New house, new tank. 210 gallon Aqueon - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
New house, new tank. 210 gallon Aqueon

I used to have a planted 280 gallon (72*24*37), but sold it before putting our house in the market at the end of last summer. My fish and shrimp were moved to a 37 column for the interim. We finally sold our house in Minnesota and have moved down to Northern Illinois. I was able to find a 210 gallon Aqueon aquarium with a nice sump for a great price used. I had a couple of friends come over and help me get it moved and into my basement. The problem was that I had not yet built a stand, so it stayed on the 2 by 4 frame/sled that I built to transport it on and some furniture dollies. I now have most of what I need to get everything set up, but can't really invite 3 friends over to help lift it up on to the stand because of the current pandemic.

The aquarium has 2 megaflow overflows on the back wall, and I plan on running a sump. I have pulled out the old bulkheads to replace them and was pleasantly surprised to see that I can plumb 1 inch bulkheads in all 4 holes. I plan to run each overflow in a Herbie setup with a full siphon and an emergency drain. The aquarium will go on an interior wall that accommodates the stairs. I am planning on placing the sump in the space beneath the stairs for better access.

I intend for this to be a low tech setup, with shrimp and small fish. I'll post later with pictures and the equipment that I have purchased for the build.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For equipment, I'll be running the zeroedge sumo that came with it. It'll be heated by vivo-sun 300 watt titanium heaters x 2, controlled by an inkbird 306t. My return pump is a Jebao DCP-15000. For lighting, I am going to be using some dimmable slim LED fixtures that I found on Amazon and control through a smart dimmer.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I plan on putting some lighting together based on these lights I found on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HR9RY5..._N1mHEb138B54T

I am starting to think I am going to want focus the light down though, so I am contemplating pulling the chips out of the fixtures and adding some reflectors. I'll need to strip one down and get some measurements and see what I can come up with.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 10:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's a respectable size! When you say small fish, are you thinking schooling tetras or something of the sort? Any particular style you're going after?

Long & shallow 24G: a photoheavy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inspired by nature
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
That's a respectable size! When you say small fish, are you thinking schooling tetras or something of the sort? Any particular style you're going after?
I've got guppies, mollies, corys and some plecos from my last tank. I like live bearers, since they are pretty good at populating the tank by themselves.

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, I like the little 15W fixtures I bought, like the color, they are dimmable and have a decent CRI, but they are a little bulky relative to their output. They are cheap, so I am ok giving a little more effort to make them work. Looked a little bit at getting reflectors, but the reflectors (if I found ones that would fit) are likely to cost 50% more than what the lights each. I'll have to decide on a DIY reflector and try to keep the light in the tank where it belongs.

Don't know if I mentioned this, but all 4 holes are big enough for 1 inch bulkheads, which makes me think that dual Herbie overflows are going to work well.

post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got the light put together for the most part, just need to tune it some once I get the tank set up. Went with 13 of the 15 watt pucks.

post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Paint the interior white. It will help reflect light back into the aquarium.

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 06:27 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Paint the interior white. It will help reflect light back into the aquarium.

Gary
Second this (assuming this was not already the plan)

Long & shallow 24G: a photoheavy
inspired by nature
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ha, I just taped up the edges and read this before going to the basement for the paint. Great minds y'all.

Crazygar and Hujeta like this.

post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
have you thought about what small fish you have in mind?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
have you thought about what small fish you have in mind?
I think that I'd like celestial pearl danios, but that could get expensive. I've filled tanks with feeder guppies before and really liked them, maybe I will use my current tank as a quarantine tank for some of the feeders.

Last edited by Bunsen Honeydew; 04-08-2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Changed my mind
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Frick, a cross brace is broken more than I had realized. I had seen the crack towards the middle, and was going to bolt some aluminum to it. Going to have to try to find some custom cut glass to fix.

doug105! likes this.

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have glass, now I just need to silicone it in.

Hujeta likes this.

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, quick update. Over the weekend I got one piece gooped up and clamped in. Let it set overnight, pulled off the clamps and thought it looked good. I was upstairs playing with my kids about 30 mins later and hear a loud noise from the basement. The cross brace fell into the tank, chipping the corner of the glass, but thankfully not the aquarium. Some investigation showed that I had accidentally grabbed a tube of clear sealant that I had bought for another project, not silicone. This stuff doesn't adhere as well to glass and takes longer to cure. I bought two braces so that the tank would look the same on both sides, so I'll use the chipped one on the side with the intact plastic brace. Once I get all of the gunk scraped up, I'll try again with the right silicone. That could have been an expensive mistake.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode