First and Second Planted Tank 60Ps - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 10:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAG View Post
When you use the frogbit how long do you use it for and how do you know it has done its job?
When I used Frogbit, I use it until all the plants are just bursting with color, growing rapidly and algae is minimal. I also weed out the amount of Frogbit per week (this stuff really grows hence it's ability to be a nutrient sponge) during water changes.

This is something that has worked for me and helped with my Green Water issue when starting up Office Space II.

Gary
P.Isley likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 01:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraev View Post
I found that the best animal to remove algae from rocks is nerite snails. They literally turned my slightly green tinged minilandsape rock pretty much free of all algae. The only negative is that they do lay their eggs on it which is a bit hard to scrub off..but its not impossible to remove it from the glass, but removing it from rocks is a bit harder.
I saw one YouTube video where the presenter was showing his cleaning supplies cart. One thing that he had was an electric toothbrush. They are waterproof, battery operated and seem to be perfect for cleaning rocks...
P.Isley likes this.
post #63 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I added some more monte carlo and moved some buce and anubias around. The Vallisneria gigantea is getting big fast.

I started dosing UNS Plant Food and I can see a huge difference. Less algae and a lot of plant growth.

I was thinking about adding some Eleocharis vivipara what doe you guys think? Any suggestions? I hope the monte in the front left will start growing over the rock so it looks more natural. I think I pushed it back while I was scrubbing that rock. Kind of looks like a "U" now.
This tank is nearly exactly what I am building: 25 gallon Landen 60cm rimless with a Twinstar light and glass pipes. Oase Biomaster Thermo and CO2. Fluval Stratum with a sand cover.

I already broke one Jardli glass pipe and I have not even turned the filter on yet! It just tapped lightly against the tank glass.

Subscribed...
P.Isley likes this.

post #64 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks @Crazygar. I am going to get some this week or next and try it out.
@mourip I have seen that too. I am actually using a brass wire brush. It works amazing.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
This tank is nearly exactly what I am building: 25 gallon Landen 60cm rimless with a Twinstar light and glass pipes. Oase Biomaster Thermo and CO2. Fluval Stratum with a sand cover.

I already broke one Jardli glass pipe and I have not even turned the filter on yet! It just tapped lightly against the tank glass.

Subscribed...
I will have to get some pictures but what I did with the lily pipes is I cut a piece of clear tubbing maybe a half an inch long and then cut one side so I was able to slip it around the lily pipe where it touches or could hit the rim of the tank. I will get some pics.

I am excited to see your tank. Do you have a thread?
post #65 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Crazygar here is a better picture of the algae I am starting to grow. Also will water lettuce work the same as frotbit? What is the difference?

@mourip you can see the cut tubing on the pipe in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4503.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	900049  

Name:	IMG_4502.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	900051  

mourip likes this.

Last edited by JAAG; 06-19-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: for got something
post #66 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 11:27 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
@Crazygar here is a better picture of the algae I am starting to grow. Also will water lettuce work the same as frotbit? What is the difference?

@mourip you can see the cut tubing on the pipe in the picture.
Nice idea. I was manipulating my Jardli "violet" glass inflow pipe and just tapped it against he tank wall. It is still intact but has a nasty crack.

I bought a replacement but if I break another I will go to stainless!

Bump:
Quote:
Thanks @Crazygar. I am going to get some this week or next and try it out.
@mourip I have seen that too. I am actually using a brass wire brush. It works amazing.

Bump:

I will have to get some pictures but what I did with the lily pipes is I cut a piece of clear tubbing maybe a half an inch long and then cut one side so I was able to slip it around the lily pipe where it touches or could hit the rim of the tank. I will get some pics.

I am excited to see your tank. Do you have a thread?
It is here.

Currently I am obsessing over the hardscape but I fired up the Oase filter today. Baby steps...
post #67 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I subscribed to your thread. Do you have pics of your hardscape up yet?
post #68 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lasted picture update.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4504.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	900121  

butchblack likes this.
post #69 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

The new tank is looking good! What size lily pipes are you using? 13 or 17mm? I am setting up a UNS 60U and would like to use a biomaster filter, but I am not sure if the larger 17mm pipes that requires would look disproportionately large in a 60cm tank. Sadly, there is nowhere close that I can see both sizes in person.
post #70 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mine are 17mm.
post #71 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower

They don't look too big at all in that tank. Thanks, I appreciate it!
post #72 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya they don’t look bad at all and you’re welcome.
post #73 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Water Lettuce can grow massive, one plant will cover your entire tank. Pistia can grow to 16" wide.

Frogbit or Limnobium laevigatum, grows much smaller and what I use for Nutrient sinks until things get balanced. Do not let it take it over. Thin it out to ensure it does not take over.

Gary
JAAG likes this.

post #74 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
How are the tetras doing with the shrimp? that species I've had issues with being aggressive so ended up taking them out.

I agree with the whole nerites walking out of a rimless tank, I've had that happen as well

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #75 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 09:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post

Subscribed...

Same! I started my ADA60P journey. Following

Tags
ada, ada 60-p, first planted tank, plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode