From Reef to Nature Aquarium journey - The Planted Tank Forum
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
From Reef to Nature Aquarium journey

I have been on the forum for a while now discussing and enjoying the posts of members.
I have been developing my planted side of the hobby the last year do to my wife's love of plants.
This means I can have more aquariums. I am a retired maintenance man I specialized in Computer control and product testing equipment maintenance. This always fit with my aquarium hobby as I had to test lighting for color temp change in food inspection. I had to test ph probes to make sure they were all working and since we used a lot of pumps from peristaltic to high-pressure pumps. I was able to learn about the equipment I used at home on my aquariums. I have had aquariums since I was 10 years old now pushing 66 years old it been a life long hobby. During my time in the hobby, I started keeping Saltwater in the early 80's I was a moderator on Fishnet on the computer network called Compuserve . I meet many liked minded hobbyists there who in later years became authors such as Julian Sprung and so many others who now run aquarium companies. I was an original board member of MASNA and I still have an interest there.
So this brings us to my current aquariums.
This past September I started gathering equipment together for a 120P aquarium for our living room.

This will be my last big tank build so with my free time I am able to get things right.

Here is the state of one side of my two-car garage in all that stuff is GHL lights an ADA 120p aquarium an two 120p stands custom made by Aquarium Design Group.
In the coming weeks, as the temperature warms up, I will be moving the stand and aquarium into the living room and will be posting my progress at putting all this stuff together. Lots of equipment to rework and set up.Moving RO/DI system and Auto water change system around in the garage as I plan to be rasing berghia nudibranchs to learn more about aiptasia a pest in the saltwater hobby.

One of the first things I had to do was paint the inside of the stand from black to white. I thne wanted to add a sliding shelf for my ADA 1200 Power filter.
I ordered sliding shelf brackets from an online cabinet part supplier.

I then installed the slides on a piece of scrape shelf board from my Local Home Depot.

I then installed the shelf to the inside of the cabinet.

The next Step is to drill holes to mount the light stands. It should be warm this weekend to do this task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Wait you bought an ADA filter? And you are putting INSIDE the cabinet?

:P

In all seriousness those filters look amazing. They cost a crazy amount, but they also look like they cost a crazy amount, so you know... parity.

Anyway I really like where this thread is going, it sounds like you have the makings of an incredible tank. Looking forward to updates!
Blue Ridge Reef and Asteroid like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:04 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
This is going to be an epic one, subscribed!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wife would let me build a glass stand. I have a couple of ADA Powerfilters.
Blue Ridge Reef and minorhero like this.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Enjoy this build and journey, looks to be off to a wonderful start. You have a subscriber!

|

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Good Times! With all the good stuff you've brought to the table here over the years, I'm really looking forward to your build. Subbed for sure

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice! Looks like it's gonna be quite a build!

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So today I worked on a doser issue of another hobbyist. I se people on forums struggle with equipment and try to help with direction how to fix issues but sometimes they still donít get it. So I had the hobbyist send me the doser so i could fix it for him.

Plugged the unit in and the dreaded red flashing light status
So I start up the software and dig into the problem.

Once online with the doser the issue was the doser was connected to a cloud computer connection.

So I reset the doser to the default setting.
Now I am getting somewhere. No flashing red light
Next step was to get the firmware for the doser up to date as it hadnít been updated in 4 years.
So once the firmware was up dated.

I have the wifi hotspot working and the doser is back online and connect to the phone app.
Doser is ready to go back to a happy hobbyist.
Maybe tomorrow I will get something done on my tank.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 12:57 AM
Planted Member

Don't have to think twice about putting a sub' in for this thread!

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Water change day for the 30C tank. Itís also time to clean the ADA 150es.

On this aquarium I use a KASA WiFi 6 outlet power strip. It allows me to set up a group of plugs to turn off during a water change.

Ready to clean the 150.

Snap off the top to remove the media bag.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The water in the bin is from the aquarium water change. So bacteria in the bag will not be affected.

I rolls and squeeze the bag in the water for a few minutes.

Now I clean the inside of the filter.

I put the bottom screen back in the the supports facing down so the intake is not covered.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Now on to the Lilly pipes. Love the ADA spring brushes. As the brushes are cut to the size of the pipes. So that the clean the pipes easy

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Clean the shrimp screen good with a tooth brush. To keep it from clogging and slowly flow.

Add the sponge back into the bottom of the filter.

Put the media bag back into the filter and put the screen back in with the supports facing up so the intake of the pump is not blocked.

Installed the top back on to the filter body and itís ready to go back on the aquarium.

Water change down and filter cleaning for the month done. Time to rest.
Blue Ridge Reef and Hujeta like this.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
That's a pretty sharp filter, thanks for the walk thru. What's in the media bag? Is that the stuff they call "Bio Rio"?

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes it comes with bio rio and carbon.
The sponges are carbon too.
Love the filter. My 120 p will use a 1200 es ADA.
KayakJimW likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode