10 gallon garden - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 gallon garden

Started a new tank itís the 11.7 gallon Aqua Japan, a nice looking timeless tank silicone is not as clean as ADA but still very nice.
Equipment
Fluval 3.0 nano
Dymax slim filter 60 gph
Seneye, hopefully will work great to cycle the tank but probably wonít replace the slide.
50 watt heater with ink bird controls

For plants I have some
Balansae
Lutea
Cardinal plant
And one red wendetii

Fish
Pea puffer
9 chili Raaboras
2 Corydoras hastatus
These fish have all been together about 3 years.
I placed 20 pounds of black sand and 5 root tabs in the tank. That is all the root tabs I had do I need to add more right away or wait about 2 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Planted Member

Always good fun to start up a tank! Any pictures after flooding it, or will it be a dry start? Would be interesting to hear how the pea puffers are behaving in the aquarium, I was considering them but ruled them out due to some of their specific requirements/ behaviour.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inspired by nature
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Always good fun to start up a tank! Any pictures after flooding it, or will it be a dry start? Would be interesting to hear how the pea puffers are behaving in the aquarium, I was considering them but ruled them out due to some of their specific requirements/ behaviour.

Thanks for the reply, I flooded the tank last night Iíll get a picture tonight so I can control glare a little bit.
I only have one pea puffer she really is more concerned about what goes on outside the tank than inside. She easy to take care of she not aggressive to any tank mates and eats several type of prepared or frozen foods. The only thing is is she does not like certain people and will go crazy if they get close to the tank.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 09:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt69 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I flooded the tank last night Iíll get a picture tonight so I can control glare a little bit.
I only have one pea puffer she really is more concerned about what goes on outside the tank than inside. She easy to take care of she not aggressive to any tank mates and eats several type of prepared or frozen foods. The only thing is is she does not like certain people and will go crazy if they get close to the tank.

Looking forward to more pictures! Sounds like there's a lot of personality in that little puffer then, and clearly quite 'woke' too. Wouldn't she benefit from more conspecifics or would that induce trouble?

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My pea puffer jumped out of the tank, I went to get some groceries and come home and she was gone. I found her on the floor and threw her back in the tank and she floated on top of the water for like 10 seconds then started breathing. She swam pretty badly so I shut the light off and left for like ten minutes and come back to check on her and she swam to the front of the tank and greeted me. Itís been like 15 minutes and it seems like she is back to 75% from not breaking.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 05:02 AM
Planted Member

Glad your poofer is making it! Hope she is fine
Streetwise likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow, hope she recovers fully from her outing... I loved my puffer, but he was not as well behaved as yours and started chomping on fins, so had to be rehomed. Will you be getting a lid?

You said these fish have all been together for 3 yrs. In what size tank?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Wow, hope she recovers fully from her outing... I loved my puffer, but he was not as well behaved as yours and started chomping on fins, so had to be rehomed. Will you be getting a lid?

You said these fish have all been together for 3 yrs. In what size tank?

They were in a 7.5 now a 11.7, I had a lid it just had a wide gap in the back by the filter I guess. But I will be getting another lid .
Some puffers get nippy and some get murderous, and some donít. Kind off a gamble unless your willing to rehome something.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

She not back to a 100% but doing better,
I did a small water change and added API EM to help with secondary infections.

Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just an update, the pea puffer that is named bubbles continues to improve. I thought I seen her eat one frozen brine shrimp but not sure did a 20% water change and re-dosed API EM.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200217/59a7d7693afd164aa9f0af652a2f6c07.jpg[/IMG]

Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 05:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Just an update, the pea puffer that is named bubbles continues to improve. I thought I seen her eat one frozen brine shrimp but not sure did a 20% water change and re-dosed API EM.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200217/59a7d7693afd164aa9f0af652a2f6c07.jpg[/IMG]

my pea puffer is thriving since I got him a few months ago. He's probably doubled in size too. I hardly feed him. At first, I fed him bloodworms but I had to wave them in front of him with a pipette. What a pain in the ass since half the time he's not out and about. But then I started a pond snail colony in a 10 gallon utility tank. I put a bunch in his tank, they bred, and I add a few more every now and then. He finds them I guess, because I've never seen him look anything but plump and he's grow na lot. He loves the snails. Before I had a colony my LFS sold me for 3/1.00. I also see him hovering and pecking sometimes at floaters and flame moss. Not sure if he's eating microorganisms or baby snails or what.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquapadawan View Post
my pea puffer is thriving since I got him a few months ago. He's probably doubled in size too. I hardly feed him. At first, I fed him bloodworms but I had to wave them in front of him with a pipette. What a pain in the ass since half the time he's not out and about. But then I started a pond snail colony in a 10 gallon utility tank. I put a bunch in his tank, they bred, and I add a few more every now and then. He finds them I guess, because I've never seen him look anything but plump and he's grow na lot. He loves the snails. Before I had a colony my LFS sold me for 3/1.00. I also see him hovering and pecking sometimes at floaters and flame moss. Not sure if he's eating microorganisms or baby snails or what.

Thatís pretty cool, makes them easy to take care when the tank grows food. I have a colony of MTS snails that hang out in the sand when lights go out puffer go to sleep and snail come out. She hunts for them in the morning and gets them once in awhile.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 06:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thatís pretty cool, makes them easy to take care when the tank grows food. I have a colony of MTS snails that hang out in the sand when lights go out puffer go to sleep and snail come out. She hunts for them in the morning and gets them once in awhile.

yeah I lost patience for feeding the puffer after week one. It was fun dangling blood worms in front of his face for a little while, but he isn't even out half the time. So try doing that a couple times a day lolAnyway snails are better for them
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just a weekly update added some C Balansae and Rotala Rotundifolia. All the fish are doing great the pea puffer has made a full recovery after jumping out of the tank.

ererer likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
That’s pretty cool, makes them easy to take care when the tank grows food. I have a colony of MTS snails that hang out in the sand when lights go out puffer go to sleep and snail come out. She hunts for them in the morning and gets them once in awhile.
I had an explosion of bladder & MTS snails. When I added the puffer (originally two--the larger bullied the smaller to death in the first couple of weeks) the MTS quickly learned to hide in the substrate during the day and only come out at night. He eliminated all the bladder snails, and managed to stay fat & healthy on the MTS he was able to find. But I wonder if the lack of prey to hunt during the day is what led him to start chomping fins. So he want back to reform school. Some assassins seem to be making a serious dent in the MTS--don't see large ones anymore--only babies. And the assassins are starting to multiply.

Last edited by Desert Pupfish; 02-24-2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode