Nano Cube Reboot - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 11:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice, does not even look like there is water in that tank from the first photo!

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.nublet View Post
The tank is now very heavily stocked, and a considerable amount of algae has started to appear on the glass and on some of the anubias. For the most part the plants look like they are doing ok.

I am also considering adding some neocaridina but probably not something flashy like red cherries because they gourami would probably make quick work of them but eh, we'll see how things go in the next couple of weeks.
If you are still looking for plant suggestions and want to stay with crypts you could get crypt balansae which is grass like and tall. If looking for other lowish light stems then there is ludwigia which grows pretty easily if available locally. Limnophila Sessilifolia is likely available to you as well and grows in low light.

Really like the ricefish. Are they platinum variety? My ricefish were fry when I got them at around 1.5cm long and had no color. They developed color as they grew. By the time they were around 2 - 2.5 cm long they had turned orange.

I wouldn't give up on the amanos after just one death. That shrimp could have been sick when you got him. If not, then look towards your water parameters. TDS, and GH are the likely culprits though if you heat your tank over 80 degrees that can also be an issue.
chicken.nublet likes this.

post #18 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Nice, does not even look like there is water in that tank from the first photo!

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
If you are still looking for plant suggestions and want to stay with crypts you could get crypt balansae which is grass like and tall. If looking for other lowish light stems then there is ludwigia which grows pretty easily if available locally. Limnophila Sessilifolia is likely available to you as well and grows in low light.

Really like the ricefish. Are they platinum variety? My ricefish were fry when I got them at around 1.5cm long and had no color. They developed color as they grew. By the time they were around 2 - 2.5 cm long they had turned orange.

I wouldn't give up on the amanos after just one death. That shrimp could have been sick when you got him. If not, then look towards your water parameters. TDS, and GH are the likely culprits though if you heat your tank over 80 degrees that can also be an issue.
Thank you both.

Unfortunately the back is pretty much fully planted, not really much space left back there. I wish I had planted Limnophila Sessilifolia instead of the Rotala though, would probably look better...

Only plants left that I want more of are anubias and bucephalandra clumps. As I was looking at the tank today I did see a few more areas where I can stuff more clumps into. Once I remove the rocks weighing down the wood I could probably add even more. Hopefully I can find some anubias pangolino but those will probably be stupid expensive.

I also stupidly decide to move some of the anubias and bucephalandra around only to find that i liked the original placement better but try as I might I could not get them back where they were exactly. I spent quite a bit of time trying to put them back where they were, hopefully all that prodding won't kill them...
@minorhero, im not so sure what variety these are. I'm not even sure if they're medaka actually but they sure look like them!

Not sure if I want to get another amano, i only got one because they are supposed to be really good at keeping algae in check but I don't really like how big they back. If I do get shrimp I will probably look into neocaridina.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 04-08-2020 at 03:11 PM. Reason: .

post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Not much to update but thought I'd update anyway. The wood has sunken so I've decided to remove the rocks weighing them down. The nerites have done a number on the brown algae that was appearing on the glass. There's still quite a bit of algae but hopefully those will disappear as the tank matures and the snails get to them. Only thing left that I want to do is add a couple more anubias and bucephalandra and see if I can get my hands on some neocaridina. Not sure when I'll get to do that though since the Singapore government has implemented measures requiring all business considered non-essential to close. While pet stores will still be open the store I wanted to get shrimp from will not be selling any livestock so I guess that will have to wait... But I'll see if I can get any plants online. Stay safe everyone!

Pictures

And smol corydoras
post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got some plants in yesterday so did an unplanned water change and added them. Here's a picture of the tank

Basically just picked up a small clump of bucephalandra belindae... thankfully it's quite dense so it sank quite readily. I just have it sitting on the wood, doesn't seem like it will need much to secure it. I'm happy with where the tank is at the moment, but im looking into getting CO2 and shrimp.

Now for some bad news. Because of work I haven't really taken the time to count the fish recently. After I was done with my water change and putting the plants in I fed the fish and it seems like I'm missing 1 ricefish and 1 corydoras, which really sucks. Didn't see any bodies in or around the tank either. I hope that they are not stuck under the hardscape and I really don't think I want to tear everything out to find them. There is plenty of space between the pieces of wood so I don't think they would get stuck or anything but it's a bit concerning.

We'll see how the rest of the fish fare... In the mean time I have to get back to work D:

EDIT: So quick update, had a bit of downtime so I decided to look for the missing fish by removing the wood... and of course I didn't find any trace of them. I've put the wood back in but of course I dislodged all of the epiphyes when I removed them in the first place. I've put them back but I just couldn't get them exactly where they were originally... I am quite dissatisfied now but I guess al I can do is resist putting my hands in the water again until my next scheduled water change since I don't want to stress the plants too much by constantly moving them.

So basically, removing the wood was futile since there were not fish stuck underneath at all and now my plants aren't exactly where I want them to be. Maybe by the time I do my next water change I'll be happy with where they are now, we'll see.
Crazygar and Thelongsnail like this.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 04-15-2020 at 04:41 AM. Reason: .
post #21 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm really loving this tank. I want to do one centered around anubias and bucephalandra.

Just out of curiosity, did you test ammonia once you discovered the fish missing? A small reading would indicate what was left of them was in there, somewhere...
chicken.nublet likes this.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #22 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
I'm really loving this tank. I want to do one centered around anubias and bucephalandra.

Just out of curiosity, did you test ammonia once you discovered the fish missing? A small reading would indicate what was left of them was in there, somewhere...
Thanks irishspy, hopefully this scape will last longer than the previous disaster.

Thanks for the suggestion, it didn't even occur to me to test for ammonia... basic fishkeeping fail! I went ahead to test it once I read your post... strangely, the reading came up zero. No bodies under the wood either. No shrimp to eat them and i'm not sure if nerites eat dead fish or not. I guess i'll never find out what happened to them.

In other news, I decided to pull the trigger on a regulator from CO2 Art (the cheaper one). There does not seem to be any stock available locally so I decided to order one directly from them. Not sure if DHL will encounter any difficulties with shipping but I guess we'll see.
post #23 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Snails and/or Shrimp will never pass up a free meal. Most likely your Snails took care of the corpse.

I may be snail, I cannot pass up a free meal either.

Gary
forksnbolts likes this.

post #24 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Snails and/or Shrimp will never pass up a free meal. Most likely your Snails took care of the corpse.

I may be snail, I cannot pass up a free meal either.

Gary
Oooo, didn't know nerites would show interest in fish.

Anyway more bad news, the stems have been looking quite sad recently and I've noticed some BGA growing on the leaves as well. I've trimmed whatever affect stems I can see. They have been looking quite poorly even though I was under the impression that most rotala would do fine withou CO2. I think I might try increasing the brightness just a little tomorrow and dosing slightly more ferts to see if that does anything for them while I wait for my CO2 things t get here.
post #25 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmm making things brighter may be reverse of what you want to do. I learned this lesson with Office Space II. I awaited for my CO2 items to arrive, by then I had major algae issues. Lesson learned. Never to be repeated.

Gary

post #26 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Hmmm making things brighter may be reverse of what you want to do. I learned this lesson with Office Space II. I awaited for my CO2 items to arrive, by then I had major algae issues. Lesson learned. Never to be repeated.

Gary

Lights are fairly dim right now but yeah you're probably right. Probably a better idea to wait for my CO2 and have it set up for awhile before I turn up the brightness.
post #27 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes that would be a better idea. How long before you assemble your CO2 system? What type of dosing are you planning?

Gary

post #28 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Yes that would be a better idea. How long before you assemble your CO2 system? What type of dosing are you planning?

Gary
Haha honestly I don't know, CO2 Art hasn't shipped my order... it may be a while before I can set it up.
post #29 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Frequent water changes as well then. You need to keep things balanced just right in the plants favor while outcompeting algae.

Gary

post #30 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Frequent water changes as well then. You need to keep things balanced just right in the plants favor while outcompeting algae.

Gary
I have been doing 50% a once week actually. Maybe twice a week for awhile?

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 04-21-2020 at 02:50 PM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode