75G Planted - Take Two! (Picture Heavy!) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Minor update.

Tank seems to be chugging along pretty good, most plants growing strong and healthy. I have a huge boom occurring for the past 3-5 days, assuming it is bacterial? Will do my weekly 50% water change today as well. Tank needs a good trim, but will probably wait for water to clear so I can actually see what I am trimming, ha!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quick bit about the Apex. I knew I loved the control from me reef tank, but I really didn't realize how easy it would make my life for this planted tank. The image below shows the pH trend in a typical day - you can see as the CO2 comes on and the pH rapidly drops, then follow it along as the Apex controls the solenoid to keep the pH at roughly 6.6, then watch as the pH climbs back up after lights off - super consistent and I don't have to lift a finger. Heck, you can even see when I dosed my ferts for the day by the quick drop in pH near the end if the graph.

Oh, and a pre-cloudy water FTS, because, why not?

Greggz and doug105! like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just thought I would throw out a quick update. Tank seems to be doing really well (finally got past the cloudy water diatom stage that seemed to last for 3-4 weeks), no algae issues, plants are all growing well. I did a very large trim on nearly everything a week ago. This is the result a week later.

As for the inhabitants, I finally have some fish coming on Wednesday:

Apisto hongsloi (pair)
Apisto baenschi (unsexed x4)

I'm still looking for pencilfish which really seem to be difficult for me to source, and I may add a school of Emporer Tetras.

Greggz, doug105! and evil8 like this.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking great!

Nice work and glad to see you back in the game!
ProndFarms likes this.

---
---
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Small update - added 20 Beckfords Red pencilfish to the tank today. Noticing a bit of BBA and cyano appearing on the rocks and a few plant leaves - will manually remove what i can and keep a close eye on that.

Additionally considering a small powered to increase movement in the tank at the opposite end of the return.

FTS for fun.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Greggz and rzn7z7 like this.

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Great looking full tank shot.

This tank is really coming very nicely.

You should post the rest of the details sometime. Would like to hear about your dosing and thoughts on why you think things are going so well this time around.

---
---
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Great looking full tank shot.

This tank is really coming very nicely.

You should post the rest of the details sometime. Would like to hear about your dosing and thoughts on why you think things are going so well this time around.
Thanks Greg! If I can figure out how to get it to post in my signature, I'll add the excel dosing file that a lot of us are using now.

As for current success, I sheepishly admit that it's 90% dedication and cleanliness. 50% weekly water changes, pruning unhealthy plant leaves, and generally just giving the tank the attention it deserves.

I do have a fair amount of green cyano on the sand bed currently. I've tried removing it with my weekly WC, but in true cyano fashion it comes back weekly. I'm really trying to avoid any chemical additives in this tank... anyone have a solution?

As for the rest of the inhabitants, I really need more, more, more! Still torn on what to get in addition to the pencils, but my current mindset is 30 or so coral red pencils and an equal amount of black empower tetras.

Unfortunately the male half of my hongsloi apisto perished (i believe he ingested a few BBS egg shells that mistakenly found their way into the tank), so I currently just have the Hongsloi female and 4 McMaster juvies still growing out as far as Apistos go.

Pics as always.

rzn7z7 likes this.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post
As for current success, I sheepishly admit that it's 90% dedication and cleanliness. 50% weekly water changes, pruning unhealthy plant leaves, and generally just giving the tank the attention it deserves.
Shhhhhh!!

You just gave away the secret to a high tech planted tank!!
Immortal1 and mourip like this.

---
---
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Shhhhhh!!

You just gave away the secret to a high tech planted tank!!
Haha! #truth

Now how do I get rid of this pesky cyano?

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post
Haha! #truth

Now how do I get rid of this pesky cyano?

I would not mess around.

Chemiclean.

Better to get it over quick.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode