pictures tomorrow when the lights come back on.

I finally started putting together a decent water prep station to make changes easier. I found a couple of 55-gallon water barrels, and I claimed a corner of my wife's craft area. For now, I put a submersible fountain / return pump in each barrel which circulates the water through a 5-micron sediment filter overnight. The plan is to plumb the RO output to the left barrel, and use that to fill the right barrel where I will re-mineralize, and from which I will refill aquariums. For now, I'm still filling the left barrel with buckets from the RO tap at the kitchen sink.

The blurb on the front of that left barrel is a mural from my daughter. Here's a close-up:

She's really something.
deeda and ipkiss like this.

post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I apologize, Tiger Face, for accusing you of taking a shrimp snack for the road. We located all four Amanos a few days later in the 20 on the bar, where our CPD population is alive and well. In fact, the shrimp and the rummynose tetras all seem to be far less shy now that the clown loaches are gone. We still miss them, though!

I had been re-thinking my plan for puffers in the 20 long. I want to be able to keep shrimp and other fish in there as well. This was actually decided before we brought the CPDs home last weekend. Instead, we have been looking at threadfin and/or blue-eye rainbows.

I was perusing aquabid.com a few weeks ago, and I found what we think might be a fun experiment. I ordered some eggs: Pseudomugil Gertrudae, Spotted Blue-Eye Rainbows. Shipped Tuesday, 7/28, from Vienna, Austria, they arrived Thursday, 2 days later, at about noon. "20+" eggs for $12.39, and shipping was $18.64. They were packed in peat moss and wrapped in a foil pouch in a ziploc bag. He was nice enough to ship me some brine shrimp eggs with the fish eggs for feeding the fry.

Now, we wait. Up to 2 grueling weeks. I am keeping them in this wide vase (like a tall glass bowl) in about a quart of aged RO water. It's covered with a towel as the vendor instructed, and we're checking it daily.

I have perused Adrian Tappin's Rainbowfishes book, and I will continue to read it when I have time. Thanks @Greggz for the link to this great book in your journal!

Does anyone have any tips that could help us succeed with this? I've never hatched fish eggs, and I've never kept any rainbows.

Meanwhile, over in the 10 gallon tank, our Endler's have not been doing great. One of the males became a belly-crawler a few days after we brought them home. One of the females has fin damage; she has a white spot on the dorsal fin, and her tail fin has some damage.

We started with 6 males and 5 females. We are down to 2 males and 2 females. Including the damaged female and the belly-crawling male. I had some old Tetra Parasite Guard & Fungus Guard, and I treated the tank twice with each of them. Today was the 2nd water change after those treatments.

I don't know what ails the crawler. But he's still eating, and he actually has started swimming a bit more lately. I don't have much experience treating sick fish, and I'm concerned that we may lose more of them.

The 36BF is doing great, and it's a bit of a jungle this morning. I am going to trim much of it back today because I have collectoritis, and I ordered 3 more species to play with from @burr740, so I have to make some room.

I wrote before about constructing a temporary photo booth in order to take glare-free tank pics during the day. I use pieces of my kids' fort-building kit to do so, but they are in fort form right now. I have only leftovers and floor lamps and the kids to help me out. My wife snapped this while my daughter and I were entertaining her by trying to setup for the above photo. Naturally, for the first shoot, I had forgotten to set the tank light to my normal photo setting. So we performed this comedy of the collapsing contraption twice.

All that work, and the rummynoses just refused to come out for picture time.

Oh, well. My scissors are sharp, and it's time to put them to use.
deeda, Greggz, ipkiss and 3 others like this.

post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 07:09 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Haha, man you've got plenty of room in there...

for another tank

post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Haha, man you've got plenty of room in there...

for another tank
I really do! Here in Texas we have plenty of room for tanks. I still have other projects around the house before I can make that happen, though. Someday...

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Post-maintenance followup.

The 36BF has room for more, now! I am moving in the direction of keeping each species in only one tank, but first I want to see how they fare in each place. The 36 lost all its Ludwigia palustris and Oldenlandia salzmannii today; most of it went to the 20. I also pulled all the Rotala wallichii; it's just not getting along with me right now. 3 stems went into the 10 just in case I want to try again.

The 10 still feels pretty crowded with those 2 massive Lobelia cardinalis 'small form' in the center dominating the tank. I only topped the left one a few days ago to see what would happen. @burr740, your snail says "Hi" from the HC patch. My son adopted it and named it Charlie.

The 20 long got all the Oldenlandia salzmannii from the 36. Added more Lud red as well as a spare baby Erio.

