Office Space II -7.9GAL Hi-Tech - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Zebra Oto is still kicking and actually a bit more active than he has been in a little while. I am guessing whatever happened, I may have saved him. Just wondering if this is the calm before the storm.

Thought I had lost a small CRS today, but it turned out to be a piece of meat from the large dead one, the rest of it is quite literally gone. The other Shrimp/Snails must have consumed it all.

A good deal of the Shrimp are out at dawn/dusk/night than during the day. Lights too bright? Not really sure, but they sure love behind the Driftwood amongst the Blyxa and Buce, much to my viewing dismay.

I do plan to increase their numbers to see if that will change their habits or if I am buying more introverts like myself.

Tank is remarkably clear for a Thursday. Usually I can tell the tank needs a cleaning by this point. Today, however, no. Maybe because I've started something new..

I have stopped dosing Flourish Excel. The tank is balanced. The plants are doing fine. The algae that is in the tank is neither unsightly or getting out of hand.

I will keep it around and do spot dosing (then a scrubbing with a Toothbrush) if need be, but I plan to continue this experiment and see what happens.

Flourish Excel is more of an algaecide than organic source of CO2. It contains glutaraldehyde which is C5H8O2, which is also a steralizer amongst other things. Going to switch it off and see what happens.

Water seems to be less "oily". Starting to believe the Excel may have had a part to play in this.

Gary
doug105!, Discusluv and Streetwise like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 12:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Save that Zebra Oto!
Discusluv likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #33 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I plan too Streetwise, but I can clearly see where it smashed it's head into the glass. Having somewhat specialized in Otos, not seeing the dorsal fin erect while it's feeding is another not so good sign. We will see though, too early to tell.

Gary
Discusluv likes this.

post #34 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

2 hour session, didn't get to the Filter output or Filter itself, next week. I spent a great deal of time cleaning, cutting, pruning and/or trimming...

• Staurogyne trim
  • HC mound trim
  • Extensive Hairgrass trim
  • Cleaned some of the rocks aggressively
  • Cleaned the CO2 Bell Ceramic diffuser
  • Cut a piece of Buce and moved it to a more central position. My goal is to fill all gaps with Buce on the wood

Next week is Filter and Hygo.

Some revelations, I found my pH Pen and took a reading of the RO/DI water I am using. pH of 6.28. Took a measurement of the tank after filling and restarting, 7.18! What? Took another measurement, pH 7.18.

Now this could be because a scrubbed a few of the rocks quite hard this time. They released a lot of "dust" (they are Seiryu stones after all), which I believe is causing the pH swing. I plan to take a measurement tomorrow morning in the AM (7 or 8am) and then one again at 4PM. Also the pH should not be over 6.86 which it was the last time I used this pen.

I am going to recalibrate it to ensure I am measuring correctly.

Small curve tipped scissors will go a long way on helping me trim the Hairgrass better. But I managed, and boy, cleaning it up was quite the process.

While I was trimming the Hairgrass and doing basic maintenance, I had the CO2 diffuser soaking in hot water from the kettle. When it came to cleaning the ceramic disc, it didn't take much effort to remove the algae coating.

Blyxa is growing Horizontal rather than vertical. It has some daughter plants that have grown past the CO2 diffuser again. Next week, going to replant the strays into the main Blyxa area and create another plastic strip border to stop it from creeping.

Gary
doug105! likes this.

post #35 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did a recalibration on the pH pen. I did a test run and at 8pm, 1 hour to go before CO2 shuts off, 6.28. Which would be where I guessed it would be sitting.

Going to do testing at 8am (10 hours of no CO2), at 8pm (7 hours of CO2) to see what the swings are. Spreadsheet ready to go. Will post weekly results with my Sunday maintenance entry starting next week Monday the 23rd.

Plants and and animals are doing (ha ha) swimmingly so when it comes to testing, it's just the basic. I've found many times over, if you think something is off, you monkey with it and crash the system.

I use my eyes and powers of observation to see if something is wrong.

Plants are growing and showing full coloration. Animals (Chili Rasboras) are deep red. Shrimp, still introverts, but they do come out, make a cameo, and then return to their Blyxa sanctuary.

Gary

post #36 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

MISSING : One Otocinclus Cocama (Marty)

The last time I saw my Zebra Oto (Marty) was Wednesday. I have not seen him since. Even with me poking around the Blyxa forest to see if I can flush him out, nada. I am assuming the worse. Considering the Shrimp and Snails will make short work of his corpse I am going to be changing his status to MIA.

Generally during the maintenance he is swimming around as I am disturbing the general tranquility of the tank. If he does not appear by Wednesday, he will be listed KIA and I will try my luck by going to Petsmart to see if they have any Otos.

I just finished what I needed to do for the tank maintenance today.

• Spot trimming of the Staurogyne repens
  • Disbursement of the Hygrophila pinnatifida (some in the Buce, one plant moved to the far right back)
  • Spot trimming of HC
  • Removal of a large clump of Java Mess (I hate this stuff)
  • Maintenance of the Powerhead (snail removal)
  • Snail Removal

It was an hour session since I had little trimming to do. Once again, letting things grow out and then I'll be back at it again. Pictures to follow this evening, while the tank is clearing up, it's a bit cloudy due a bit of scrubbing...

Today was Tool, Fear Inoculum, one heck of a great album. Tool hit its stride with 10,000 days, this album is sheer perfection.

Pearling. These Cell Phones are incredible at taking pictures. My DSLR would have captured more, but this is really good.

Hygo amongst the Buce. Looking forward to finishing the look I wish to achieve.

Gary
doug105!, Grobbins48 and Discusluv like this.

post #37 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tank is looking fantastic, Gary! Great updates and really sharp pictures!

That hairgrass carpet if absolutely fantastic!
Crazygar likes this.

|

post #38 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I really baby this tank. I should get myself motivated to remove the Powerhead before taking my glamor shots.

Gary

post #39 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 05:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Beautiful tank, sir!

I have a similar tank in need of a new filter. Does the flow of the canister get to be too much?
Crazygar likes this.

post #40 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the kind words, as for flow, I find it a bit underwhelming, hence the powerhead.

The Violet lily pipe shoots the water in a downwards direction and makes no surface movement what so ever. Also, Eheim filters seem to really clog up fast, so monthly cleaning is required.

When it's fully cleaned the flow is powerful, but that only lasts two or three weeks before it starts to reduce again. I am working on a Dual Output system where I am going to use both a Violet Lily Pipe (to push my CO2 around) and Jet for surface water movement. Of course I will need a bit more power to have the system work proper.

Gary

post #41 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 01:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Beautiful looking tank, I really like the looks of it. Thanks for posting!

Bump: Beautiful looking tank, I really like the looks of it. Thanks for posting!
Crazygar likes this.

post #42 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you, I have put more effort into this tank than any other I have owned in the past. Nano presents it's challenges and that was something I needed to motivate myself back into the Hobby after a 2 year hiatus.

Gary
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #43 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Your effort really shows. Very healthy looking tank with amazing growth.

I'm very jealous of you DHG(?) carpet.

Great job, man!
Crazygar likes this.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215
post #44 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

"There once was a man from Nantucket..."

LOL Thanks. Semi-regular trimming keeps the DHG is optimal form. Also I move the syphon wand amongst it during water changes getting particles (and small snails) to ensure no debris collection.

Gary

post #45 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 11:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
"There once was a man from Nantucket..."

LOL Thanks. Semi-regular trimming keeps the DHG is optimal form. Also I move the syphon wand amongst it during water changes getting particles (and small snails) to ensure no debris collection.

Gary

Haha. I'm not that man, trust me!

I'm going to follow your advice as I've just planted quite a bit of DHG and would love it if I could get it to carpet like you have. We shall see.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode