• 1 Post By FishFan13
  • 1 Post By FishFan13
  • 2 Post By FishFan13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Autumn Leaves- 20 gallon long

I have been out of the game for a couple years because of moving around.

I decided that it was time to have a tank again. I finnially have the money to get what I want instead of what is cheapest and I'm really excited for this tank.

I got a 20 long. I was debating between that and a 40 breeder but went with the 20 because I already had a lot of things for smaller tanks.

Equipment:
Lily Pipes
Eheim 2250
Inline water heater
Inline atomizer
5lb co2 tank
Finnex Planted+ 24/7 HLC
Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump

Hardscape:
seiryu stone
bonsai tree
Black sand

I don't have all the equipment yet but most of it is ordered and on the way. Everything will be here by Monday so I will order plants soon.

My two little girls are super excited about this tank. I can't wait to see their faces once I put fish and shrimp in it.

I really wanted a rimless tank but I learned my lesson that tanks without tops are not good with small kids. My daughter dropped my phone in my last tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200526_144812.png
Views:	13
Size:	798.1 KB
ID:	898951  

belka085 likes this.

Last edited by FishFan13; 06-03-2020 at 02:43 PM. Reason: change title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I decided to start cycling my tank before I get my plants. So I filled it up and started dosing ammonia.
I got some gravel my my neighbors 30 year old tank and borrowed his test kit until mine came.

My test kit came today and neighbors test kit abd his nitrite test doesn't work. No matter how much nitrite is in the water, it still shows zero.

So my nitrites where off the chart because I thought I had none. So I did a 90% water change and now they are down to .25ppm. hopefully this will help it cycle faster.

My light and backlight also came today and I was playing with the light settings. I'm really excited for sunrise and sunset everyday.

The backlight has a hotspot in the picture but it is much more of an even gradient in real life.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200601_185457_1591060038787.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	899297  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got my plants in. I wasn't expecting them because I never got an email saying they shipped. I'm a little worried about them because some of them came with all the leaves melted off.

I also don't have CO2 in the tank yet because I ordered an atomizer but accidentally got one for the wrong size tubing. So I had to order another one and it didn't have 2 day shipping from Amazon.

I picked a lot of yellow, red, and orange plants to make it seem like autumn. After I made the order, I relized I should have gone with rotala rotundifolia orange juice instead of green. I will probably change it out at some point.

Plant list:
Alternanthera Reineckii 'mini'
DHG belem
HC cuba
Rotala rotiundifolia green
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Ludwigia Natans super red
Nesaea Pedicellata golden

I have also ordered Caloglossa cf. beccarii or red moss to add to the bonsai tree
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200602_134537.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	899329  

Name:	IMG_20200602_134610.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	899331  

Name:	IMG_20200602_134617.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	899333  

belka085 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks nice. Make sure you get the co2 going very soon or some of those plants will not do well. Also keep your light on a very short leash. Very dim with maybe 3 hrs of good the rest of the way. With hardscape heavy tanks and limited plant mass, light management is extremely important.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
wait is it really an eheim 2250? seems like a ton for this size tank

I love the backlight, I'm sure it's going to look great to give that sunrise/ sunset effect

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
wait is it really an eheim 2250? seems like a ton for this size tank
When I looked at my amazon order from years ago, it called it a 250. I didn't feel like getting up to check the label of the filter. I just checked the label on the filter. It is a 2213

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My tank cycled so I ordered 30 long fin white cloud mountain minnows that will be arriving on Tuesday. I'm also looking for some red or blue ramshorn snails for a clean up crew. I'm going to let the tank age a little bit before I add bloody mary shrimp.

I had a lot of melting in the beginning but now it has mostly stopped and things are starting to grow. All but one stem of the alternanthera reineckii 'mini' and ludwigia natans super red melt. I thought I had lost all of the ludwigia natans but one stem survived but it almost didn't make it. The AR mini is starting to grow really well. I have never had it grow well for me before so what I'm doing must be working for it.

I did lose all of the nesaea pedicellata golden so I ordered another bunch off of [Ebay Link Removed] I'm pretty sure it came with duckweed. I started to see some duckweed pop up after I added it. I think I got it all out though. It started to grow but the growth is small and deformed. I'm going to give it a little bit before I start changing things. I think the deformed growth might just be because of the move.

I also lost a lot of the HC but it is starting to grow and the last time I had some, it grew out of control so I'm not going to buy more.

I added some rotala rotundifolia orange juice and Rotala Macrandra Mini Butterfly. I'm not sure how the mini butterfly is going to do. My water has a KH and GH of 7 but I will see if I can make it work.

I lost all but 1 inch of stem of the hydrocotyle tripartita. I wasn't even sure if the one little stem would survive but it is starting to grow some leaves.

Today I started to see some bladder snails. I love ramshorns because I think they are cute but I *do not* like bladder snails. That's what I get for not quarantining my plants.

I also added two stems of bacopa (I think) it came with the nesaea pedicellata for free. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. It is the stem in the right side of the tank. It will not be staying there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200619_131304.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	900043  

Blue Ridge Reef and Karley like this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looking good! I'd have been inclined to start with the shrimp to get your population up before adding the wccm, but maybe there will be enough cover to raise up some shrimplets.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode