Midweek update just because. Picture first
The tank still looks fairly clean (by my standards at least lol) which is great. Just last week there were tons of fuzzy brown algae, which I'm guessing is rhizoclonium, all over the plants and especially on the stems. No matter how much I removed them they would all come back by the next day. I haven't seem any sign of that happening since Sunday, which is great. Still a little too early to celebrate but we'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks.
I did change some things recently, so something must have worked. I moved the HOB to the center, moved the CO2 diffuser to the right and started dosing Equilibrium to increase GH. Perhaps moving the HOB to the center improved the flow, or perhaps the plants finally had access to calcium and magnesium that they sorely needed. In any case, I hope this will be the end of my rhizoclonium problem. I have also been doing small water changes almost every day, if not every other day. This time I'll try leaving the tank alone until the weekend and see if remains this clean.
I really like the rotala mexicana so I regret not getting another pot while I was at the store but I guess I could always trim and propagate once I get more growth out of the ones I do have. I might have to remove some of the regular rotundifolia to make space in a couple of weeks.
The crypt spiralis has produced quite a fair bit of new leaves as well. I lost a couple of leaves when planting it (because I have crap planting technique), but it seems to be doing very well. Here's a picture of the crypts.
The other crypts in there are not doing much though and they aren't exactly very nice to look at either. I might replace them with some other crypts eventually. I'm also thinking of trying hygrophila pinnatifida again, but not sure if it might be too much for this tank. I did also think about replacing the java fern on the right with bolbitis, but that would probably get too big for this tank eventually.
I do have other algae in there on the bucephalandra and anubias, a bit on BBA on the wood as well, but not really enough to bother me as much as the rhizo. I'll be spot treating the BBA with excel each water change for awhile though.
As always, thanks for reading!