More pics from the 20 long. Syn Giant asking for more NO3? It did not like this tank very much at all before the Landen soil, but I attributed that to the rocks (and subsequent GH+KH increase). I'm trying it again now with lower KH, but the Ca level is still elevated.

Buces trying to recover after a lot of H2O2 damage followed by more algae. This tank is finally starting to stabilize.

Shrimp doing shrimp things. On the Ludwigia palustris with algae on older growth...

On the Proserpinaca palustris...

On the tiny patch of Monte Carlo...

I promised some pics of celestial pearl danios last weekend. Here we go:

deeda, Greggz, ipkiss and 2 others like this.

post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Zivvel Yarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post

I was perusing aquabid.com a few weeks ago, and I found what we think might be a fun experiment. I ordered some eggs: Pseudomugil Gertrudae, Spotted Blue-Eye Rainbows. Shipped Tuesday, 7/28, from Vienna, Austria, they arrived Thursday, 2 days later, at about noon. "20+" eggs for $12.39, and shipping was $18.64. They were packed in peat moss and wrapped in a foil pouch in a ziploc bag. He was nice enough to ship me some brine shrimp eggs with the fish eggs for feeding the fry.

Now, we wait. Up to 2 grueling weeks. I am keeping them in this wide vase (like a tall glass bowl) in about a quart of aged RO water. It's covered with a towel as the vendor instructed, and we're checking it daily.

I have perused Adrian Tappin's Rainbowfishes book, and I will continue to read it when I have time. Thanks @Greggz for the link to this great book in your journal!

Does anyone have any tips that could help us succeed with this? I've never hatched fish eggs, and I've never kept any rainbows.

Whoa! You went/are going through with what I was not brave enough to go through with. I saw Austria and didnít think it would have been 2 day shipping! I donít have any advice but Iíll be rooting for you! If it works out, Iíll need those tips from you!

Also, extra likes for your daughterís mural and your photo booth!
zivvel likes this.

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Whoa! You went/are going through with what I was not brave enough to go through with. I saw Austria and didnít think it would have been 2 day shipping! I donít have any advice but Iíll be rooting for you! If it works out, Iíll need those tips from you!

Also, extra likes for your daughterís mural and your photo booth!
My girl is creative and compassionate. She takes after her mom...

FISH EGGS UPDATE: I've stirred the muck around a little bit, and I can see some white eggs in there. No fry yet.

Today I learned that, months ago, I screwed up when I was trying to figure out whether I had a bag full of calcium sulfate hemihydrate or calcium sulfate dihydrate. I bought it from aquariumfertilizer.com. I've had great experience with that site, but this bag is only labeled "Calcium sulfate." I don't remember exactly how I figured it out back then, but I did it wrong. Today, I put 61mg of my powder into 500ml RO water and tested GH using 15ml of solution (so, 3 drops of reagent = 1/3 dGH). It took 12 drops to change orange to green, so GH = 4. If I had CaSO4.1/2H2O, GH would have come out to 5. Now I know I have calcium sulfate dihydrate, CaSO4.2H2O. And @Seattle_Aquarist was right.

This means I have been adding less Ca to my water than I thought. For months, I thought I was dosing my change water with 28/14ppm Ca/Mg, then I switched to 30/15, and I recently switched to 38/16. In reality, those amounts were 22/14ppm, then 23.7/15, and then 30/16.

Now is the perfect time to figure this out, as I'm about to mix up another 55 gallons. This time I'm going to go with 30/15ppm Ca/Mg (7.66 dGH), but for real. Since I'm already at 30ppm Ca by accident, I just need to reduce my epsom salts concentration by 1ppm of Mg.

I wonder how this will affect everything else. Or rather, I wonder how my recent increase from 23.7ppm Ca to 30ppm (increasing my Ca:Mg ratio to almost 2:1) has already started to affect uptake of other elements. I noted the yellowing of new growth of Syn Giants in the 20, but I did not mention that I'm also starting to see a bit of browning on the same plant at the leaf tips in the 10.

I've also never grown any AR leaves that are flat. They have always had wavy edges. I don't know what that means in terms of nutrients, but it annoys me.

Has the extra Mg led to extra N & PO4 uptake? Mulder's chart suggests it could.
Seattle_Aquarist and burr740 like this.

post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 04:56 PM
Planted Member

Man! With all this time and effort you spend on doing such careful, seemingly tedious (to me) calculations, you may as well go into saltwater side of the hobby!

I thought freshwater hobby does not need that much accuracy! Ha ha!

-Raj

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode