Office Space II -7.9GAL Hi-Tech - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That looks so great!
Crazygar likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks, time to grow out that Blyxa and start getting the Hygro where I want it!

I've looked for quite some time for those Shrimp, I swear it felt like Christmas when I was a little kid. True sign of the die hard hobbyist.

Gary

post #18 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:07 PM
Algae Grower

Gorgeous. Tickled to see you have the same tank Crazygar, this will absolutely serve as an inspiration!
Crazygar likes this.

post #19 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, if I could do one thing over it would have been the placement of the wood. I put it too far to the back and failed to consider the eventual size of the Blyxa, other than that, it's been a labor of love.

Great sized tank, took 2 years to get this far.

Gary

post #20 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Going to be a definitely Aquarists Sunday today.

I have a CAOAC Remote meeting at 11am, which is supposed to last until 1pm, then of course it's the Trim and pamper for Office Space II.

My goals today are the Hairgrass and Hygro. One of my Buce Plants is sending a massive amount of runners into the water column at the back of the tank. I plan to trim a few of these down and neaten it up a bit. Hopefully, not uprooting that one Blyxa plant that if even sneezing in it's general direction, will uproot.

The Shrimp have adjusted nicely and really started going after the patches of algae. While no tank is perfect and will have some sort of algae or another, they are doing a bang up job getting rid of the noticeable stuff at the front.

They really LOVE the Hairgrass/HC area. They tend to congregate in this area quite a bit. Unfortunately, to get head count, food is involved.

Put in some Brine Shrimp yesterday and the Shrimp were zipping into the water column to get some. They have the exact personality of Amano's and food. Greedy b-----ds, the lot of them.

Hygrophila pinnatifida is not the fastest growing Hygro. While I cut all the tops off and replanted, I was surprised at;

• How fast it transitions from big ugly leaves to small pinnate ones
  • How little I actually have after trimming
  • How little I actually have after replanting

Will need to continue with propagation of this plant at a slower rate than I previously thought. I was expecting to cover the rocks at the back with it, I'd be lucky to do that with the rock in the front of the tank.

Trimmed the wandering roots from my Buce at the back, yes, I uprooted two of the three Blyxa. Created a few new swear words replanting.

Hairgrass trims up nicely, it's just a pain to remove. I spend a good deal of time, just capturing errant pieces and there is still a few left in the tank. Though it does look much nicer, I think I need to create a Hairgrass Comb to speed up trimming and making it more even. I'll be a Barber to the Plants.

Started designing my dual output system. This way, I can remove the Powerhead and solely rely on the filter for water movement, CO2 distribution and of course, filtration.

The dual output will still have the "Violet" glass (or stainless steel deciding) output while the secondary will be Jet facing towards front right to spin the water around the tank and create movement. Which means upgrading to a much larger filtration unit. Eheim 2217 should be able to do all I need.

I can throttle back somewhat if I need to keep the flow from turning the Aquarium into the raging torrent of death.

Gary
Discusluv likes this.

post #21 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

How to Entice Shrimp for a Photo-Op:

Food.

Gary

post #22 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

A quick 48 minute session today. It was a simple trim and mainly clean task this weekend.
  • Trimmed the Staurogyne repens, started to plant some in the empty spots around the driftwood
  • Trimmed the HC mound to resemble more of a mound. It had a serious case of bed head
  • Cleaned the glass with both my little sponge and old debit card.
  • That is it

For the most part, things are moving along. I did check out the Blyxa today and it's starting to gain height again. Give it a couple of months and it'll be back to the Don King variety. Though I like the look of more space, I may keep it trimmed nice and short.

Most of the Shrimp are hiding in the back of the Aquarium during my maintenance sessions so getting a head count is difficult. Tomorrow, during feeding though, that will change.

I am heading to a Petsmart tomorrow evening. Been a while since I poked around a Chain Pet Store and need more "powdery" food for my Chili Rasboras.

Strangely, they prefer to nibble on Algae wafers than eat what is floating in the water column, which to the chagrin of the Shrimp.

Tank is very healthy, algae issues are minimal and nothing that the Shrimp are gladly helping me with. What is really thriving is the Buce. I can not believe how much its grown since I first received it.

Continuing to de-snail when the opportunity presents itself. I am making a dent in the population, the addition of the Shrimp has added to further decreasing the population.

Gary
doug105! likes this.

post #23 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

This weekend I am heading out to Lowe's to get components for the Dual Output system. I have a spare 7.9GAL (crazy, I know, spare tank, nothing in it) that I use for testing and placement as not to disturb the main tank.

I always design with maintenance in mind, so it will have a master shutoff as to ensure whenever I need to disconnect I am not sending water all over the place.

This also means ordering 1 Violet Pipe, 1 Jet Pipe, 1 Intake and an Eheim 2217. While I can easily remove the powerhead when I do my photoshoots, I believe this system is better as it reduces the amount of equipment.

The MacGyver work I did on the Powerhead is starting to undo itself so there is an urgency to tackle this task.

I will draw up a simple plan on how I will achieve this. With a larger filtration unit this should work perfect.

Gary

post #24 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've sitting watching/studying the tank yesterday evening and I have come to realization that I need at least 2 more pots of Hygrophila pinnatifida, as gauging its growth rate (there has been a noticeable increase in size and expansion) and how far away September is, I need to kick things into high gear a bit.

For the most part, the extra H.pinnatifida will go onto the rock directly and I plan to blend some in with the Buce. I think it will create a nice contrast.

Blyxa is finally rebounding from all the uprooting and replanting that has been done to it the last few weeks. Starting to see some growth and better coloration as well.

I believe I saw a baby Shrimplet today. Hiding out amongst the Buce (where most of the Shrimp have taken up residence). The real focus right now is the Hygro. I want to get that moving faster than what it currently is.

Gary

post #25 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Time change!

Lights on now at 2pm to 10pm. 2 hours ramp up starting at 2pm, 4 hrs full light from 4pm to 8pm, 2 hours ramp down ending at 10pm. Summer mode is officially here. Also, added 2% to the Red spectrum to really make those Crystal Red Shrimp colors really pop out.

Which means, maintenance now starts at 1:45pm.

Today's maintenance was only one hour.
  • Trimmed the Staurogyne repens. Replanted a few
  • Trimmed the large dead leaves of the H.pinnatifida (which were the last of the emersed growth)
  • Readjusted one of the rocks in the right corner of the tank underneath the intake
  • Target pruning of HC mound
  • Clean the glass
  • Perform the usual 50% water change

Did a small spot solder on the powerhead impeller, looks like a small hairline crack is forming again, at some point, it will go kaput. Hence my urgency to build the dual output system. Eheim 2213, 250, whatever...

Blyxa seems to be chugging along. It's been a few months of drastic changes and as I stated, it's grow out time. I'm beginning to enjoy my accidental center island.

Gary

post #26 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Really beautiful.
Great design and plant choices.
Crazygar likes this.

Amy
post #27 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Discusluv, i plan to start cutting pieces of Buce and trying to fill the entire piece of wood with it. Closing off some of those gaps.

This tank has become a labor of Love. In all my years of keeping glass boxes, this has to be my favorite.

Gary
Discusluv likes this.

post #28 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I awoke to the most bizarre event in a long time.

Strolled into my Office just a bit after 4am this morning and turned on all the computers. I happened to glance over at Office Space II and something long and white was stuck on the Powerhead intake (becoming a more common thing)

What the heck? As I started to move closer I noticed that the flow of the Powerhead was also greatly reduced. Figuring it was just a leaf (Stauro underneath is more pale) I went over to move it.

My heart just about stopped.

It was my last Zebra Otocinclus. Oh no! I had noticed it wasn't as active as it usually was the last few weeks, so I was assuming it's geriatric and it's finally succumbed to old age.

The tail was stuck INSIDE the Powerhead intake. I decided to use my long tweezers to move the body out into the garbage. As I grabbed it, the Oto shot off, bounced off the glass on the other side of the tank and disappeared into the Blyxa behind the wood.

Scared the hell out of me. It was literally dangling in space with it's tail stuck in the Powerhead and it's still alive.

When the lights came on today, it had a large mark on top of his head. I going to wager the fish is living on borrowed time. All I can do is make it comfortable and watch. It's been on one piece of wood for a good portion of the day. Not long now.

I fully expect to find the body tomorrow.

I also lost the largest of the Crystal Red Shrimp today. It too was sitting motionless, but on a Buce leaf. I decided to move it a bit with the tweezers and it simply fell over into and under the Driftwood. Dang, what is going on.

The water felt warm, did a temperature check and it was reading 80F, I usually keep it at 76F. Also, the Powerhead has reduced output and the intake was "clear". I disconnected the power and scraped the inlet. As usual a metric ton of little snails came pouring out... into the garbage. Replaced the unit, turned it on and boom, flow.

Darn snails! It's the little ones that are causing all the damage. Temperature dropped back down to 76F in about an hour after the flow returned to normal.

It's been a weird day for the Aquarium today. Some of the smaller CRS are out about and most are feeding on the remains of the larger one that died.

Gary

post #29 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 03:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Blyxa Bashing - Feb 16th, 2020

As I stated, my goal today was add more substrate to the back of the tank and replant the Blyxa. What I discovered was that giant mass of Blyxa at the back of my tank was one piece. It was a mother plant with untold daughter plants.

As I started to remove it (I had to in order to add more depth at the back) I realized four very important things:
  • While wonderful (I loved the look before it fell apart) it was literally hanging on by one root system
  • As I removed the daughter plants, I realized I had more than I was going to replant (that was the largest amount of Blyxa I've thrown away )
  • I'm going to have to switch into high gear if I want my "look" back for the AGA Contest in September
  • Free Blyxa cuttings will not be happening for quite some time
I have to say... I'm loving your tank so far, and reading through This, above made me cry inside a whole lot. I can't believe you threw that Blyxa away!!! Can't wait to see how things change as it grows back.
post #30 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I still mourn all that Blyxa as well. It was the perfect shape and coloration, unfortunately it started falling apart (the last few pics showed that) and well, time for a replant.

Yes I plan to grow it back out and return it to where it was before. Good news is, the remaining Blyxa is growing good and starting to show signs of spreading again.

Thanks, this tank has been one of my favorite Aquariums of all time. Now to build the dual output system to remove the powerhead (which is the ill of many of my troubles).

Gary

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode