• 1 Post By taylorwinhaha
  • 1 Post By taylorwinhaha
  • 2 Post By mourip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
25 Landen Rimless

I have not had a tank for almost 20 years. My last one was a heavily planted 75 gallon converted reef tank with sump, CO2 and 4 fluorescent tubes on timers. Hot stuff at the time. It was successful but after reading online for the past few months I am starting to think that I had beginners’ luck. The tank did last for 5 years.

Fast forward to yesterday. I now have the bug again and just received a beautiful 25 gallon Landen rimless tank with low iron glass. My plan is to try a low-tech approach this time. I received an Oase Biomaster Thermo 250 today. Still contemplating substrate and lighting. A testing kit will come soon to help me decide based upon how I find my tap water. I have not ruled out CO2 and strong lights yet but am still headed toward low light easy plants.

My current thoughts about substrate are a 1” layer of some type of aquasoil and a 1-2”+ layer of sand. For light I am really stumped due to the remarkable array of options. I would like the ability to dim and to recreate dawn and dusk.

I bought the driftwood on eBay. It is visually great but remarkably buoyant. It is also pretty soft. It is soaking in a spare bathtub under considerable weight. That could take a while!

Here are a few pictures from the Landen unboxing. The packaging was remarkable. It was a wooden crate.

Suggestions for substrate and lighting are welcome!

Best,
Paul

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	899109

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	899111

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	899113

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	899115

Last edited by mourip; 06-22-2020 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Change of direction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

That’s a stunning looking tank - haha but not sure you need to do anything further

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmartin View Post
That’s a stunning looking tank - haha but not sure you need to do anything further

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far, so good :-)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

Post more in progress!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPlantsAquarium View Post
Post more in progress!
Will do.

We had a change of venue for the tank today and moved it to the basement Den which is a more water disaster friendly location. Monday I go to Ikea to get a Besta cabinet. After that I can start the real build. Now that I will have a cabinet rather than a desk I may go for CO2 and stronger lighting.

I could still use a recommendation for lighting!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 AM
Algae Grower

Nice looking tank, what are the dimensions? I was thinking to get myself 20 gallon long (and ofc shallow) as a next tank.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompiduk View Post
Nice looking tank, what are the dimensions? I was thinking to get myself 20 gallon long (and ofc shallow) as a next tank.
It is really beautiful and even holds water!

~24" x 16" x 16" (60x40x40cm)

If I knew how much the whole project would cost and also where I would end up putting the tank I would have opted for a tank that was more like 36 x 16 x 16 due to the nice proportions.

Still I am totally satisfied with the quality.

Bump: So I have changed my direction a bit. I was originally thinking of going Walstad but since I used CO2 before and had good results I have switched to stronger lighting and CO2.

Here is where I am now.

CO2Art Pro SE kit. I did not want to piece together the CO2 setup even if it might have lasted longer than I will...

Current USA 24"-36" Satellite Plus PRO LED with controller: I am not sure that I like the mounts. I really wanted pendant lights to give that halogen shimmer but my wife gets migraines. I still may look at other lighting since I have free returns from Amazon for a while.

OASE Indoor Aquatics Biomaster Thermo: Nice filter that allows the thermometer to be located outside the tank. I am big on a clean, tech-free tank look. I got glass pipes to go with it and the CO2 will be inline...for now.

Rocks and wood are lined up but I may have made a bad choice on my driftwood. It is still soaking in our basement bathtub. Could take a while. I may need to find a more vertical position if it is still buoyant or just get something else. Looked great online :-)

Plants and fish TBD. Probably Tetras, Cories, Ottos and Amano shrimp. Easy care plants to start with some fast growing ones to help with the early cycle phase. A few floaters also.

Substrate: That part made me crazy. I ordered some Fluval Stratum as a bottom layer with pool sand for the top and front.

Wish me luck!

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	899417

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	899419

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	899421
zmartin likes this.

Last edited by mourip; 06-05-2020 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Photos added
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I sent back the Current USA 24"-36" Satellite Plus PRO LED last week and have a Twinstar 600SA coming. More expensive but not so industrial looking and is adjustable.

Fired up the Oase filter and after burping it a few times it seems to be pretty quiet. I have some driftwood curing in the tank currently and putting out tannin so I order a packet of Purigen to help with that.

Still working on the basic hardscape. No living things for a bit...

Oh. I managed to break a lily pipe before I even pulled water through it. Doh!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
yes, I think switching out the lights was a good idea. the mounting hardware for the satellite made the tank look bulky. hopefully the twinstar will look better, worth the $$$

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 09:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
yes, I think switching out the lights was a good idea. the mounting hardware for the satellite made the tank look bulky. hopefully the twinstar will look better, worth the $$$

I have the twinstar 600S pendant light on a 60 rimless. The ATLED mount is perfect! I 10/10 recommend for a modern/seemless look.
Here is a picture of it!

mourip likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name:	IMG_2964.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	900177

Still working on hardscape. My current plan is a few stem plants in the rear with Java fern, Bolbitis and Buce attached to the centerpiece. The centerpiece turns very dark brown when submersed and loses some of the nice detail. Plants should change everything.

Seems a bit busy to me right now. The front will be pool sand which should provide some contrast.

Replacement lights come on Thursday!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
Attachment 900177

Still working on hardscape. My current plan is a few stem plants in the rear with Java fern, Bolbitis and Buce attached to the centerpiece. The centerpiece turns very dark brown when submersed and loses some of the nice detail. Plants should change everything.

Seems a bit busy to me right now. The front will be pool sand which should provide some contrast.

Replacement lights come on Thursday!

I can imagine the contrast with sand, but have you considered a fully carpeted foreground and background? I think it would look amazing!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorwinhaha View Post
I can imagine the contrast with sand, but have you considered a fully carpeted foreground and background? I think it would look amazing!
Thanks for the encouragement. I always like the island look so my plan was to start with a sandy foreground. The stem plant background was to help with avoiding the possible initial algae bloom. I can always add carpeting plants later. I am sure that it would look great!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I always like the island look so my plan was to start with a sandy foreground. The stem plant background was to help with avoiding the possible initial algae bloom. I can always add carpeting plants later. I am sure that it would look great!

I think you just pointed out something else that I didn't consider before I get started with filling my tank. UGHH. So many things plan and try to mitigate.
mourip likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yesterday I connected with another aquarist via Craigs List who coincidentally lives about a mile from me. He is breaking down a heavily planted tank and had been trying to sell it for many weeks. I asked him if he might just sell his plants and luckily he agreed.

His tank looks healthy and he had a lot of the plants that I am looking for so we struck a deal. Within a day or so I will collect them. The nice things is that they are large and used to the same water that my tank will be using.

The other plus is that it forced me to decide on hardscape and to finally add the soil and sand to my tank.

Pictures soon...
JAAG and belka085 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode