Office Space II -7.9GAL Hi-Tech - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
excited to see the pics with that overgrowing buce!

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have never tested for kH. pH started out good, but the last month, it has been slowly creeping upwards. I am also thinking the place that does the water, needs to change their membrane.

Using RO water.

Evapouration is about 3/4" since yesterday. I do 5% water changes every other day, larger one on Sunday (15%).

My pH readings lately have been all over the map. I am suspecting the pH Pen as another probable cause. Calibration Fluid is on the way.

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #108 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Office Space II as of last night at 6PM. Even though I trimmed the hairgrass, looks like another round this weekend to get it more "lawnlike". But is on track for the AGA this year.

I am letting this piece of H. pinnafitada break the water surface and hopefully flower. I've had other species of Hygro flower for me in the past so I am curious as to how this will look. Hygro, when flowering has a "vanilla" smell to it.

@fpn, I did a check of the pH with my litmus paper, 6.5 (I know these are subjective but it is close to where the pH should be). pH pen reading, 7.32. pH pen needs calibrating. I will restart the pH tracking once I recalibrate my pH pen.

Gary
Nebthet78 likes this.

post #109 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 11:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Fish and plants are looking great!
Crazygar likes this.

post #110 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! Though I keep think I am missing something at the front of that wood. I keep coming back to that large gap in the front. Have been undecided what to do with it.

Gary

post #111 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

40 Minute Session

Did some basic maintenance which included:
  • Trimmed the Staurogyne (was starting to creep out again)
  • Trimmed the Blyxa (as always)
  • Cleaning of the glass inside/outside

Really did not need much today but next week, Hygro again. Most likely a bit of the Hairgrass as well. Everything is still on track for September!

Going to start up pH monitoring again tomorrow. Calibration fluid arrived and I've calibrated the pH Pen.

Album this week was Juno Reactor, "Odyssey 1992-2002", some good ole Rave Techno music.

Need to adjust the Hygro height and position, overall turning out nicely.

Gary
Discusluv and Nebthet78 like this.

post #112 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

Hi Gary

I think I will probably get a small group of boraras brigittae (or some of their cousins) for my own tank and I'm wondering how you feed these guys considering how tiny they are. I recall that you break up algae wafers for them and the shrimp. Are the wafers their staple or do you give them anything else?

I currently feed my fish with these pellets from some European company which is fairly popular in Singapore. Those are small enough for ember tetras, sparkling gourami and corydoras harbrosus to take, but not sure if they are a suitable size for the boraras.

Cheers
post #113 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a Mortar and Pestle that I use specifically for my fish, as I crush all their food into a finer powder. Best part is, a small container of Flaked Food and bug bites have lasted forever.

Frozen Daphnia is also a hit and I only cut small slivers off a cube, which means one cube lasts many feedings.

Dominant Males are so red they are hard not to see and do well amongst deep greens in the tank. Good choice of fish, peaceful and leave the Shrimp alone (unless they are fighting for a nibble of an algae wafer).

The Algae Wafers are intended for the Shrimp but I find the Boraras are more than happy to eat them as well. I put in the wafer (broken into tiny pieces) about 1-2 hours later after feeding Flaked/Bug Bites.

Gary
Nebthet78 likes this.

post #114 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
I have a Mortar and Pestle that I use specifically for my fish, as I crush all their food into a finer powder. Best part is, a small container of Flaked Food and bug bites have lasted forever.

Frozen Daphnia is also a hit and I only cut small slivers off a cube, which means one cube lasts many feedings.

Dominant Males are so red they are hard not to see and do well amongst deep greens in the tank. Good choice of fish, peaceful and leave the Shrimp alone (unless they are fighting for a nibble of an algae wafer).

The Algae Wafers are intended for the Shrimp but I find the Boraras are more than happy to eat them as well. I put in the wafer (broken into tiny pieces) about 1-2 hours later after feeding Flaked/Bug Bites.

Gary
I am definitely considering these guys. Not many other fish suitable for tiny spaces like ours.

The only other fish I am considering are sundadanio axelrodi, clown killifish and norman's lampeye killlifish.

I would prefer not to have to crush their food though, it would be very annoying if the powder gets sucked into the filter... I have a HOB so the food definitely will not stay on the surface for long either (unless I turn it off everytime I feed).

I might have to look for fish with slightly bigger mouths D:
Crazygar likes this.
post #115 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Even feeding normally it will get sucked into the filter, as it's doing right now in your tank.

You can also set the filter on a timer, and have it shut down for 10-20 minutes during feeding time if that is a concern.

They are wonderful fish. You can also powderize the food by rubbing it between your fingers. Many options no need to worry about filtration unit, this is what is intended for.

Gary

post #116 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 11:41 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Even feeding normally it will get sucked into the filter, as it's doing right now in your tank.

You can also set the filter on a timer, and have it shut down for 10-20 minutes during feeding time if that is a concern.

They are wonderful fish. You can also powderize the food by rubbing it between your fingers. Many options no need to worry about filtration unit, this is what is intended for.

Gary
Mmmm I hate when food gets sucked into the filter. And my sparkling gourami are ridiculously skittish so i usually dispense food using a pipette, and only when they're out. Makes feeding time a real pain because it takes a while for them to realise the pipette is in the tank. They have come to associate the pipette with food but they don't seem to realise the food really comes from me lmao. Usually they manage to finish everything before it hits the substrate, but I tend to feed very little.

But i hear your point about the filter though so... I'll probably go ahead and get the boraras, that red and those black markings are irresistible.
post #117 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Stunning little fish and should go well with those Sparkling Gourami. Talk with other hobbyists that keep these fish together, while websites state all sorts of things, first hand knowledge is always the best. It's a part of my research routine.

Boraras are aggressive feeders, so target feeding your Gourami will become a normal routine. My suggestion feed the Boraras and while they are eating, feed the Gourami.

Gary
chicken.nublet likes this.

post #118 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Trials and Tribulations, A One Hour Session

As the title suggests, today's session was not without things that challenge me even further.

Seems my HC mound has decided to let go of it's grip of the rock underneath. I am placing sole blame on the gigantic mound of Hygrophila that grew so dense, it literally was stopping flow from the powerhead to the left side of the tank.

While the mound did lift up, it gave me an opportunity to trim around it and then press it back down into place in hopes it will reattach. Making a mental note to leave this area alone for 2 weeks.

I am looking to get a pair of trimming scissors made custom. Since I do not have much use of my left arm, I need smaller scissors bent 90 so I can trim across like an aquatic lawnmower. This will be this weeks project to source and buy.

Require one more Seiryu stone to fill in a gap at the bottom right of the Buce/Hygro near the Stauro/AR Mini area. Noticeable gap, needs to be plugged before I submit to the AGA in a few months. Algae on the rocks are starting to clear up pretty fast. A Nerite was on the docket, but now I plan to wait.

This weeks maintenance included:
  1. Trimming, replace, throw out quite a bit of Hygrophila
  2. Trim Blyxa around the Atomizer
  3. Trim a bit of the Staurogyne that we creeping into my AR Mini
  4. Trim the Hairgrass (like everyone else, a long overdue haircut)
  5. Clean the glass inside and outside.
  6. Did some spot check on my rocks, algae is starting to diminish. I may have been the Hygro soaking up everything.

Everything else is on track. Going to concentrate on getting that HC Mound to reattach. No more alternations, just grow out.

Stopped measuring the pH for a little while. I do check on occasion and it always falls between 6.60 - 6.75 at 8PM, and in the morning, 7.45 - 7.55. Acceptable. Oh, it's the Seiryu stone raising the pH, and I need one more. Sigh.

This week's album was my MDB Beautiful Voices collection placed on shuffle. I have all 61 compilations, roughly 20 tracks per compilation, and it takes a full three days (non-stop) to listen to them all. Very chill.

I had to remove the floating HC Mound. With my luck, during the night it would detach, get sucked into the powerhead and it would be literally spread all over the tank.

To save myself the anguish and frustration, I just removed it. There are pieces that are still attached at the sides and with a little coaxing, I can definitely get it to return. Disappointing, it was nice a piece of plant.

Gary
Discusluv likes this.

post #119 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

These are ridiculously expensive, but might do the trick...

https://www.amazon.ca/DreamCut-Handl...879681&sr=8-44

... and sorry to hear about the HC mound.
post #120 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Isley View Post
These are ridiculously expensive, but might do the trick...

https://www.amazon.ca/DreamCut-Handl...879681&sr=8-44

... and sorry to hear about the HC mound.
Thanks. I am going to concentrate on getting the mound to reappear. I have enough HC, just have to start seeding the rock again.

As for the scissors, ordered. Those were exactly what I am looking for! Thanks.

Gary
P.Isley likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode