75G Planted - Take Two! (Picture Heavy!) - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
75G Planted - Take Two! (Picture Heavy!)

Hello everyone! I decided to start this tank over again (it recently hosted my bows, who now reside in a 40 breeder). The previous build had gotten away from me, plants were suffering, algae had taken hold, I couldn't quite get the look I was going for - and essentially, it was time for a change. So here we are - and this time around I added and changed some things to make life (maintenance) easier.

The first step was to get rid of those pesky canister filters. I know everyone seems to swear by them, but for me they are just too much work. Crawling under the cabinet, disconnecting the hoses, dragging it over to the sink, cleaning it all out then climbing back in the cabinet and hooking it all back up was not something I looked forward to. As a result, the tank suffered, and ultimately so did my interest in 'keeping it up'. Therefore, I ordered an 800gph overflow from Modular Marine (I can't say enough good things about these guys) and proceeded to drill the tank.

Before:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200509_150316134_HDR.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	899491

After:

Name:	Drilled Halfway.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	899547

Name:	AFTER.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	899549

After:

Name:	Overflow Plumbed.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	899551

As you can see in the photo above, I also drilled the back of the tank for water changes. Once a week, I can walk over, turn a valve (well, I actually have two for redundancy and as a fail-safe), and watch as the tank drains into a floor drain. No buckets, hoses, dragging canisters, etc.

Next up, the sump:

I decided to go with Poret foam after reading about it, talking with the owner, and seeing a few other tanks around with it. There is a massive surface area for bacteria to grow, and when it needs cleaning, it's simply a matter of sliding the foam out, giving it a quick rinse, and back in it goes.

The other half of the tank with return pump:

Next on the list - CO2. I wanted a good way to diffuse the CO2 that could also be hard-plumbed in. Coming from the SW/reef-tank side of things - I'm just wired to think this way. So, I've got what I coin 'The Beast':

And plumbed in:

This thing is roughly 30" tall with 2" PVC - which should give plenty of time for the CO2 to dissolve. Now...I just need a way to get CO2 to it. The regulator has two manifolds, one with a Dwyer to run the 75g and another with a simple needle valve to run the 40B. The manifolds will be controlled by my Apex monitor (which also is currently running my reef tank).

After it was all plumbed in, it was time to do the hardscape. I pondered for what seemed like months, and eventually decided on rocks - I have done driftwood and nearly every tank and I think I just honestly grew tired of 'the look'. I settled on petrified wood, sourced from a local stone supplier, and went to work placing the rocks. After an hour or two of struggling to get it just right, I realized that my failures in tank definitely do come from the design side of things. I just don't have the ability to envision it 6-12 months from now. Alas, I settled on the below (and don't mind the dirty glass):

Finally - the plants. I placed the order, and due to the COVID crisis going around - I didn't receive them until day 6 of shipment. They are pretty rough looking, but....I planted them anyways in hopes that they recover. Also - those are bubbles on the glass as I took the photo very shortly after filling the tank.

So, that was yesterday. It's progress and I'm happy to have the tank up and running. I am curious if the plants will make it as they still look VERY rough, only time will tell. If you've made it this far into my poor commentary and even worse photography skills, I appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sump with filter.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	899553  

Name:	Return Pump.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	899555  

Name:	Co2 Reactor.jpg
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	899557  

Name:	Reactor Plumbed #2.jpg
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	899559  

Name:	Co2 Regulator.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	899561  

Name:	Dwyer.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	899563  

Name:	Solenoid.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	899565  

Name:	Original layout.jpg
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	899567  

Greggz likes this.

Last edited by ProndFarms; 06-08-2020 at 12:27 AM. Reason: pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 01:18 AM
GLP
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good, and nice work on the plumbing. I may consider making my foam blocks in the sump a little shorter. It looks like it would potentially overflow if the foam starts to get clogged, or may cause the pump to run dry if the overflow water is restricted getting to it.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Planted Member

Always especially like checking out another 75. Can't see the pictures though.
carlsj2012 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldazed View Post
Always especially like checking out another 75. Can't see the pictures though.
Hmmm...I see that. Thanks for pointing that out - I'll have to go figure out why!

On a side note, is it me or is it incredibly hard to post pictures on this site? Do I need to have my photos hosted on an actual website?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post
Hmmm...I see that. Thanks for pointing that out - I'll have to go figure out why!

On a side note, is it me or is it incredibly hard to post pictures on this site? Do I need to have my photos hosted on an actual website?

So...I have no idea why, but it appears when viewing this thread on a mobile phone the images don't appear. However, when viewing the forum on a desktop/laptop, the images appear fine.

Is anyone else having issues viewing the photos? I'm not sure why posting photos is this difficult, lol. I used to be able to just drag and drop...

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 07:03 AM
Algae Grower

I'm on PC, images look good to me. In fact, the images are there twice!
ProndFarms likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

On iPad , I see them as well! Seeing them twice, once in the write up and once as attached images...

Doug
ProndFarms likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the feedback. I store my images in Google photos, so I think as long as I link to the image I should be ok.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Yeah on google photos I always drag everything to an album and then share from there, seems to always work

That's awesome that you started the tank bank up. a rescape always gets you back into the hobby and keeps it interesting.

Good idea with drilling that hole for the waterchange system, seems much smarter to just drain directly from the DT rather than doing smaller changes from the sump.

Do you think you could get the Apex to control both tanks? or just using it to keep this CO2 in check?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
Yeah on google photos I always drag everything to an album and then share from there, seems to always work

That's awesome that you started the tank bank up. a rescape always gets you back into the hobby and keeps it interesting.

Good idea with drilling that hole for the waterchange system, seems much smarter to just drain directly from the DT rather than doing smaller changes from the sump.

Do you think you could get the Apex to control both tanks? or just using it to keep this CO2 in check?
Can you expand on this a bit? Are you creating a new folder within Google photos? Or creating a new folder locally on your computer?

As for the Apex, it currently controls everything on my reef tank and is controlling the lights and co2 on one of my freshwater tanks. I plan to have it control a third tank as well in the future. I have attached a pic as reference.

As you can see in the photo by looking at the pH Fresh graph, the Apex recently turned on the Co2, driving down the pH. For me, it will drive it down to 6.6, hold it there until one hour before lights off, then turn the Co2 off until the following days cycle.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Yes, just another album in Google photos and then link directly from there

That's awesome. I have always wanted an apex but didn't know if I could set it up for multiple tanks. guess there's nothing stopping it just have to label each device different based on which tank it is at.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Small update today. Unfortunately, sitting in a USPS sorting facility and truck for 5 days wasn't high on my plants priority list and most of them melted away.

Luckily, the awesome person I bought them from sent most of my original order again as well as tossed in a few freebies! You really have to admire most of the people in this hobby - such genuinely darn good people. Anywho, I'll make a stock list soon, but wanted to post a few pics!

And...I've also realized that my cell phone really takes awful pics. May have to bust out the real camera soon!

Greggz and Bon MotMot like this.

Last edited by ProndFarms; 06-11-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: pics
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey @ProndFarms good to see you back.

Looks like a very nice start, and look forward to seeing where this goes.

How are the Bows doing? Back in this tank soon?

---
---
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

And...why not, I'm on a roll. Current stock list as of 6/10:

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown'
Hottonia palustris

Hygrophila odora
Hygrophila sp. 'Brown'
Hygrophilia lancea 'Araguaia'
Limnophila sp. 'Bonsai'
Limnophila aromatica 'Mini'
Limnophila rugosa

Ludwigia sp. 'Red'
Ludwigia inclinata

Ludwigia arcuata
Mayaca fluviatilis
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Proserpinaca palustris
Rotala sp. 'Enie'
Rotala rotundifolia 'Ceylon Pink'
Rotala colorata
Rotala mexicana 'Goias'

So...what I currently have is wayyyyy too many plants. But - it's also a perfect time to see what grows and what doesn't do so well. Once things get settled in, I can do a better job of arranging and aquascaping rather than the current cornucopia of chaotic planting.

Next on the list is figuring out my water changes. I still need a water storage container (40g +). I think at the moment I am planning to use a 50% mix of RODI water and tap. Right now the water coming out of my tap is about 10 dGH and 6 dKH - I'd like to bump that down to roughly 5 and 3, respectively.
Immortal1 likes this.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Hey @ProndFarms good to see you back.

Looks like a very nice start, and look forward to seeing where this goes.

How are the Bows doing? Back in this tank soon?

Hey there, great to hear from you. Bows are currently in their own 40B, and may actually end up staying in there. For this current tank, I'm still up in the air, but leaning heavily towards a pair of GBR's, a pair/trio of Apisto macmasteri 'Redneck', and/or a pair/trio of Apisto baenschi 'Inka' with a hefty helping of pencilfish/tetras for the mid-upper water area. And yes, I know the Apistos are much more suited to a blackwater setup (which ironically, I was going to do with the 40B), but, I think I'm going to try it out and see what happens. Worst-case scenario, I can always drop the bows back in and move the apistos to the 40B!

I am already MUCH happier with the automation and 'ease' of maintenance on this tank and really looking forward to watching it grow.

As for you - I still marvel at your journal daily and congrats on your recent bit of 'fame'

Almost forgot the bows current residence:

Greggz likes this.

Last edited by ProndFarms; 06-11-2020 at 01:04 AM. Reason: forgot pics!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode