• 2 Post By hlaalu
  • 1 Post By Capsaicin_MFK
  • 1 Post By Capsaicin_MFK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
New 10 Gallon Build

Hi itís been a while but Iím starting a new planted tank! I plan to have shrimp and maybe a few small fish when itís done.

The tank is a dennerle 10 gallon and currently planted with dwarf hair grass and baby tears. Iím hoping they will make a nice carpet. Iím trying out the dry start method because last time I planted baby tears they ended up floating constantly to the top. Hopefully this will allow them to grow some nice roots. I also plan on adding java moss to the driftwood pieces.

For lighting I have a Finnex LED, I believe itís 16 watts.
Filter, Iím still undecided but leaning towards the Eheim 2211.
I am going to run Co2 for the first time. Wanted to do the paintball setup but after running around town yesterday I could not find a single place that sells or refills, so now Iím thinking of just getting a small 5 pound tank from the local airgas place.

Tank has been up for 3 days so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Roots!

Also added some java to the drift wood

Some of it came pretty brown/yellow. Hope it makes it

Discusluv likes this.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A lot of growth with the baby tears, they are spreading out a bit, gaining height, and roots are going deeper:

The java moss looks dead, very brown:

Also started setting up some equipment, I picked up a 5lb co2 tank and an fzone regulator.

Filter will be a new fluval 107 with glass lily pipes, though the return is very large so I will probably swap it for something else.

The lighting currently is a finnex 24/7 LED.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just flooded the tank and hooked everything up. All plants were firmly rooted and no floaters

I have the co2 at 2 bubbles a second right now. Itís been two hours and my drop checker is still blue. Should I increase co2?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update! Carpet is looking great! I had a nasty green water algae bloom but I think that has passed. Did a bunch of water changes and turned up the co2 a bit

Baby tears is always pearling and the dwarf hair grass is rooting and spreading like crazy! Itís so fun to see everything grow each day!

Discusluv and belka085 like this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank is looking great! Loving that lush carpet. Excited to see your fish collection.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looking really good! Such a nice looking carpet. What type of shrimp will you be adding? Any ideas?

Amy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! I would love some crs so they stand out against the green carpet. I also need some plants for the driftwood pieces next once the algae situation is 100% gone. I think Iím close!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Great job! I'm currently dealing with HC that doesn't want to root, so I have a couple plant lead weights on top of the carpet. I have always had success with DSM. Try getting super glue gel to place some moss on the driftwood now that you flooded the tank!
hlaalu likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
Great job! I'm currently dealing with HC that doesn't want to root, so I have a couple plant lead weights on top of the carpet. I have always had success with DSM. Try getting super glue gel to place some moss on the driftwood now that you flooded the tank!

Nice, I actually have a bunch of gel that I use for fragging coral. What moss do you recommend? When I tried it years ago it always just fills with hair algae. I didnít use co2 though so maybe that will help?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaalu View Post
Nice, I actually have a bunch of gel that I use for fragging coral. What moss do you recommend? When I tried it years ago it always just fills with hair algae. I didnít use co2 though so maybe that will help?

Just pick any moss that you enjoy. I have a preference for Fissidens fontanus, but I've seen some really nice christmas moss, or taiwan moss growth on branches in people's aquariums.
hlaalu likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode