Nano Cube Reboot - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you can, try keeping all the Red Stemmed plants together. When looking at the tank your eyes will immediately focus on this, having it spread out is working but it can really change the look by making a focal point.

Either way, love this tank, very neat in appearance.

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
If you can, try keeping all the Red Stemmed plants together. When looking at the tank your eyes will immediately focus on this, having it spread out is working but it can really change the look by making a focal point.

Either way, love this tank, very neat in appearance.

Gary
Cheers Gary, it took quite a bit of work to get it to this stage and i'm not out of the woods just yet...

Currently i have all the red stems in the back and on the front left. I might eventually replace all of the regular rotundifolia with the red ones once I have enough cuttings as the regular ones were doing quite poorly for awhile. But they seems to be coming back so we'll see. Having that different shade of red would probably make for a more interesting tank.

The green stems will stay contained in the front and on the right but I do have to decide if I want to keep the rotala bangladesh or replace it all with macrandra green. I do prefer the macrandra green and has been growing really fast but i'm worried the relatively larger leaves will shade everything below it. That probably is less of a problem with the bangladesh considering how fine their leaves are. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

I have a lava rock back there that's propping up the wood, so annoyingly I can't plant anything there. Fortunately it doesn't look like there's an obviously empty area from the front so that's not too bad.
post #108 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Red Plant readjustment will go a long way. I would not change too much, just some minor tweaks. You have it, just need to fine tune some things.

Gary

post #109 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A huge setback this weekend.

After returning the brevibora yesterday I picked up 5 sundadanio axelrodi thinking they would be perfect for my tank. I realised too late how delicate these things are. 2 of them died shortly after I added the group to the tank. The remaining 3 died overnight. I managed to locate and remove all the bodies (or what was left of them).

I did think they would do well in this tank. The water is soft and acidic which should be what they like, and the tank is a good size for them. I don't know if these were already in bad shape or something, but this is pretty much the worst thing a fish keeper could experience. As beautiful as these fish are, I don't think I will ever touch them again.

The original inhabitants seem to be doing well so far at least.

I did a big water change after removing the remains and stared at the tank for a bit. I've decided to on a few things:

1. I will be replacing all the rotala bangladesh with macrandra green, probably during my next maintenance session. The macrandra green has been growing well in this tank, and they are stunning plants. A couple of clippings from my existing ones together with a new pot should be enough. Fortunately the plant store isn't that far away from my office so I can get some after work on Friday.

2. I will eventually get rid of the rotala rotundifolia and replace them all with the red ones. I really don't know why these are so much redder than the regular ones, might be a cultivar of some kind. The shop calls them rotala "blood red". Whatever they are, they grow bigger and quicker than the rotundifolia, and are very red. I won't need to buy new stems because I'll have more than enough clippings for replanting in two weeks, which is nice.

3. After I'm done with the rotala and they have grown in more, i'll start looking into dwarf shrimp. Probably in 2 to 3 weeks. I've more or less decided on tangerine tigers, but we'll see.

4. For fish, I'll go for something like boraras merah, brigittae or maculatus. I really should have gotten them instead of the brevibora and sundadanio in the first place.

5. That said, I'm not actually going to get new fish until I finally set up a "quarantine tank". I don't quarantine my purchases which is really stupid. However I do intend to eventually set up a second cube next to this one. After cycling that one, I'll use it to quarantine the fish before I introduce them to this one. I'll probably start getting stuff for the second cube by the end of the year. It does mean it will be months before I add fish to this tank... but rushing out to buy fish just because shops are allowed to start selling them again was a dumb move which I'm not looking to repeat.

So I guess that's my short term and long term plan for now.
post #110 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry to hear about your fish. It is disheartening for any serious fishkeeper to lose stock, and so quickly.

Boraras brigittae have always been my favorite (obviously). You can also get away with quite a bit in the tank without over stocking it.

QT'ing is a great idea. Especially into already established tanks. Medications are not plant safe (even though they state they are) and I would never risk losing my Aquascape due to something I could have prevented.

Gary

post #111 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your fish. It is disheartening for any serious fishkeeper to lose stock, and so quickly.

Boraras brigittae have always been my favorite (obviously). You can also get away with quite a bit in the tank without over stocking it.

QT'ing is a great idea. Especially into already established tanks. Medications are not plant safe (even though they state they are) and I would never risk losing my Aquascape due to something I could have prevented.

Gary
Yeah, after losing so many fish in such a short time i'm not going to rush it again. I'd like to keep this scape long term so a couple of months for fish isn't too bad. And the sparkling gourami and corydoras habrosus are already lovely to watch. I'll try my hand at keeping shrimp in here for now instead and hope the gourami don't kill all of them. If the gourami eat all of them then... I guess I could always get more amanos lol.

I think i'm going to start buying stuff for the new tank once we get to October or November so that by middle of December it's cycled. That established tank will serve as my quarantine for this tank.
post #112 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 10:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have an extra Fluval EBI/FLORA tank which I use. Simply rinse before using, setup, cycle (I use media from the main tank, hanging a sponge in the main tank to seed helps) and the use. Once done, tear down, bleach clean, rinse and put away.

Make sure you use nets/etc only for the QT and not the main.

Gary

post #113 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I have an extra Fluval EBI/FLORA tank which I use. Simply rinse before using, setup, cycle (I use media from the main tank, hanging a sponge in the main tank to seed helps) and the use. Once done, tear down, bleach clean, rinse and put away.

Make sure you use nets/etc only for the QT and not the main.

Gary
Thanks Gary.

Have some more bad news to report. Just got back home from work and noticed that my sparkling gourami do not seem to be doing well. It's probably something the sundadanio brought with them. One of them appear to be particularly weak. I usually skip feeding every other day but I decided to give them food. Fortunately they were well enough to eat.

Decided to do an unplanned water change, seemed like a good idea since the gourami are clearly sick. They went into hiding shortly after that.

I've had these sparklers for about a year and I've grown very attached to them. It would really suck it I were to lose them but I probably deserve it. I'll be working from home tomorrow, so will be keeping an eye on them. I have some metro from Seachem on hand but that's about it... I have to work from home tomorrow but I might try and get a bottle of praziquantel or API General Cure tomorrow. There is a fish store that is pretty close to where I'm staying, not my favourite shop but it will work for last minute purchases like this.

Corydoras habrosus are active as always but will be monitoring them as well.

UPDATE: One of the gourami has died. The other appears to be fine, but will be difficult to observe it considering how shy they are. Corydoras appear to be doing fine as well. Will be monitoring the fish for the next couple of weeks. Probably will not be buying new fish for several months. Perhaps some shrimp in 2 weeks.

UPDATE 2: the remaining gourami has become painfully shy. I guess the loss of its tank mate has affected it quite badly. I can see that he's still alive and healthy. It's only the first day but if he continues behaving like this then I guess he just waste away eventually.

Rehoming probably won't be an option because I just lost fish so who knows what the survivor has got and frankly netting him is nigh impossible unless I remove all the hardscape. Getting more conspecifics isn't an option at the moment because I won't be able to QT it. I guess we'll see what happens in the next couple of days.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 06-30-2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: .
post #114 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ouch and sosry to hear that. Yes, the perils of not using a QT Tank method for new arrivals.

I have wiped out entire tanks before i learned that QT Tanks are a vital necessity for future enjoyment of not only our tanks but the hobby as a whole (many people get disheartened due to the massive fish deaths and just give up),

Gary

post #115 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Ouch and sosry to hear that. Yes, the perils of not using a QT Tank method for new arrivals.

I have wiped out entire tanks before i learned that QT Tanks are a vital necessity for future enjoyment of not only our tanks but the hobby as a whole (many people get disheartened due to the massive fish deaths and just give up),

Gary
Sigh, I've been keeping fish for 2 years so I really should have learned about the importance of a QT by now. I think I might have gotten lucky in the past.

The remaining sparkler doesn't seem to be very happy at the moment. Even though they used to bicker quite a bit I think it's probably wondering where his tank mate has gone. Unfortunately a new tank really isn't on the cards for me right now so not quite sure what to do. Hopefully he gets used to being alone soon.

The corydoras and amano shrimp seem fine at least.

I think I'll get some rotala macrandra green this Friday and plant them over the weekend. Will probably trim and replant my own macrandra greens as well. I trimmed one last weekend and it is putting out 2 new side shoots where I cut it, so it looks like hacking them back and replanting the tops won't hurt them much. Perhaps macrandra green is less finicky than the regular red ones.
Crazygar likes this.
post #116 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Most recent pic

Things seem to be doing ok for the most part.

Staurogyne repens seems to be struggling suddenly and pogostemon helferi looks little overcrowded. Planning to slightly redo this part of the tank. This weekend, will be pulling up the whole lot, getting rid of the s. repens and replanting the pogostemon helferi so that they have more room to grow.

Pic of the pogostemon and staurogyne

Crazygar likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode