Nano Cube Reboot - The Planted Tank Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Cube Reboot

Hello all!

Decided to start a new tank journal rather than continue the previous once.

Zeus started to get pretty bad fin rot a couple of weeks ago and his tank turned into an algae farm as well. I decided to tear it down over the weekend and start over, hopefully with something more low maintenance. I moved Zeus over to the other larger tank and he seems to be doing fine there.

I didn't intend to start the nano up so soon but Zeus started chasing the sparkling gourami around. Since I'll have to get them out of there soon I scaped it in a a hurry. It's not finished yet, the wood has yet to sink and I still need more anubias, but I think it doesn't look too bad... I'm not great at scaping anyway so i'm satisfied with it. That java fern looks a little too big though and I wish I added more substrate in the back but eh, whatever.

I am tempted to move the sparkling gourami in here before any actual violence happens but seeing as it's only been up for a day, maybe I ought to wait a couple more days while I check on the ammonia levels.

I really wanted to keep some boraras brigittae or sundadanio axelrodi in here as a species only tank but I guess that's not going to happen anymore. I also saw some really beautiful Japanese ricefish just yesterday. Right now I have two options

1. 5 or 6 sparkling gourami as a species only tank; or
2. 5 or 6 nano fish (so either 1 of those 3 I mentioned) and my existing pair of sparkling gourami

I am leaning toward the latter, but we'll see how it goes. In maybe a week I'll get an amano shrimp in there and if the water seems fine, I'll move the gourami in. Also hope the tank overall does better than the last time.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds good. Sparkling gouramis are really cool, I found mine to be quite territorial and pretty aggressive. Very cool fish though!
chicken.nublet likes this.

my 20 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 8 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 35 gallon journal:
post #3 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Sounds good. Sparkling gouramis are really cool, I found mine to be quite territorial and pretty aggressive. Very cool fish though!
Sparkling gourami are beautiful, but yeah they do tend to beat each other up sometimes. I have seen them chasing each other a little but nothing too crazy so far...

I added 3 ricefish and a few more plants to the tank yesterday but since the covid-19 situation in Singapore is escalating a fair bit so I went out to get a few more fish today since I'll want to stay at home as much as possible from now on. I picked up 2 more ricefish, 3 corydoras habrosus and an amano shrimp (locally they're known as yamato shrimp for whatever reason). So including the sparkling gourami pair, I think I'm more or less fully stocked at this point. I am considering 2 more corydoras habrosus but we will see how the tank and its inhabitants fair in the next month or so. Anyway, pictures.

Here's a close up of the tank. I think the anubias will be fine in there. I did manage to get fully submersed bucephalandra as well but I have a feeling they will melt a fair bit in the days to come since they were only just introduced to the tank. The rotala in the back still need a bit of time before it fills out. I decided to do just 1 type of stem plant this time. I also put some crypts in the back which on hindsight seems pretty stupid since I can't even see them from the front. I might have to replace them with more rotala in a few weeks but we'll see. The wood probably isn't waterlogged yet so I just have a couple of rocks weighing them down for now. I'll think about what to do with the java fern once the rocks are out of there.

A little corydoras habrosus. Didn't realise how tiny they were until I got them in the tank. I have a feeling that feeding them is going to be a real pain in the ass. I picked up some Hikari sinking wafers for bottom feeders today, might give them a try in a couple of days.

Thank you for reading!

post #4 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 12:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice! Habrosus are pretty small looking there wow! I am considering them for my tank, still not sure though. I like at least that they act more cory like than the other dwarf cory types.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #5 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Really pretty set up. Maybe the habrosus would do well with a Repashy gel food, such as "Bottom Feeder."

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #6 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Nice! Habrosus are pretty small looking there wow! I am considering them for my tank, still not sure though. I like at least that they act more cory like than the other dwarf cory types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Really pretty set up. Maybe the habrosus would do well with a Repashy gel food, such as "Bottom Feeder."
Thank you both!

Unfortunately Repashy isn't easily available where i'm from but i'll try it if I can get my hands on some. For now I have these micro pellets that I feed my other fish, these also sink readily so i'll drop a pinch in every night for them to forage for.
post #7 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love the habrosus. I have 6 in one tank with dwarf pencilfish and WCMM and 2 in another with some hastatus cories that are even smaller. When purchased mine were quite small, but they will grow a bit - females larger than males. They can eat a lot of foods. I feed crushed flakes, bug bites and frozen daphnia or cyclops, frozen baby brine shrimp. I've also fed crushed up freeze dried blood worms.
post #8 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I love the habrosus. I have 6 in one tank with dwarf pencilfish and WCMM and 2 in another with some hastatus cories that are even smaller. When purchased mine were quite small, but they will grow a bit - females larger than males. They can eat a lot of foods. I feed crushed flakes, bug bites and frozen daphnia or cyclops, frozen baby brine shrimp. I've also fed crushed up freeze dried blood worms.
Thank you for the suggestions on food!

I have never fed flake before but I think I might try getting a small bottle of flake from omega one or new life spectrum. For now I'm just letting a good number of pellets hit the bottom so that the cories have food to eat, although I think I'll probably have to feed them after lights out from now on. I also feed the cories in my other tank after lights out so that the other fish don't go stealing their food.

The corydoras habrosus are adorable, I will probably add two more in the coming weeks.
post #9 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So the lone amano died which is a huge bummer, only had him for like 4 days. Everyone else looks fine. Just so happened that I'm working from home today so I noticed its rotting body from the side.

The amano is pretty big so I thought it would be fairly safe against the sparklers but frankly I wouldn't put it past them to nip the guy to death. Sigh! I was planning on doing just one amano for algae control but looks like I might have to reconsider. Maybe I'll do a horned nerite instead or try again.
post #10 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 11:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yamato Shrimp is an old trade name, I grinned when you mentioned that. This is how I referred to these for a long time.

Looks like the new scape is going to be nice. Going to be adding a background?

Gary

post #11 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Yamato Shrimp is an old trade name, I grinned when you mentioned that. This is how I referred to these for a long time.

Looks like the new scape is going to be nice. Going to be adding a background?

Gary
Hello Gary, glad you commented here as well. I should have mentioned in my other journal that I've torn down that scape.

Didn't know they used to be known as Yamato shrimp, that's interesting. I think most here know them as Yamatos. Hell I've only ever seen them called Yamatos in the shops here.

I don't know about the background. It probably would look better with one wouldn't it. Guess it will have to be black though so that the filter intake isn't so visible...

I notice that the crypts i've planted in the back behind the wood aren't visible from the front at all, I probably should have given plant selection and placement a bit more thought. I think I'll get some other kind of tall stem plant and replace the crypts with those. I could probably plant the parva in the sand at least. Do you have any suggestions on what stems I could try? Something that would do well in a low light, no CO2 environment.
post #12 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Depends on what type of Crypts you planted back there. Some can grow quite tall and in time, will be plenty visible.

Smaller Crypts obviously should be placed in front. I've never had any luck with Crypts in sand. They are heavy root feeders and Sand provides little or no nutrients.

Gary

post #13 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

Looking real nice! That’s literally almost the same hardscape setup I did in my cube. You have good taste lol. Can’t wait to see it grown in.
post #14 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.nublet View Post
...but I think I might try getting a small bottle of flake from omega one or new life spectrum.
FWIW, I've been using Omega One as my staple food for years and the fish do great on it. Haven't tried New Life, but I've heard good things about it.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #15 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoncor View Post
Looking real nice! That’s literally almost the same hardscape setup I did in my cube. You have good taste lol. Can’t wait to see it grown in.
Thank you! I can't wait for it to grow in myself lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
FWIW, I've been using Omega One as my staple food for years and the fish do great on it. Haven't tried New Life, but I've heard good things about it.
Thanks irishspy, i'll see if I can get some in the next couple of weeks.

Thought I might do a little update. Here's the latest picture of the tank.

The tank is now very heavily stocked, and a considerable amount of algae has started to appear on the glass and on some of the anubias. For the most part the plants look like they are doing ok.

I bought a horned nerite recently to help with algae control since the amano died. I am partial to horned nerites just because they are smaller than other nerites but I did not realise how small it was until after I added it to the tank. I ended up moving one of my existing horned nerites to this tank. Hopefully they eat the algae (slightly) faster than the algae can grow.

The anubias and bucephalandra are doing fine as expected...

The rotala looks like they are doing ok too. They have lost some of their lower leaves but I guess that's to be expected in a low light environment...

Currently stocking is as follows

2 sparkling gourami
5 oryzias latipes (i think. Definitely not oryzias woworae in any case)
5 corydoras habrosus
2 horned nerites

I am also considering adding some neocaridina but probably not something flashy like red cherries because they gourami would probably make quick work of them but eh, we'll see how things go in the next couple of weeks.
irishspy and Thelongsnail like this.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 04-08-2020 at 10:50 AM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode