20G Long - - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
20G Long -

I think itís been 10 years, or almost 10, since Iíve had a tank. Petco had a dollar per gallon sale a few months back, and I impulsively picked up a 20 gallon long while I was there for my pup. Low and behold, a new tank build began.

Equipment:
-20 gallon long aquarium
-DIY cabinet
-fluval 3.0 plant LED
- eheim 2213
-koralia powerhead
-co2art PRO SE regulator
-co2art in-line diffuser
-jardli lily pipe set
-5lb co2 tank

plants:

narrow leaf java (replacing with trident soon)
buce Ďpeacockí
buce Ďmini purpleí
mini bolbitis
hygrophila pinnatifida
crypt wendtii brown
crypt wendtii green
crypt becketti
crypt parva
rotala green
rotala rotundifolia
rotala OJ
rotala híra
juncus repens
anubias nana petite
xmas moss
monte carlo

Livestock (to be added once tank is cycled):
-white clouds
-celestial pearl danios
-peacock gudgeons
-otos
-RCS/Amano shrimp

Ok, to start the journal:

I started with a general idea of a triangle hardscape.

I got a better idea once the substrate came, and put everything in.

I spent the next few days tinkering with the hardscape. I ultimately removed the sand and replaced it with ADA Colorado Sand for a larger grain size and a more natural transition from aqua soil to sand.

Once I replaced the sand, this is what I settled on. It will change a bit more once I begin planting.

I went back and added panels to the sides and back of the stand to stop any swaying. itís my first attempt at building almost anything, so itís not the prettiest, but itís sturdy. Iím already looking forward to the stand Iíll build for my future 40B, which will include a door.

I tried to time all my shipping dates perfectly, but my plants came a few days before my regulator, so I ran out and grabbed a fluval co2 system and got to work.

filling

after filling

Day 1:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 Gallon Long

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome back! (Waves)

I really like the hardscape design and the plant placement. Cant wait to see where this goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yep, will look great once plants fill in. 2nd choice on sand was a good move, looks much more natural.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 11:16 PM
Algae Grower

Wow, inspirational! I have similar size/stock to yours so I'll be following closely to steal ideas... Err... Gain inspiration!

Looks wonderful!

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 07:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good job! Scape well executed, really liking it flooded and planted, should be nice to see it in the near future after establishing itself a bit more

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Welcome back! (Waves)

I really like the hardscape design and the plant placement. Cant wait to see where this goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Yep, will look great once plants fill in. 2nd choice on sand was a good move, looks much more natural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Good job! Scape well executed, really liking it flooded and planted, should be nice to see it in the near future after establishing itself a bit more
thanks a bunch. it's nice to be back in the hobby.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
haha. thanks. I like yours as well. the extra bit of space you have probably makes scapes that much better.
Discusluv likes this.

20 Gallon Long

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks! Keep on keepin us updated then

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

long update. gonna try to catch all the way up to today.

I believe this was day 4/5. the regulator came so I took out the fluval co2 system (may use it on a nano later). I also picked up Thrive+ for ferts.

unfortunately, I had a huge die off of rotala stems. the rotundifolia melted pretty badly, and the OJ and Híra didnít transition to submerged growth very well. if you look closely at the pics above, youíll see huge clumps of dead rotala. the moss was pretty brown too.

I decided to kinda ďstart overĒ with the stems. I got some Híra from a TPT member, as well as rotala green. I pulled a mix of 60+ stems of rotundifolia, OJ, and Híra. Iím not too sure how much OJ is left, maybe none. like I said, the emmersed to submerged growth went pretty badly. I threw out everything that looked unhealthy and replanted any stems that had decent tops. hereís the tank after pulling most of the stems, replanting what I could, planting the new stems, replanting crypts that had unlodged from the substrate, and adding a powerhead for good measure:

I think the stems dying came from a number of reasons.
ēI may have planted too densely (ironic) for light to reach the roots. I think there were around 15 bunches planted, down to maybe 60-70 stems total.
ēmost of the rotundifolia came from a LFS and wasnít the healthiest in the first place.
ēco2 wasnít being dispersed very well when I was using the fluval system w/ diffuser.
ēno ferts for the first few days.
ēflow in the tank wasnít very strong. the 2213 doesnít seem strong enough to create a current the full length of the tank.
ēsome microsorum leaves were blocking out light. I trimmed some of the leaves, but will ultimately replace narrow leaf with trident for scale/size. trident should be here tomorrow, along with the hygro I added to the order to qualify for free shipping.

a few days later, none of the stems I planted showed any signs of melting or rotten roots, plus the moss started to green.

today (5/5), is the 2 week mark. the stems have bounced back completely, and the moss is coming back. the tank is officially growing. oan: I HAVE ALGAE. thereís some on some of the rocks and the lower leaves of hygro. I removed some of it, but Iíll be stocking the tank with white clouds and ottos first, so Iím leaving the algae for the ottos. I should begin the initial stocking in about a week. I will add the peacock gudgeons and CPDís in my 2nd round of stocking, and the shrimp will be added last.

this week, Iím gonna replace the narrow leaf with trident, plant more hygro, and add moss rocks to solidify the barrier between aquasoil and sand.

hereís a FTS plus a few close ups:

now, weíre all caught up. as always, feedback is appreciated. cheers.
Discusluv likes this.

20 Gallon Long

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good! Smart move keeping the canister filter in a tub. I do the same, and keep my canister in a tub larger than the tank.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Looks good! Smart move keeping the canister filter in a tub. I do the same, and keep my canister in a tub larger than the tank.

much appreciated. unfortunately, I donít have the space for a 20gallon tub, but I figure something is better than nothing.

20 Gallon Long

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

small update:

everything is filling in nicely. I moved most of the red stems to one area behind the fern. hopefully theyíll form a nice red bush in the midst of all the green. I also condensed all the stems of pinnatifida for the same reason. there are already a few stems peeking out from behind the rock.

Iím looking forward to beginning to stock the tank in about a week.

Discusluv likes this.

20 Gallon Long

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just worked my way through the thread: this looks really nice, even with the early troubles. I'd considered getting a small koralia for one of my 20-longs, but was afraid it would blow the fish around. This hasn't been a problem in your experience?

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Just worked my way through the thread: this looks really nice, even with the early troubles. I'd considered getting a small koralia for one of my 20-longs, but was afraid it would blow the fish around. This hasn't been a problem in your experience?

my white clouds and otos donít seem to have a problem with it, but I also only run it as long as the co2 is on so they have an extended break from it.

irishspy likes this.

20 Gallon Long

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Petco got me the the dollar sale on a 20 long also! A 40B is on the list for me as well. Looking forward to seeing the tank fill in.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have officially begun stocking the tank. Sunday night, I added 7 white clouds and 4 otos. I plan on adding 6 more white clouds at the end of the week for a total of 13.

I also added moss to more of the wood.

hereís a few close ups

plus some tank shots

the otos have cleaned all the algae from the rocks in a matter of days. they havenít touched the hair algae on the moss so Iíll probably start removing it myself during the next water change.

I plan on pulling and thinning a lot of the rotala again because itís growing in too thick already. it hasnít even been trimmed yet. Iím definitely happy with the bushy growth, but Iím worried about unhealthy/rotting roots due to lack of light in the long run. I guess having too many plants is a good problem to have.

irishspy likes this.

20 Gallon Long

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode