New house, new tank. 210 gallon Aqueon - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Change of plans: the space under my stairs was not level enough to put the sump there. The sump tank rocked diagonally on the floor, with one corner sitting 3/16" off the ground when 3 were touching. So the sump is going under the stand for now. The good news is that the drain plumbing was much easier to to this way. I got everything cut and dry fitted, then realized I forgot the valves. I'm glad I figured it out before I glued anything. Because I laid it out without the valves, two push on the other drains when I close them. Not a big deal, but not ideal. I am filling it all the way up to leak test the bulkheads and plumbing now. Still have to figure out the return. My return pump can handle 1 to 2 inch Barb's, or 1.5 and 2 inch hard plumbing. I was planning on using 1 inch PVC to make the returns and spray bar, but I am trying to decide if I want to go larger.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Crazygar likes this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The BDBS seems to be quite a bit siltier than last time, causing it to be more gray than black. I filled it up enough to test the overflows. With the low flow of the python, you can tell that the right overflow is just a touch lower than the left. Probably not enough to make a difference once the return pump is running.

Since I bought an oversized pump, I am going to start with the 1 inch return, then in crease from there if needed. I'll probably just start with a simple return to get everything moving first, then build my spray bar in a few days. I'll probably build a wooden box as well to house cords and use as a place to mount the pump control and heat controller.

Crazygar likes this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Still fighting cloudiness. I built a hang on filter and stirred it up again. Probably start moving some plants tomorrow.

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am tempted to get a few backs of the med grit BDBS and dump it on top. I really wanted the black color and this is dissappointing.

I also put together a return with a spray bar in the middle, and outlets on each end. Last night I realized that without any backpressure, there won't be much flow through the spray bar, so i think I will rework the returns tonight.

Plants should start showing up tomorrow, so I need to get my **it together.

Last edited by Bunsen Honeydew; 04-27-2020 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
excited to see it planted!

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
excited to see it planted!
Me too! It's going to be a slow process though.

post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Poured another bag of sand in, so it's cloudy again. Added some giant crypts. Had to just throw them in to decide what I want to do with them.

Thelongsnail likes this.

post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
Poured another bag of sand in, so it's cloudy again. Added some giant crypts. Had to just throw them in to decide what I want to do with them.

Looks good, I think those crypts are going to be a lot happier in your tank!

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie98 View Post
Looks good, I think those crypts are going to be a lot happier in your tank!
I got my returns finished this morning, so hopefully they are happier without the current from only on outlet blowing them around.

My glass tops arrived today, so that will help cut down on evaporation. Hopefully my other plants find their way out of USPS hell before they die.

post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got the plants from my small tank and some of the fish moved over. Didn't take long for the guppies to start in on the biofilm on the wood.

Thelongsnail likes this.

post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Over the weekend, I came downstairs to check out the tank and found that the glass cross brace had come unattached. Talk about adding some pucker factor. The good news is that the front glass didn't bow noticeably. I was able to support the glass with a long zip tie to keep the back intact, drain about a foot of water and get to work scraping silicone. Once I got it all cleaned up, I applied more silicone and clamped it back in place. I gave it 24 hrs, then filled the tank back up and it has been good to go so far.

Yesterday I got the rest of the fish moved over and received some crypts that I ordered. Got those in and things look pretty good. Just waiting on the bigger plants that are still in USPS purgatory for the right side. I had a small anubias that hitchhiked along with the crypts that keeps getting knocked loose and just floats around the tank.

Bumped to add that I also played around with starting to make my canopy retractable.

Bon MotMot and Hujeta like this.

Last edited by Bunsen Honeydew; 05-06-2020 at 12:08 AM.
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your build is a bit of a thriller! That support-bracket coming loose is nightmare-inducing. Really like the innovation around the canopy, certainly makes servicing so much easier. I built a similar canopy a few years ago, that was resting on the rim of the tank. It was suspended about 10" to allow for hands etc to pass under it, but still it was really awkward to rescape and such.

Long & shallow 24G: a photoheavy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inspired by nature
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Your build is a bit of a thriller! That support-bracket coming loose is nightmare-inducing. Really like the innovation around the canopy, certainly makes servicing so much easier. I built a similar canopy a few years ago, that was resting on the rim of the tank. It was suspended about 10" to allow for hands etc to pass under it, but still it was really awkward to rescape and such.
A thriller in all the wrong ways!

On my last tank (a too tall 280) I had a wood canopy that I would yank off and set aside to get in. I like still having the light to see in the tank though. I wouldn't call it innovative, I totally saw a reef tank set up this way and borrowed that idea. Eventually I will find a linear actuator that does cost a fortune and have that pull the rope.

post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added 20 female guppies, including a couple of the biggest, most gravid guppies that I've seen.

There is definitely some melting going on, but I am getting some new leaves on the crypt balsanae.

Bon MotMot likes this.

post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added some leopard val to the right. My big anubias and Windelov Fern is still lost in the mail. Hoping for a refund on that, but all I've had is radio silence. Made a stand from some scrap.2 by 4s for my 37 column, which will eventually be a shrimp tank. Getting the room cleaned up a bit and making it a nice place to sit and watch the tanks. I need to get a water change system in place to deal with the tannins. Right now, I only have access to cold water for the tank, so that is limiting how much I change at a time. Both tanks have the same lights, and you can see how much darker the water is is in the big tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode