ADA 90P - River of Tears - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Monte Carlo Makes it In

I know I said before that I was going to wait until all the filter and CO2 system components were installed and ready to go before planting, but I lied. I'm still waiting on some items, like hoses and such, but I wanted to start seeing some green in there already, so I passed by my LFS to get some HC, but they didn't have any unfortunately, so I went ahead and got the closest thing available, which in this case was Monte Carlo. Don't worry I won't plant it in the "river"; I am reserving that spot exclusively for the HC, but I might have to wait until my other tank grows enough of it so that I can trim it and plant it on this one. I should be getting some stems today, but only a few because I have spent way too much money in a short period of time on this tank and I have to take it easy with the plants. But all I need is a couple of stems of this and a couple of that and soon enough I will have a dense, lush, forest, just give me a bit of time and some exponential growth principles. And I will be adding whatever other plants as I go along. So the ones I ordered are: 3 stems of rotala orange juice, 1 stem of rotala butterfly mini, 3 stems of rotala super red. Everything else I will be getting from my other tank as I get leftovers.

Oh, I also retouched on the river banks to try to make it look better.

I noticed something on the light that worries me. When I first got the light, it hat red LEDs all the way through, but now I noticed that In the middle area it's missing a few. I don't know why this is... If you look at today's first picture, you can also see a shade of blue, caused by the lack of red LED's around the vertical line where the bigger rock is. Don't like that.

I will be adding the stems when I get them (hopefully today) and once I do, I will flood the tank. More pics coming soon
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm loving that rock.
Chizpa305 likes this.

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

That rockwork looks amazing, very well done. That's strange about the light, I'd be interested in finding out whether that was an intentional design or not. I found this picture that suggests that you might have received a damaged/defective light. The reflection appears to show red LEDs across the whole fixture with no "breaks". I would contact the seller to verify.

Chizpa305 likes this.

post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
That rockwork looks amazing, very well done. That's strange about the light, I'd be interested in finding out whether that was an intentional design or not. I found this picture that suggests that you might have received a damaged/defective light. The reflection appears to show red LEDs across the whole fixture with no "breaks". I would contact the seller to verify.

No, it actually worked fine when I first got it. See the two pictures below. On the left, that pic was taken before setting up the hardscape. there you can see in the reflection of the light that all the LEDs are working fine. Then on the right, is the way it looks now (same light-strip), definitely missing some red LEDs.... I've only had it for a week though. I will take a look at it today and see. If the problem persists I'll have to call the manufacturers...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy1978 View Post
I'm loving that rock.
Yeah, me too. I got the rocks from a guy who used to compete in the IAPLC contest. He used these same rocks to create some beautiful Iwagumi style scapes

post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 02:39 AM
Algae Grower

Hardscape is looking good.
Chizpa305 likes this.

Buce Fiend - Small Tank Keeper
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 1 - And It Starts -

I got the plants I ordered today, only 7 stems in total, all reddish colors. The rest, I trimmed from my nano tank to put them here (some stems of ludwigia repens, some of lysimachia nummularea 'aurea', some ammania bonsai, and some AR 'mini'. For now I I'll just be farming plants basically, but as it goes along it will be growing lusher and I'll be making the changes as I see fit.

^^This is Rotala super red^^

^^This one is Rotala Orange Juice I believe^^

^^And this one should be Rotala butterfly mini, it came in as a single stem and in pretty bad conditions, so let's see if it makes it^^

I am still waiting on the silicone hoses that I'll be installing, but for now I set up the filter with the infamous green tubing that comes with the Eheim classic canister. I'll let it sit there for a few days and once some of the plants get healty looking, I will be trimming tops and replanting to populate all that real state quicker. More updates next week. Enjoy.
Ben Belton and Hujeta like this.

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post
Week 1 - And It Starts -

I got the plants I ordered today, only 7 stems in total, all reddish colors. The rest, I trimmed from my nano tank to put them here (some stems of ludwigia repens, some of lysimachia nummularea 'aurea', some ammania bonsai, and some AR 'mini'. For now I I'll just be farming plants basically, but as it goes along it will be growing lusher and I'll be making the changes as I see fit.

^^This is Rotala super red^^

^^This one is Rotala Orange Juice I believe^^

^^And this one should be Rotala butterfly mini, it came in as a single stem and in pretty bad conditions, so let's see if it makes it^^

I am still waiting on the silicone hoses that I'll be installing, but for now I set up the filter with the infamous green tubing that comes with the Eheim classic canister. I'll let it sit there for a few days and once some of the plants get healty looking, I will be trimming tops and replanting to populate all that real state quicker. More updates next week. Enjoy.

Very nice... love the rock formation... thanks for giving me some inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finnex member #14
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
Very nice... love the rock formation... thanks for giving me some inspiration

Thanks! I guess that's part of what this forum is for, to learn from and inspire each other. I am glad to have done so to you.

Tank is still on the bare bone, it will take some time for the plants to take off and complement the hardscape
Charrr89 likes this.

Last edited by Chizpa305; 04-28-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: misspelling
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post
Thanks! I guess that's part of what this forum is for, to learn from and inspire each other. I am glad to have done so to you.

Tank is still on the bare bone, it will take some time for the plants to take off and complement the hardscape

If I had more time to rethink my scape in my 60p... I would definitely go in the same direction as tour hardscape!

Chizpa305 likes this.

Finnex member #14
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 01:38 PM
Planted Member

Looks great, especially the rocks as mentioned. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference there is between the rotala's once they've grown in.
Chizpa305 likes this.

Long & shallow 24G: a photoheavy
inspired by nature
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Looks great, especially the rocks as mentioned. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference there is between the rotala's once they've grown in.
Yes definitelly. Once they settle and grow more, I'll be able to know how to place them better, but for now I'm just trying to grow them as fast as possible, so that means I'll be cutting off tops and replanting once they get tall enough, untl a good area is covered by all the plants, and then I will let them grow tall to fill up the tank vertically. It'll take some time but we'll get there soon enough.

post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 2 Fish n' Shrimps

Ok, so I added some fish and some shrimps today to start accelerating the substrate's bacterial growth, and also (whispers) because I was getting impatient. But it should be ok. Also added some bucephalandras onto the rocks to help give the rocks a more natural look, and pressed a bit of christmass moss in some of the cracks of the rocks so it should start to grow nicely in a few weeks

You can see the bucephalandras on the crevices. (I didn't use any glue, I just inserted them in the cracks. They don't float, and stay there pretty secured.) In some time they'll start to grow strong roots and hold onto the rocks strongly, at which point I'll consider trimming them for a more compact look.

A dwarf in the land of giants ................................ (rocks)

From the plants I got, this is the one that was in the worst shape, but I think it'll make it. The stem is a bit damaged, but it's growing some aerial roots to compensate for that. This is the rotala butterfly

These are the tank's left side stem plants, some I got from my nano tank

That's all for now. I should be getting the silicone hoses I ordered by next week so that I can finally install the rest of the setup, and remove the current green hoses that came with the filter.

Last edited by Chizpa305; 05-04-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: .
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 3: Amanos Attack!

Yesterday I noticed one of the two amano shrimps that I currently have in the tank, munching on one of the leaves of the AR. I thought that maybe the leaf was damaged and that is why the shrimp was eating it. But then this morning when I woke up I found both of the ARs reduced to threads, while the two amano shrimps were in gangbang mode on the bushier one of them. I felt so shocked, because these two plants were one of my favorites in the tank. They were looking so pretty, healthy, with a lot of new root growth and new plant growth, and a radiant red color one day, and completely munched in the next. I didn't know that amano shrimps ate plants like this, but if this is the case it will definitely be a problem, because ARs are essential in this scape. Interestingly none of the other plants had any damage, it was only the ARs... I am not sure why they targeted them specifically. Is this normal? If not, then, why did they do this? All I can say is that I am not happy about it, and if this keeps on happening, I will have to remove the Amano shrimps. I added some algae wafers and they god distracted eating those instead... maybe they were just very hungry... I don't know.

This is before the attack

And these are after

On other news, the rest of the plants are growing ok, except there is a particular growth pattern that most stem plants are following in which they grow along the soil as opposed to upwards. You can see here the Hemianthus micranthemoides, the Ludwigia, and even the Rotalas doing this. I wonder why this is also... Strange.

My LFS is still out of HC Cuba, so I have only been able to plant tiny bits that I trimmed from my nano tank. It is not visible in the pictures, but it is there, at the "river's delta"

That's all for now, I should be finally getting my silicone hoses this week, and I already have the reactor and a glass lily pipe/surface skimmer that will replace the current skimmer I have. The tank shlould look a lot cleaner, but until I get the hoses I won't install the rest of the stuff. Hopefully by next weekend I will be posting new photos of the new look and also the ARs are able to grow back again and the amanos will stop munching on them.

Blue Ridge Reef and doug105! like this.

post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 11:35 PM
Planted Member

That's a real shame with the Amanos' and AR's! I keep 6 Amano's in my 24G with a handful AR mini and haven't seen those tendencies, I'll feed them every second day or so. Fingers crossed it was just a temporary munch.
Chizpa305 likes this.

Long & shallow 24G: a photoheavy
inspired by nature
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank lookin good, sorry bout the amanos! I had a few that I think got quite hungry and decimated a couple buces that were struggling with my temperature increase for the GBRs - they destroyed 2 plants that way but oh well what can ya do! Luckily most all plants were hardy enough, just a few got torn to shreds by big amanos!
Chizpa305 likes this.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode