LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
ADA 90P - River of Tears

River of Tears - Tank Journal

Picture Updated on 5/10/2020

Setup (Updated on 4/28/2020):

Tank: ADA Cube Garden 90P (~36"x18"x18" - 48 Gallons)
Light: Twinstar LED 900S
Filter: Eheim 600 Classic 2217
CO2 System: 20lb cylinder with Basic Aquatek CO2 Regulator with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid; GLA CO2 Reactor
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Powder, supplemented with a bottom layer of volcanic rocks and ADA Power Sand
Hardscape: Seiryu Stones
Plants: Rotala indica / rotundifolia
Rotala Orange Juice
Rotala Super Red
Rotala Butterfly Mini
Rotala indica 'Bonsai'
Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Ludwigia repens red
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini
Monte Carlo
Fauna: Likely to be Golden Tetras, Red Cherry Shrimps for now (not added yet)
Charrr89 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chizpa305; 05-10-2020 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Planning

Hello,

I got me a used ADA Cube Garden 90P recently and I wanted to start a new tank journal for it here. I've done some nano scapes before, but it will be my first time working with a tank this big. I also don't have a lot of experience with using CO2 other than some DIY CO2 systems I did using yeast in the past. However, in this tank I will set up a proper CO2 system as it deserves since I am planning on planting some red heavy plants in it. I still need to finish getting some of the items to completely set it up, but for now, here is more or less what I have in mind. I want to call it "River of Tears" Because I will be using a carpet of HC 'Cuba', A.K.A "Baby tears" to create a path in between the rocks that somewhat resembles a river. Get it? "River of Tears" Anyways, I am excited about this setup and will keep you posted.

Cheers

post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Deciding on Hardscape Placement

I am still waiting on some items before I can set up the hardscape inside the tank, but I was playing around with the rock placement to get a feel of how it would look and I came up with this arrangement. Then I went further and edited the picture to better visualize what I plan to accomplish.

Again, this is only an edited image. As you can see I kind of want to go for a mixture of Iwagumy and Dutch styles. using many redish colors in it to contrast the "green river".

Let me know what you think.
vraev, Hujeta and Ordinary Joe like this.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 05:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking fantastic. Great plan.

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 07:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
it's going to look awesome!

I'm jealous of the 18in height, I have a 40g breeder and would love the extra height

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 04:52 PM
Algae Grower

Clever hybrid of styles. Good to see the independent thinking!

Walking the tightrope of discus in a high tech planted tank.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Finished Hardscape

Ok, so I received the light that I had ordered, the Twinstar 900S Metal, looks pretty good and bright, it is supposed to be good for redish plants, which I plan on puting a lot here. Then, I decided to go ahead and set up the hardscape in the tank and add the soil. I will still not plant anything yet until a few days since I want to set up the filter and CO2 systems first and I still need to get some things. After I have all that ready, then I will order the plants, so for now this is all I have. I like the end result of it so far. I might change the small detail rocks a bit but more or less this is it.

Room is messy, but this is just to have some perspective on the size of the tank, and how it looks from sitting on the couch.

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You did a bang up job on the scape AND the name.
Chizpa305 likes this.

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post

Get it? "River of Tears"

I kind of assumed the name was a reference to how much the equipment and hardscape cost ;P

Anyway your hardscape is pretty great. I love that big rock you have.

My only comment is that those small rocks will be absolutely swallowed by any carpet you grow. I would plan on them being invisible from the start and instead pile them up near/on the existing medium/small rocks at the base of your large rocks (does that make sense?).

post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Planted Member

Awesome hardscape. Very dramatic. I just checked again and that large rock still hasn't fallen over. Nicely done!

post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I kind of assumed the name was a reference to how much the equipment and hardscape cost ;P
Haha, Yeah, I know. You deciphered the real hidden meaning of the name lol. I also thought about naming it "Boulders of Burden" as I was placing the rocks in the tank, upon realizing how heavy they were, especially considering I had to repeat it several times until I got the right placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
pile them up near/on the existing medium/small rocks at the base of your large rocks (does that make sense?).
I think I do, and yeah, you're right, the carpet will swallow up small, stranded rocks quickly. For the same reason I am worried about the "banks" of the "river" being swallowed too. I guess I would need to keep trimming the carpet in the area in between the rocks to keep it where it should.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldazed View Post
Awesome hardscape. Very dramatic. I just checked again and that large rock still hasn't fallen over. Nicely done!
Haha I know, I need to make sure that I don't bump into it too hard while doing any maintenance, just in case. I made sure it was stable before adding the soil. Then by adding the soil it provided a bit more stability to it, but it is so big and heavy that even that is not a guarantee. As long as I am careful it should be fine. (I hope)

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post

I think I do, and yeah, you're right, the carpet will swallow up small, stranded rocks quickly. For the same reason I am worried about the "banks" of the "river" being swallowed too. I guess I would need to keep trimming the carpet in the area in between the rocks to keep it where it should.
One way to prevent the rocks from being swallowed up by HC or other carpet if it becomes an issue is to put a flat rock like river stone or shale under the existing Seiryu. You won't see the rock underneath and it will give you a critical 1/4" or so lift.
doug105! and minorhero like this.

post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Itís awesome !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finnex member #14
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 06:25 PM
Planted Member

Scape is really well done, almost makes me want to try this style even though I just started my own tank. Looking forward to see this one planted.

Long & shallow 24G: a photoheavy
inspired by nature
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

I think it's going to turn out great. Can't wait to see this project progress!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode