Nano Cube Reboot - Page 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
At least they are green and growing. To me, that is a success.

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
At least they are green and growing. To me, that is a success.

Gary
Absolutely. Hopefully I will be able to propagate some soon.

Also, thank you for all the help and advice you have given me! Really appreciate it.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 06-08-2020 at 10:42 AM. Reason: .
post #93 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks and no problem. Us Nano people have to stick together.

Gary
chicken.nublet likes this.

post #94 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Midweek update just because. Picture first

The tank still looks fairly clean (by my standards at least lol) which is great. Just last week there were tons of fuzzy brown algae, which I'm guessing is rhizoclonium, all over the plants and especially on the stems. No matter how much I removed them they would all come back by the next day. I haven't seem any sign of that happening since Sunday, which is great. Still a little too early to celebrate but we'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

I did change some things recently, so something must have worked. I moved the HOB to the center, moved the CO2 diffuser to the right and started dosing Equilibrium to increase GH. Perhaps moving the HOB to the center improved the flow, or perhaps the plants finally had access to calcium and magnesium that they sorely needed. In any case, I hope this will be the end of my rhizoclonium problem. I have also been doing small water changes almost every day, if not every other day. This time I'll try leaving the tank alone until the weekend and see if remains this clean.

I really like the rotala mexicana so I regret not getting another pot while I was at the store but I guess I could always trim and propagate once I get more growth out of the ones I do have. I might have to remove some of the regular rotundifolia to make space in a couple of weeks.

The crypt spiralis has produced quite a fair bit of new leaves as well. I lost a couple of leaves when planting it (because I have crap planting technique), but it seems to be doing very well. Here's a picture of the crypts.

The other crypts in there are not doing much though and they aren't exactly very nice to look at either. I might replace them with some other crypts eventually. I'm also thinking of trying hygrophila pinnatifida again, but not sure if it might be too much for this tank. I did also think about replacing the java fern on the right with bolbitis, but that would probably get too big for this tank eventually.

I do have other algae in there on the bucephalandra and anubias, a bit on BBA on the wood as well, but not really enough to bother me as much as the rhizo. I'll be spot treating the BBA with excel each water change for awhile though.

As always, thanks for reading!

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 06-10-2020 at 12:30 PM. Reason: .
post #95 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There are smaller versions of Java Fern available now: https://buceplant.com/products/micro...us-narrow-mini

Gary

post #96 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
There are smaller versions of Java Fern available now: https://buceplant.com/products/micro...us-narrow-mini

Gary
Thanks but I dont think Buceplant can ship plants to Singapore. But perhaps I'll keep a look out for some trident fern, might fit the tank better than what's in there now.
post #97 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most likely not, but you can always look for these plants locally. I just posted that to show that 'mini' versions are possible in the hobby.

Gary

post #98 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update!

Had to get some documents from the office yesterday but I decided to pick up some plants first since one of the local shops received a shipment from Tropica recently. I have a pretty nice view from my office so I thought I'd take a picture of what I picked up there:

In any case, here's a picture of the tank in its current state

The tank is doing surprisingly well. Changing out the java fern for the trident variety was probably a good idea, I get a much better view of the stems in the background. Also rearranged the bucephalandra on the right to reveal more of the back as well. Added a couple of plants I wanted to try. I have an anubias pinto in my low tech tank that lost its variegation. It did grow some little shoots so I decided to try putting a tiny one in this tank to see if it might grow variegated leaves again.

The bucephalandra and anubias are alright, but not really as healthy as I would like. There is some algae on them, which I don't mind that much, but there has been slight melting as well. It probably has to do with where they're positioned. I've also not attached them to anything, so they sometimes float off when I'm siphoning around them, so I always end up having to stuff them back where I want them. I think they hate being handled so often so I'm trying to be careful not to disturb them too much.

The stems seem to be doing great. It's basically rotala salad in the background.

As I mentioned before I seem to have two varieties of rotala rotundifolia which should be fairly obvious from the picture. The ones that are orange are doing kind of ok, but don't look as robust as the red ones. I planted the orange ones first, and when I first acquired them they had nice big leaves and thick stems. Unfortunately the new growth had pretty poor form; the stems were thin and the leaves became tiny. The red ones are definitely different from the orange ones and have done very well since I acquired them.

I also decided to try some macrandra green as well. Did think of getting the red ones instead but I guess there's already enough red in the tank.

I'm not sure how the tank will look if and when the macrandra grows in but I do like this plant a fair bit. Hopefully it won't look too bad.
Crazygar and doug105! like this.
post #99 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 10:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Coming along nicely! I prefer the new look, keep the plants trimmed to maintain this look and you have a winner!

Gary

post #100 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Coming along nicely! I prefer the new look, keep the plants trimmed to maintain this look and you have a winner!

Gary
Thank you Gary, this would not have been possible without your guidance. Really appreciated your post telling me to stop changing so many things at once. I will not soon forget that nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby. I would prefer considerably more height in the back to hide at least some of the filter though but I suspect I will be trimming fairly regularly from here on now that the tank has finally started going.

Also have to thank @cubecrew and @gjcarew, their posts helped me figure some things out, especially @gjcarew's comment on dosing Equilibrium.

Now that I look back at older pictures it was probably a lack of calcium and poor CO2 levels that lead to the new growth being so weak and unhealthy. Granted, I did replace a fair number of the weaker stems with new plants, but I retained most of the original stems and they have started to put out much healthier and more compact looking growth shortly after I started adding Equilibrium and bumped up the CO2.

It is still very early days for this tank. It's been set up since April but has only really begun to do well from last week. Still a couple of problems in the tank as well. But with regular maintenance I'm sure things can only get better.

Next thing to do is to finally get some more livestock. I think stores will soon be allowed to start selling fish and inverts again so I'll definitely be acquiring some dwarf shrimp. @Zoidburg did suggest I try tigers so that's what I'll be looking into, probably in three weeks after the tank has had more time to mature and after the plants have grown denser (they wouldn't stand a chance with 2 sparkling gourami in the tank otherwise). I'd also like to get a few more mid to top dwelling fish because the tank looks very empty with just 2 sparkling gourami. Not sure if I will do rice fish again but we'll see.
Crazygar likes this.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 06-15-2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: .
post #101 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Planted Member

I'm glad the equilibrium is working out!

Just an FYI when I've had sparkling gourami with shrimp none of the babies survived. Sparkling gouramis are proficient little predators.
Crazygar and chicken.nublet like this.
post #102 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Patience is a the biggest asset in this hobby, you have reached it. One step at a time and your current tank is a testament to your past struggles. Keep going looking forward to seeing this grow out!

Gary

post #103 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
I'm glad the equilibrium is working out!

Just an FYI when I've had sparkling gourami with shrimp none of the babies survived. Sparkling gouramis are proficient little predators.
Yeah, I was expecting that to be the case... I'll take my chances but mmm I don't really expect very good survival rates with those fish in the tank. I'll probably won't add the shrimp until I get more plant mass back there. Will probably not get anything too expensive or flashy either. Something that won't stand out too much would be ideal. Currently I am considering Tangerine Tigers, but i'm not sure how much they go for here in Singapore so we'll see.
post #104 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Small update. Just wanted to post some pics of the rotala macrandra green and pogostemon helferi. Both seem be be doing well.

Crazygar and irishspy like this.
post #105 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nothing much to update but thought I'd post some pics anyway.

19th June.

Added some brevibora exilis. I got 5 in total but 1 of them disappeared overnight. I found another one on the floor the next day. I don't think they like this tank very much so I'll be returning the 3 I have left this weekend. Stems have grown noticeably taller since the last update. Most of the rotala were hacked down during maintenance the next day. The nicer tops were replanted.

24th June.

Rotala macrandra green has grown noticeably since the last picture. Will probably need trimming next week. I'm not sure whether I should uproot and throw the bottoms, their leaves are quite big so maybe not a good idea to let it get too bushy. I did cut one of the stems before and it has thrown out a side shoot. Maybe I'll try replacing some of the rotala bangladesh with the macrandra green tops, I really like this plant so would be nice to have more of them. Rotala bangladesh seems to be doing ok. They don't seem to branch from where I trim though, I notice that they somehow prefer to throw out side shoots a few nodes below where I trim. Just went ahead to trim the bare tops that aren't growing any side shoots yesterday. Can't wait for the whole lot to grow back in again.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 06-25-2020 at 07:04 AM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode