ADA 90P - River of Tears - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
That's a real shame with the Amanos' and AR's! I keep 6 Amano's in my 24G with a handful AR mini and haven't seen those tendencies, I'll feed them every second day or so. Fingers crossed it was just a temporary munch.
Yeah, I don't know either. I will start feeding them a bit more frequently and maybe they won't need to go for the plant alternative.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Tank lookin good, sorry bout the amanos! I had a few that I think got quite hungry and decimated a couple buces that were struggling with my temperature increase for the GBRs - they destroyed 2 plants that way but oh well what can ya do! Luckily most all plants were hardy enough, just a few got torn to shreds by big amanos!
It just sucks that the ARs looked so healthy. They should kick back as long they don't keep getting eaten even more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is very odd about the Amanos. Never had them eat my plants. Hopefully you got something out of it and they have a nice red hue to them.
Chizpa305 likes this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
That is very odd about the Amanos. Never had them eat my plants. Hopefully you got something out of it and they have a nice red hue to them.
I know, it was weird. I've only read good things about amano shrimps. I thought that maybe because the tank still is new and has not grown any visible algae yet, that maybe they got a bit too hungry. Need to keep 'em fed more I guess... I just wonder why just the ARs, they didn't touch anything else.

post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post
I know, it was weird. I've only read good things about amano shrimps. I thought that maybe because the tank still is new and has not grown any visible algae yet, that maybe they got a bit too hungry. Need to keep 'em fed more I guess... I just wonder why just the ARs, they didn't touch anything else.
Could be. I usually drop an algae wafer and an spinach leaf in the tank once a week. I keep organic spinach leafs frozen and then put them into the tank.
Chizpa305 likes this.

post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (72/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Very nice tank,
I wonder if the rotalas are doing that because they feel they have high light already and are trying to spread out. vs when they have slightly less light and they try and stretch towards the source.

I know on my tank when they're on the corners that aren't as bright they grow straight with no problem but in the middle with a ton of light they start growing parallel to the ground

aww that sucks about the AR, it's a nice plant, just hungry amanos

Did you get the new tubing?
Chizpa305 likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Could be. I usually drop an algae wafer and an spinach leaf in the tank once a week. I keep organic spinach leafs frozen and then put them into the tank.
Now I am paranoid and I am dropping 3-4 algae wafers daily so that they don't bother the plants. Maybe once the tank is more established, I will reduce the amount.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
Very nice tank,
I wonder if the rotalas are doing that because they feel they have high light already and are trying to spread out. vs when they have slightly less light and they try and stretch towards the source.

I know on my tank when they're on the corners that aren't as bright they grow straight with no problem but in the middle with a ton of light they start growing parallel to the ground

aww that sucks about the AR, it's a nice plant, just hungry amanos

Did you get the new tubing?
Yeah, I think the plants are on "Real-State-Grab-Free-For-All" mode right now. They probably somehow detect clear soil around them and they try to cover as much area as possible before starting to grow upwards... I'm ok with that, because with this "runner" configuration they ramify a lot better, which is what I need right now so the tank fills up quicker. I will let them do their thing. The ludwigias (I'm not sure whether they are repens or palustris) are taking the lead right now regarding growth speed.

I'm still waiting on the hoses. It was one of those super slow shipping times. Acording to the order it says the expected delivery date should be between 5/14 - 6/5, but it already shows as it being shipped, so maybe it won't take much longer. I am anxious to get them so that I can finish the rest of the setup as it is meant to be set up.

Bump: Also, on a good note, I noticed the LED lights somehow fixed itself. It was having a problem where some of the red LEDs were not turning on for several days, but in the past few days it has been turning on all of them... I don't know why that might have happened, but as long as it is working now I am good. now the light spreads evenly throughout the tank.

Last edited by Chizpa305; 05-12-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: .
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 4: Glassware Installed, but Algae Appears

I finally got the hoses I had ordered and I was able to install them and remove the green ones. I also installed a glass skimmer intake to remove the other surface skimmer I had and replaced the diffuser with a hidden-under-cabinet reactor for the CO2, so now it looks more presentable. Speaking of the CO2, I still haven't gotten the hang of the right dosage. My bubble counter was showing about 3 bubbles per second when turned on, however the drop checker never turned green. Now with the reactor I expect more efficient CO2 diffusion in the water so let's see. Also due to the inefficient CO2 distribution, I have seen a still small, but quickly increasing levels of algae. Comparing the pictures from last week, you can see the rocks are greener noticeably more now. I hope that once I find the sweet point for CO2 injection, the plants will start to take the lead against the algae.

With regards to plant growth, I've just let them grow for now, and the Ludwigia has really increased in mass, and is starting to shade the Lysimachia in front of it. It will need some trimming soon. But a lot of the plants are still growing along the soil instead of straight up, which is a bit frustrating, but this might also be a CO2 related issue, not sure really. Amanos have stopped munching on the ARs and they are trying to make a comeback, but it will be a bit more time until they get bushy and healthy again.

post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When I had Rotala sp. green it was very prone to the crawl. That plant many times is used in aquascaping circles for it's cascading effect over hardscape, but higher in the water column. I always thought it was a light thing, but with sp. green I would have some go straight up and others straight across. Out of curiosity what has your light cycle/intensity been from the getgo?
Chizpa305 likes this.

post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
When I had Rotala sp. green it was very prone to the crawl. That plant many times is used in aquascaping circles for it's cascading effect over hardscape, but higher in the water column. I always thought it was a light thing, but with sp. green I would have some go straight up and others straight across. Out of curiosity what has your light cycle/intensity been from the getgo?
I've had it on a 8hr on, 16hr off cycle. However, depending on how the algae behaves now once I start getting better CO2 diffusion, I might reduce it or keep it the same... We'll see. The specs for my light fixture are: Twinstar LED Light 900SM, Color Temperature: 6500K, Lumens: 4900 lm, 65 watts. Unfortunately I can't tweak the intensity, only the "on" period.

post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:18 AM
Planted Member

Rotala green in my previous scape never crawled, I always thought I didn't have enough light but I also planted it very dense so it really had nowhere to go but up. Who knows..

Seems like you're starting the hard way no? Low plant mass, high intensity lighting and nutrient rich soil. Getting more plants in there should help out immensely. Maybe reduce photoperiod? What's the water change schedule look like?
Chizpa305 likes this.

post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I was about to say something similar to @Ventchur. Low plant mass iwagumi with 8 hrs full light. Very difficult. Plant mass always helps, but any setup I do now like that gets semi-weekly (in the beginning I do daily) water changes, 4 hr photo period (unless you have a ramping setup) and I setup my filter like this, the ADA way to remove organics/toxins that the plant mass/bio-filter isn't in the beginning.

post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventchur View Post
Rotala green in my previous scape never crawled, I always thought I didn't have enough light but I also planted it very dense so it really had nowhere to go but up. Who knows..

Seems like you're starting the hard way no? Low plant mass, high intensity lighting and nutrient rich soil. Getting more plants in there should help out immensely. Maybe reduce photoperiod? What's the water change schedule look like?
Yeah, maybe it would be a good idea to reduce the photo period a bit, at least until the plants catch up to speed. And trim and replant tops to increase plant mass faster. Water changes I've been doing once weekly 30%.

post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 6: Land Grab

Plants continue to grow, and I have been helping by cutting tops and replanting, to make more compact bushes before letting them grow tall. Algae, however, continues to be a bit of a problem, thought I hope it will only be a temporary one until the plants really take over. It's hair algae, which is very unsightly, but easy to deal with by using doses of Phosphorus. I've also reduced the photo period drastically - to only 4hrs/day. I am not too worried about it, it's just that it makes the tank look a bit less pretty... but I'll just keep doing my thing and the algae should recede.

If you look at older pictures, at where the single stem of Rotala butterfly used to be planted, and compare it with the picture above, you'll notice that that area has completely been invaded by other stems, mostly H. micranthemoides, very aggressively, so rather than to keep constantly cutting invading stems, I decided instead to move the R. butterfly to a secluded area on the far right side of the tank, where it will grow in peace and tranquility. It has been growing a bit slow, but soon it will be tall enough for me to cut and replant top to spread it.

And here it is, in the back to the right.

HC Cuba is still struggling to spread, only a matter of time...

Ugly hair algae on leaves of several bucephalandras.

AR making a comeback from the previous Amano attack, still looking a bit unhealthy, but improving

Those glass tubes get dirty really quickly. Already looking brownish.

And that's all for now. More updates in the coming weeks.
Ben Belton likes this.

post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 7: More Fish and Plants

After turning down the photoperiod, and using some Excel, the algae has decreased.

Decided to go to the store and get some more fish. I was also able to find some HC Cuba, which I planted by the "river delta" between the two rocks. Hopefully this will speed up the spread of HC carpet which has been pretty slow.

All stem plants are now growing upwards and forming a nice mixture of leave patterns and shades.

ipkiss and P.Isley like this.

post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
pretty nice. will probably be pretty epic when its grown in!
Chizpa305 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode