ADA 90P - River of Tears - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Week 15 Big Trim

Not a lot to report. My stem plants were a bit too long so I took em to the barber shop to get a clean cut. Didn't touch the carpet, although it probably could use a trim too. Here're some pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Those bright reds are NO3 limitation AND lots of bright light. I doubt you need R/O water, usually tap water doesn't have a lot of nitrates in it unless you're in an area with a lot of agriculture. You don't really need to get rid of nitrogen in the water, as long as you don't actively dose it your plants will eventually use all available nitrogen in the water column.

I suggest using Osmocote+ balls around all the plants that do want nitrates (baby tears, lysimacchia nummularia, ludwigia) and then using a liquid fertilizer without nitrates such as ADA Brighty K, Tropica Premium Nutrition, APT Zero, or Seachem Flourish. You can also use Seachem Flourish root tabs around the red rotalas since it doesn't contain nitrogen.

Is your photoperiod still only 4 hours? You could try increasing that as well. Turning red is a light stress response, so really blasting your tank with light is sure to help. It will probably also mean more algae on your hardscape but that can be controlled by spot treating with excel/ H2O2 and a wire bristle brush.
Yes, I am going to try out the Osmocote balls and the seachem flourish root tabs. I could increase the photoperiod, althouth I would need to fix the damn flow issue that it's had. I've been lazy on that. Because with poor flow and increasing the lights, the algae is really going to explode there.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzn7z7 View Post
What about purchasing an RO unit and making RO water at home? Then you could set all of your water parameters to what you want and not just NO3
I'll research those and see if I end up getting one. Don't know much about them.

post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 21

I replaced all the silicon tubing with a wider diameter vinyl one (the silicone one was a little soft and bent at certain points creating disruption of flow. Old diameter was 12 ID / 16 OD, the new tubes are 16 ID / 22 OD. Also changed the filter intake and the reactor with a compatible diameter. Now I have a better flow, however I took for ever to make this upgrade because I kept pushing it for later, and I was starting to struggle with some algae issues. But now with the improved flow hopefully things will get better. The carpet, in particularly suffered with the algae, some fibrous green algae with very long hair like filaments, not sure what type of algae it was. It grew around plants but not on the glass, and grew incredibly fast. When trying to pull it out it would mess up the weakly rooted carpet plants, it seems to have an affinity with HC in particular. Also because I had the CO2 disconnected for a while, the plants were not growing too fast. Carpet still has not grown all the way to the back of the canyon, but it has made some progress. The canyon does not get as much light so it is more vulnerable to algae and slow growth. Anyways, here are some pics right after trimming the background plants

rzn7z7, FishBR, Econde and 3 others like this.

post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 09:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very clean trimming. Have you thought about maybe adding a sand path down the middle of the canyon? It might help break up the solid line of green across the front, and help solve your growth problems in those dark areas.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Very clean trimming. Have you thought about maybe adding a sand path down the middle of the canyon? It might help break up the solid line of green across the front, and help solve your growth problems in those dark areas.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I thought about this, but seeing other tank journals that use sand trails, I've realized that the sand trail is a nightmare to maintain clean. It looks good the first couple of weeks and then it starts to get contaminated with dark soil and the sand usually starts to turn darker / brownish after a while, losing the aesthetic. I wanted to try something different by creating a "green path instead", which I haven't seen many tanks using. The carpet that I planted along the canyon is growing, just at a slower rate, plus keep in mind that I did not plant any carpet there until recently so it hasn't had the full length of time to grow as the rest of the plants in the tank, but you are right about the front carpet being too consistent and boring. I wanted to complement the far left and right foreground corners with some staurogyne repens or pogostemon helferi to add some variety. And maybe also spread small clumps of them in a few different spots.

Thank you for your input

On another note, I spotted one of the amano shrimps last week. I had not seen either of them (originally there were two) for quite some time, over a month even so I thought they had died or something, but seeing one of them made ma happy, however I don't know if the other one is also hiding. Ever since I added the Tarpae tetras, all the shrimps stay hidden in the bushes in the background, but very few venture towards the front, which is kind of a bummer because I like seeing them more, but it is what it is...

This week, I will be adding some of the root tabs that someone recommended to me to see if it improves the plant colors.

That's all for now, more pictures coming up in a few days
Econde and gjcarew like this.

post #81 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I definitely see @gjcarew comment about the sand path. The easiest way I've found to maintain a light-colored sand path is to use an inexpensive sand like PFS and simply vacuum the surface out and replace. You could probably do that every few weeks and it would stay picture-ready. You can also go with Parva, but then you'd have to rename the tank, maybe The Cryptic River.

Either way, tank is looking good.
Econde and gjcarew like this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

Last edited by Asteroid; 10-06-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode