The Planted Tank Forum banner

Doubleatraining's Nano Tanks

1K views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  doubleatraining 
#1 ·
My office is slowly becoming a place where nano tanks are being shoved everywhere. I love low tech

Smallest is a 1g jar for my scud culture. These guys are fantastic and soooo easy to keep. I have a small random piece of driftwood, some cholla wood, lots of moss, salvinia, and random other plants that were either dying or became covered in algae. The scuds clean the algae and eat any dead leaves/plants leaving the healthy alone. I rarely feed them and have the yarn in the tank to be able to feed them to my betta. There is a sponge filter with a very slow bubble in there too.

My Betta, Ollie, is living in an experimental 3.5. I started this tank with trimmings from other tanks so I'm still waiting for it to grow in. He is very happy and loves hunting the scuds I give him once a week. I think I HATE the white sand and will NEVER use it again.

The biggest nano I have right now is my 5.5. This is filled with plants that are growing like crazy. I've got H. Formosa, Blue Velvet shrimp, MTS, ramshorn snails, and a few scuds weren't eaten so they are trying to start a colony. The H. Formosa are keeping their numbers way down though. I feed this tank once a week or so. Everyone is thriving and I found my first H. Formosa fry today! I have a super red bristlenose pleco juvie in here until my 29g is cycled and ready for him/her. Its AMAZING what a 1.5" pleco can accomplish in just 2 days. The glass looks amazing. My moss walls are growing in and the roots from the water lettuce give the fry plenty of places to hide.

See less See more
#2 ·
Did some re-scaping on the 5.5g office tank. I like the dragon stone being pushed back further for more swimming space. I also moved the dwarf water lettuce so the roots weren't so in the way. I planted a cutting from my 29g in front of the heater on the right hand side. I hope it takes off so I will eventually be able to hide the heater.

#3 ·
This tank's water suddenly became really clear and my little baby bristlenose pleco has been working like a champ in this tank. Don't worry, he/she is temporary and will be moved into my 29g tank in the next few months. There are tons of little H. Formosa fry in the roots of the floating plants and I have 1 big Blue Dream shrimp that are berried.

I love how fat this little pleco is:

#5 ·
Betta bowl is looking good and I think Ollie is happier than he has been he makes huge bubble nests daily now.

I'm sad to report that I've lost 75% of my Blue Dream Shrimp. I bought a powder/nano feed that was supposed to be shrimp safe....it wasn't :(

I finally moved the juvie BN Pleco out of the 5.5 and into the 29 where he/she belongs.

Pre-trim

#6 ·
I finally got the bookshelf I wanted brought into my office. I'm going to set up a shelf for a 10g and a 5.5g that will both share a light.

My betta bowl is growing fast and I think Ollie is the happiest he has ever been. He loves to swim through the thick growth and his bubble nest is MASSIVE and he is as aggressive and snarky as ever. lol

This is the rough start of my new 5.5g that will house grow outs and maybe some shrimp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.