rajdude's "house of horrors" tank! Saltwater to freshwater conversion. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The double wall on overflow box is a high/low flow balanced design so water is pulled into all the slots on outer wall equally.

When you get tank clean set on garage floor or outside on a level surface, shim if needed and leak test for few days to make sure all the seems are solid and donít burst. You donít want that happening in your house.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
The double wall on overflow box is a high/low flow balanced design so water is pulled into all the slots on outer wall equally.

When you get tank clean set on garage floor or outside on a level surface, shim if needed and leak test for few days to make sure all the seems are solid and donít burst. You donít want that happening in your house.
Thanks for this info on the overflow box, Dave. It's a curious design. I used to think that weirs are supposed to skim water from the surface of the tank, so that it stays clean of the buildup we sometimes see in our tanks.

Also I read that co2 setups benefit from water skimmers, I forgot what their point was though.

And yes, I do plan to set this tank up on it's stand in the garage for a few days. Wanna make 100% it doesn't leak. The seller insisted that it doesn't leak, but when I went to pick it up, I noticed the carpet under it was wet. I pointed that out to them, but didn't get a satisfactory answer.

Maybe the two bulkhead fittings leak. I do plan to change those washers/seals with brand new ones.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
DaveKS likes this.

-Raj

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 08:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When you get to water testing with pump float a little flake food in front of those lower slots and youíll see it suck it and upswell in the slot sweep it up and over that inner wall rim.

We were building tanks with those type of overflows late 90ís early 2K era so theyíve been around for a while.

You basically need enough pump to fill all the slots with decent water flow. If you want to go with lower output pump it wouldnít be hard to modify that inner wall but still get good surface extraction.

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Arrow Clean tank!

All right folks! I got the tank and the overflow super clean. The towel soaked in vinegar got almost all of the overflow clean. It dissolved almost everything there into a toothpaste type thingy.

So I got excited and went out and bought some Muriatic acid for the internal baffle of the overflow...it still had tons of deposits. But the acid did it Man it fizzes and releases the bond almost immediately. Now the overflow's inside is squeaky clean!

I have set it up in the garage to check for leaks. Check out the pics:

Filling it:

I cannot get rid of these smudges in the glass, presumably made by the wavemakers

and

Overflow looks pretty big after filling it with water

Blue Ridge Reef and Matt69 like this.

-Raj

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Unhappy Bummer!

Uh! oh! Bad news...

I discovered some pretty obvious scratches. Looks like someone tried hard to take off something. Too bad the glass is scratched right in the middle of the viewing area. These were not obvious when I was cleaning the tank. Only after I filled water in it they became apparent. They are pretty visible when the tank is lighted up. I taped the background back, temporarily to see if I can live with the scratches...I guess I have no choice at this point They are hard to photograph....but pretty visible in person.

I'm pretty disappointed!

Check it out...

I do not think scratches on glass can be repaired or reduced, right?

-Raj

Last edited by rajdude; 06-01-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Added photos
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've heard of removing scratches with baking soda toothpaste or metal polish, but I have not idea if it actually works. Worst case scenario if you can't live with the scratched tank you could probably turn a profit on it now that it's all clean!
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
oh nooo, what a bummer!

yeah, I've googled it extensively and came up with the answer that polishing the glass was going be a fruitless effort. I have a scratch on the center of my tank as well and it's pretty deep since I can feel it with my finger nail. Several reef sites tried to suggest that using cerium oxide could get them out but it left a big hazy spot around the scratch and made it more visible.

To be honest it is a pretty nice tank, you've already put the effort into cleaning it and once you have the tank scaped and with fish the scratch shouldn't be super visible in the grand scheme of things.

sucks to have found it at this point but if it doesn't leak then I would move forward and keep setting up the tank.

Option b. would you consider plugging up the drilled holes/removing the overflow and turning the back glass into the main front glass?
you could set up the tank with filter pipes that come over the sides like normal?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 05:17 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Barkeeper's Friend might be worth a try.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Unhappy Leak?

Thanks guys. I think I am going to keep moving on with this project. It is definitely not worth trying to fix the scratches...just like you said,....and I also read a lot of stores on the internet. As for using it back to front...well, the whole point of getting this tank (personally speaking) was the built in overflow.
I think I can live with the scratches for now.

But wait! Is this a leak?

For two days, I have been watching a dark, slightly damp patch at the corner, in the wood...labelled as "1" in the photo. When I used to touch it, it felt damp. No drips on the floor, it did not spread, but that area stayed dark and damp. Only today I notice that it has dried up.

I do see a tiny dark area ..labelled as "2" . But I cannot determine if "2" is damp today. Maybe it is merely coloring of the wood.

Would it take two days for a wet area to dry out in a hot garage?

-Raj

post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Barkeeper's Friend might be worth a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWVoYKNNi7c
Thanks for this tip!

I have that stuff. Works wonders on kitchen sinks and such. It seems to be a fine abrasive powder.

I will try to use it on the wavemaker mount smudges on the sides of the tank first.

-Raj

post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
is there a way to set up the tank on another flat area to try and see if its leaking?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
is there a way to set up the tank on another flat area to try and see if its leaking?

Well, it has those bulkhead fittings jutting out from the bottom of the tank. Those prevent it from being setup on a flat area, like the floor.

I wonder if I could just remove those fittings and not fill it all the way up...........so the inside of the overflow stays dry.......that may allow me to set it up on the garage floor......right?

-Raj

post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Red face update

Wow, about one and a half month has passed? Too many things to do, too little time. Hence progress on this project is rather slow.
Here is an update:

I managed to finish painting the cabinet and tank's trim white.

Along the way, found some water damage to the bottom of the cabinet. Replaced that plywood with solid wood. Then scraped and filled in the other water damage. Finally primed and painted it. Used Rustoleum Epoxy for appliances. Here are some pics

Makeshift paint booth in garage.....bad idea! got over spray even 15 feet away!

Cabinet's photo, I think this was taken before the final coat.

I sprayed the trim white, this looks good to me! Sooo much better than than old fashioned fake oak wood finish.

-Raj

Last edited by rajdude; 07-20-2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added photos
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks good.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Red face A little update

Hello world!

here is an update on this project.

I spent a couple of weeks designing and building the sump. There is a seperate thread about that, seen here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...uild-sump.html

Now I am doing the plumbing. Here is what I had planned for:

The PVC parts were bought from FlexPVC online. The box was big, heavy and expensive to ship like $35 shipping!

There are a lot of small things which need to be done. Like the glass canopies wont fit, too small. So I removed the original middle support and installed some glass strips, like this.

Here is how the canopy now sits on the top:

Then I installed the black background. It was surprisingly easy to do. Hopefully the massive, ugly overflow box will blend into the background.

I have been plumbing it for the past 2-3 days. Here is what the whole thing looks like today. Still gotta do the vertical plumbing parts. Off to do that now...

PS: I know, I know......too many elbows there! But I was out of space. Needed to leave space for CO2 cylinder on the right side and needed enough length for the manifold. Plus, if I moved the sump all the way to the right, the durso drain wont fit easily with 45 degree PVC pipe fittings. More details on all those thoughts later.
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

-Raj

Tags
dirty tank, saltwater to freshwater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode