AcidGambit's Lake Tanganyika (21 Long) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 04:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
nicely done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Really interested to see your flow pattern with the rear outflows once it's planted. One thing that caught my attention in a previous post was the water back siphoning through your return lines. Can your sump take all the backflow when the pump turns off or do you have another method like syphon breaks/check valves?

Can't wait to see this progress.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
Really interested to see your flow pattern with the rear outflows once it's planted. One thing that caught my attention in a previous post was the water back siphoning through your return lines. Can your sump take all the backflow when the pump turns off or do you have another method like syphon breaks/check valves?

Can't wait to see this progress.
Most of the recommendations that I've read say that you shouldn't rely on check valves to prevent your sump from overflowing. I adjusted the angle of my returns so that the sump can handle the amount of water that siphons into it when the return pump is off. The thinking is that siphon breaks (which are typically small holes) can also clog fairly easily, so it's best to just rely on sump volume to make it work. As it stands, I don't have much wiggle room when the return pump is off, so I'll probably add another link of Loc-Line to my returns so that I can lift the return nozzles further up.
Hendy8888 likes this.

My Tank Journal:

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The crazy thing about this setup is that the fan on the Neptune Energy Bar is louder than the water sounds from the sump/overflow/return pump. They're truly silent. In fact, today I was using an "ocean wave" noise generator while working at my desk because my tank wasn't creating any noise!

My Tank Journal:
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

All equipment, including the light is setup and working well. I now have full control of my return pump speed, light intensity, and light color from one location. Next step is to drain the tank so that I can move the stand back against the wall.

My Tank Journal:
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Rock work is in (seuriyu stone)! The rock work is laid out to give 3-4 separate territories for the multis to setup shop. I also intentionally left a bunch of caves in the main rock pile to accommodate either some julidochromis transcriptus or a goby cichlid.

I used aquarium silicone to hold some of it because multis like to re-landscape the sand in their surroundings. It will be tough, but I plan to give the silicon a week to cure before I fill in sand, shells, and fill the tank up. In the meantime, enjoy!

My Tank Journal:
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Let's talk about shells. The showpiece of this tank will be a colony of neolamprologus multifasciatus ("multies"). These fish live and breed in snail shells. Escargot shells are the go-to shell that most people use in their tanks. I bought escargot shells (the large brown shell in the picture), but I also bought several other types of shells to get more texture and variety in the tank. Some of shells are too small for the adult multies, but fry and juveniles may use them.

My Tank Journal:
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

We're live! Sand and shells are in and I flooded the tank.

pH is moving around a bunch, so I'm not sure what to think of the Lake Tanganyika buffer I am using. I am going to let the tank sit for a week or two before I start the cycle so that I can see where it stabilizes. I'll start the cycle after I figure that out, then plant it, then go for fish.
reddhawkk likes this.

My Tank Journal:
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The directions for Seachem Lake Tanganyika Buffer say "Use 5 g (1 level teaspoon) for each 40Ė80 L (10 to 20 US gallons) of water each day until desired pH is attained and maintained. Thereafter, use as required to maintain pH, usually no more than once every two to three weeks." My pH dropped precipitously from 9.4 to closing in on 8 over the first 24 hours. I added more yesterday and it looks like the pH stabilized at 8.3. I'm torn on what to do next because the lake itself has a pH of 9, but one of the breeders I have been talking to keeps his tanks at 8.2. I think that I am going to add more buffer and target a pH close to, but slightly under 9. That should give me a high enough pH for any wild-caught fish, while also not being too far off from holding tanks and/or breeding tanks.

My Tank Journal:
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

For those of you that have been following along, I put in a pre-order for fish. I should receive the following near the end of the month:
  • 8x Neolamprolagus Multifasciatus
  • 3x Julidochromis Transcriptus

In the meantime I need to cycle the tank and add some (minimal) plants.

My Tank Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode