The Planted Tank Forum banner

17 Gal - High Tech Nature Aquarium

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MasterP 
#1 · (Edited)
Just go back into the hobby after a couple of years on hiatus. Figured it would be a good time considering the current situation we are all stuck in.

Here's some details about the tank so far:

Tank: 17 Gallon Mr. Aqua
Stand: Ikea Besta White with Glossy Doors (Not here yet)
Filter: Eheim 2215/Lily Pipes
Lights: Twinstar II 600s
Co2 regulator: Co2 Art Pro Regulator / 5lb CO2 Tank / GLA inline diffuser
Substrate: ADA aquasoil in the middle of the rocks and Play Sand around the rocks
Fertz: Will make, not sure what mix yet, but probably a more lean type of fert mix

I haven't gotten any idea on any plants yet, what are some suggestions you guys have? Especially for the middle-ish back ground part

Here's the list of plants I'm thinking of getting so far:

Mini Pellia / Anubias Petite / Downoi / Rotala H'ra / Bucephalandras / Mini Fissiden / Weeping Moss

Wood Natural material Art Fossil Event

See less See more
#3 ·
True, I'm not sure what moss to do between mini pellia or weeping moss. I wanted to make it look more like a nature aquarium. I feel like mini pellia has a very clean, and can make nice bushes. While weeping moss makes the wood have more an aged looked to it. So far, I am undecided on what to get.

#4 ·
Here's an update! Just filled in the tank. I got a couple new plants to fill the hardscape! So far I've added:

- Some random bucephanlandras (in the front)
- Mini Bolbitis (far back left and right rocks)
- Trident Java Fern (middle)
- Dwarf Hair Grass (left and right front)
- Callicostella Prabaktiana (front tree branches)
- Rotala Rotundfolia Red (Far back middle)
- Ludwigia Arcuata (Middle)

Any suggestions for scape improvement or plants?

I'm waiting on my Inflow and then I will have the tank fully set up with co2 and all. Excited to see how this will one will grow out! :grin2::grin2:

Attachments

#7 ·
Mourip, now that you mention it a 29G is significantly heavier than a 17 gallon. I believe most members are able to sustain a 17-20g on an ikea besta stand. However, a 29G would be an extra load of 70-80 pounds considering that 1 gallon of water ~ 8.35 pounds. If you were to go the Besta route, you would definitely need extra reinforcement

#9 ·
Yeah I agree, it was the only wood I could find to fit what I wanted for the scape. I am planning to cover most of the sawed off portions with moss (callicostella prabakatiana), which is supposed to a have a weeping moss texture. That way it will cover up the unnaturalness of the cuts.

#10 ·
Update! Just did a big trimming today of the rotala rotundfolia "red" and rotala arcuata. My plan is to cut them 3-4" from the substrate to get them to split into two stems, and then cut them again from there. I also took some stems and filled in the small gaps in between the rotalas to give it that bushier look. So far things are looking good, and the tank is running well with little presence of algae (fingers crossed!!! :laugh2:) I did add some more trident java fern to the tank, and hopefully they will grow to be more dense.

Also added 5 amano shrimps to help combat any algae that might pop up. I plan to add some otos and more amanos once the tank settles some more. Will update again once the plants grow out, and hopefully I start seeing that orangeish/redish hue. Excited~!!!

Before trim:
Plant Purple Organism Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

After Trim:
Plant Purple Botany Branch Wood

#11 · (Edited)
About another month has passed, the tank has grown tremendously! The background plants have started filling in and the reds are starting to come in.

I trimmed back the trident java fern because it was looking untamed, and replanted the runners to get a more bushy look. So far the algae has pretty much disappeared, and tank maintenance has been a lot easier. It went from 2-3 water changes a week to the standard 50% water change. Lean dosing has also made the growth a lot more manageable than compared to EI dosing I've tried in the past. Reds are also popping a lot more. Just waiting for the moss to grow in to get that more aged forest look. Excited for the future!

Also ignore the ADA aquasoil that's spilling in the front. The amano shrimp seem to love to push around the substrate in the middle of my tank to the front.

Plant Plant community Botany Branch Organism

#12 ·
Almost 2 months later. Things are looking good, and the tank has been stable. I have been doing water changes pretty randomly compared to the schedule water changes during the first few weeks. The plants are taking care of themselves! I probably need to get some schooling fish to finish the look, maybe some rummy nose :). Thoughts on improvements?

Background: I will say I have been in this hobby for close to 5-7 years on and off, and this has been the only tank that has come out algae-less. Most of my past tanks were filled with algae and were taken down as a result. I researched and did everything, but it never worked out. So as words of encourage for those that are still trying to get their dream tank, it's possible! Don't give up and have patience!

View attachment 903089

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.