ADA 90P - River of Tears - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 08:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you ever get tired of trimming stems I think a scape like this would look amazing:
Chizpa305 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
If you ever get tired of trimming stems I think a scape like this would look amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skDLKjaLE-U
Until you have to redo the carpet in a 6 foot tank Go epiphyte
Chizpa305 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
yeah changing the intakes/output would help if it's the throttling point

I realized last time I cleaned my 2217 I stuffed it with filter floss and I noticed the considerable loss of flow. I took out some floss and noticed the difference
Yes, unfortunately these intake/skimmers are like 40 bucks and mine is already past the point to return it. But oh well. It is the price of a mistake.

Bump:
Quote:
I'm not sure what time of day you did a water change, or what your water change schedule is like, but 6.8-7 seems high for a tank with Amazonia AND CO2. It could be that your seiryu stone is releasing more CO3 into the water than you realize, or maybe you're just changing with harder water. This might be the reason the Rotala "Butterfly" is struggling, since rotalas tend to like softer water and Butterfly is a particularly picky form. If it's not doing well, I'd say just go ahead and grab something like another ludwigia or limnophila that isn't as picky about soft water. Not worth putting your whole tank on hold for that one stem!

I doubt that your amanos are going after healthy AR. The AR is probably already struggling and they are just eating the dying leaves. I've never had them eat healthy plants before!
That's a good point, it makes sense. That could also be the reason why some of the Rotalas are not getting the colors that I expected them to get. Well, not much I can do about that because I am not planning on changing the hardscape, and tap water here in Florida, I would assume is harder than normal, since it comes mainly from very large underwater, cavernous aquifers (yes, we never run out of water here - suck on that California) so it might already come on the harder parameters. The butterfly, I could do without because it is just another stem, however the AR is hard to replace because there are not that many bushy middle-ground red plants available out there... So at the very least, I will just have to get used to the munched leaves. And yeah, I think you might be right because I've seen a lot of its leaves with deformities and some of them looking a bit dark and unhealthy, even before they have any holes in them.

post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
If you ever get tired of trimming stems I think a scape like this would look amazing:
Yes, I know that Iwagumi styles look pretty cool, but they are not that low-maintenance as you might think. The low plant volume causes a lot of algae problem and you need to be on top of it. Also cutting all that fast growing carpet can be as much (if not) more of a pain in the ass, than just cutting stems. And, I don't know, I've always been an admirer of the dutch style. That's why I tried to kind of mix the two styles in this scape.

post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:24 PM
Algae Grower

absoluty amazing, what did you use to edit the picture out of curiosity?
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 11: Bright Red Sarpae Tetras

Happy 4th of July! So I already decided on which fish to add. I went for bright red sarpae tetras, and I am glad with that choice because they look really nice in this tank, together with all the other tetras. Is not a lot of size difference, but enough to create some dynamic of colors and sizes without it being too chaotic. Anyways, here is a video I took. enjoy.

doug105! likes this.

post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by senyk View Post
absoluty amazing, what did you use to edit the picture out of curiosity?
Thanks!

Which picture are you referring to? The one at the beginning of the journal, where I did like the visualization thing for the aquarium?

post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 12: The Red Balance

Just a quick update on the tank: Finally planted some stems on the right side to create an equilibrium, although it still needs to grow and catch up with the lusher left side. I moved the Rotala butterfly to the a midground area together with some ARs, but it is barely visible there. Monte Carlo carpet is growing thicker and with a bright green color on both sides. Again, here the carpet on the right looks less full than the left side (probably due to poor water flow). Yes, I have still not fixed this issue... But it's not THAT bad. HC in the rock canyon needs to hurry up because Monte Carlo runners are creeping in their territory fast. I am more focused on growing the front portion of the HC carpet to establish a beachhead before spreading the HC to the back along the "river". I've managed to replant some AR tops to spread it to some empty areas and it has been growing ok. There are some empty spot on the far right midground and far left midground areas assigned for them once I have more. Haven't seen any munching on the leaves as of late. Which brings me to an important topic. I have not seen my 2 amanos in a few days... Also, the RCSs don't walk around everywhere anymore. Some can still be found hiding in the bushes, but rarely found walking over the rocks and such. I am not too sure why this is. I have not seen any dead ones, or any fish attacking them. But I started to notice this ever since I introduced the new fish. I thought Sarpae tetras were cool with the shrimps. But whatever the reason is, there tank definitely looks a lot more shrimp empty than before... But I know that as long as there is lush vegetation, they will be able to hide in it and survive. Christmas moss is growing nicely on the rocks and turning to a brighter green too. All in all, I think the tank is going along fine so far, though it is still not at its prime. Here are some pics, enjoy.

post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The money shot is getting closer and closer. Really nice!
Chizpa305 likes this.

post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
The money shot is getting closer and closer. Really nice!
Yes, little by little it's getting there. One of the things that is slightly annoying is that some of the plants are not getting the red colors that I had anticipated. For example, the Rotala H'ra is supposed to look a lot redder, yet in my tank only the tops are slightly pinkish. But likely it's because of the rocks that are making the water harder and that affects the colors.

post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post
... For example, the Rotala H'ra is supposed to look a lot redder, yet in my tank only the tops are slightly pinkish. But likely it's because of the rocks that are making the water harder and that affects the colors.
If you want the extreme red for H'ra I'm pretty sure you need to bring your water column no3 to near zero.
Chizpa305 likes this.

post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:35 AM
Algae Grower

Great Job!
Chizpa305 likes this.

post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
If you want the extreme red for H'ra I'm pretty sure you need to bring your water column no3 to near zero.
Do you know of any product or dosage that can help with this? I know some people like to use RO water, but for me that is very inconvenient due to me living in a high story building so many trips carrying big water containers is not something I am looking forward to. It's gotta be tap.

post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 09:36 PM
Planted Member

Those bright reds are NO3 limitation AND lots of bright light. I doubt you need R/O water, usually tap water doesn't have a lot of nitrates in it unless you're in an area with a lot of agriculture. You don't really need to get rid of nitrogen in the water, as long as you don't actively dose it your plants will eventually use all available nitrogen in the water column.

I suggest using Osmocote+ balls around all the plants that do want nitrates (baby tears, lysimacchia nummularia, ludwigia) and then using a liquid fertilizer without nitrates such as ADA Brighty K, Tropica Premium Nutrition, APT Zero, or Seachem Flourish. You can also use Seachem Flourish root tabs around the red rotalas since it doesn't contain nitrogen.

Is your photoperiod still only 4 hours? You could try increasing that as well. Turning red is a light stress response, so really blasting your tank with light is sure to help. It will probably also mean more algae on your hardscape but that can be controlled by spot treating with excel/ H2O2 and a wire bristle brush.
Chizpa305 likes this.

post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 10:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post
Do you know of any product or dosage that can help with this? I know some people like to use RO water, but for me that is very inconvenient due to me living in a high story building so many trips carrying big water containers is not something I am looking forward to. It's gotta be tap.

What about purchasing an RO unit and making RO water at home? Then you could set all of your water parameters to what you want and not just NO3
Chizpa305 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode