New house, new tank. 210 gallon Aqueon - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Finally got my plants 3 weeks later than they should have been. Still need to get a sword for the right side and some stems for the back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got a few more plants out in, but I'm battling some staghorn algae. It's only on old growth, not new, so I'm probably ok but I am adding some glut just to speed things along. I was afraid that I had a mini cycle going on, but I'm at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate. I added some root tabs, and will probably start a low light EI weekly regimen soon.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
oh no, i hate staghorn! it's a pain to get rid of but good sign that it is only on the old growth

There's a bit of room under the stand, would you ever set up another smaller container with a heater in there to try and do automatic water changes or are you thinking about something else that can be scaled up on this "fish room"?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
oh no, i hate staghorn! it's a pain to get rid of but good sign that it is only on the old growth

There's a bit of room under the stand, would you ever set up another smaller container with a heater in there to try and do automatic water changes or are you thinking about something else that can be scaled up on this "fish room"?
It's a low tech tank, so getting it balanced will be a slow process. It looks like it's heading the right way, so I'm going to be patient. I'd like to get some stems in there soon to help too.

The plan is to setup an old rain barrel about 15 ft to the right of the tank. I have a float valve to keep the barrel filled and another for the sump. I bought a small pump to pump water to the floor drain. The sump will refill from the barrel. When the level drops in the barrel, it will refill. Hopefully, the barrel will allow for the water to warm and dechlorinate. Hopefully an auto water change will get rid of some of these tannins. They are making my light look way more yellow that I can stomach.

post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I finally acquired some glutaraldehyde and started treating my tank to get rid of the staghorn. It started to turn red and appeared to be on its way out. I had to take a weekend trip to Michigan to clear out a storage unit and when I returned I found that there was still some algae left and that I had all but completely melted my val. I suppose I'll keep dosing the glut since if I am nuking the val, I may as well get rid of the algae. I'm hoping that it comes back. The corkscrew Val was growing and spreading quickly.

post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 10:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Next foray into Michigan, visit Preuss Pets in Lansing. You will not be disappointed. Awesome store and loaded with goodies!

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 01:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Next foray into Michigan, visit Preuss Pets in Lansing. You will not be disappointed. Awesome store and loaded with goodies!

Gary

Agreed, Preuss Pets is awesome....they're an hour+ away from me but every trip there is a treat
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Gary
Thanks for the recommendation, but due to the current pandemic, our trip was in and out.

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not a problem. As soon as things return to "normal", you can bet I'll be at the front doors waiting for them to open the first Saturday I have the chance to visit.

Gary

post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Not a problem. As soon as things return to "normal", you can bet I'll be at the front doors waiting for them to open the first Saturday I have the chance to visit.

Gary
Things are going to return to normal?

post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Whatever the new normal will look like. Sure. At least this has been a boon for the Aquarium hobby as a whole. One good thing at least.

Gary

post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The staghorn algae appears gone and things have settled down. Hopefully the val will come back. In the meantime, I was able to add a sword, some rotala, a couple types of ludwigia, a tiger lotus and 3 angelfish.

Crazygar and doug105! like this.

post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haven't updated in awhile. I still haven't put together an auto water change system, but have managed to keep a regular water change schedule. I have started a weekly fertilizer regimen and my plants are all growing and spreading. Looks like my leopard val will recover, but the spiral val is gone. I put some in my shrimp tank (that doesn't have shrimp in it yet) that I will move back over to replace what I killed with glut. I thought my lights were underpowered, but my dwarf Sag is growing and spreading quickly, so I'm probably alright there. All in all, I am happy with how things are filling out and can't wait to see this tank in a few months. I have some rotala planted behind the Balsanae that should provide a nice background once it takes off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode