• 5 Post By organic sideburns
  • 1 Post By organic sideburns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
125 gallon [Den of Ferns] 3/18 UPDATE

Hey fellow aquarium addicts. I've been wanting to set up a 125 gallon peaceful high tech community tank since I got into this hobby over 15 years ago. I finally bought a house and have the room and funds to fully dive into this project so here we go...

This 125 gallon hardscape took me roughly 4 months and at least five different layouts until I came up with this. Definitely spent over $300 on spider wood but it was well worth it. Going for a mini city like set up with tons of crevices and bridges and lots of different small fishes and inverts. Will be using a variety of ferns, Anubias, mosses, as well as a few tiger lotus, hydrocotyle tripartita, some wisteria and some kind of red stems in the back.

Filtration will be a fluval fx4 and a fluval 407. Lighting is 2 fluval 3.0ís. I will also be using co2 pumped through the fluval 407 and a NilocG Reactor. I'll be light dosing thrive all in one fertilizer. Will post photos when planted!

So Iíd love to hear your thoughts on this hardscape. Iíve tweaked it a lot and Iím happy with it but always willing to improve it.

[

Discusluv and Squisher like this.

Last edited by organic sideburns; 03-18-2020 at 04:12 PM. Reason: new title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think that looks good. If those are two different type of stones, I would cover the lighter ones near the substrate with moss. They would look against the sand. Two different stone types usually don't work well together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I think that looks good. If those are two different type of stones, I would cover the lighter ones near the substrate with moss. They would look against the sand. Two different stone types usually don't work well together.
They are all just river rocks I got from a landscaping store. I do plan to cover some in moss and ferns and Anubias though.

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update! Added plants last night. Would love some feedback!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70C87D79-73C4-43C7-A163-C3C8B5999BE6_1581565332308.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	893351  

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice.

Last edited by Streetwise; 02-13-2020 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Edit
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That will be very interesting once it grows in a bit. looks good now but will enjoy seeing how it comes along after all those plants take off.

Have a feeling the critters are going to like that tank.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 07:09 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic sideburns View Post
Update! Added plants last night. Would love some feedback!

Looks good you can watch the fish swim between each island like birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hereís an update if anyone is interested... I would really love to get this journal going. Any feedback is appreciated.

https://imgur.com/gallery/OvSvmkX

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B48B9AD0-45AE-43C1-8C41-EA851528482E_1584542433644.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	895003  

Last edited by organic sideburns; 03-18-2020 at 04:15 PM. Reason: new pic
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
That's a cool pic with the tank reflecting off the glass coffee table. I like the little bridge you put between islands 2 and 3. Ties together nicely

What's the livestock plan?

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Its looking pretty nice. How are the plants growing? Any issues so far? Hard to tell, but have you added fish yet? What are you thinking for stocking?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
That's a cool pic with the tank reflecting off the glass coffee table. I like the little bridge you put between islands 2 and 3. Ties together nicely

What's the livestock plan?
Thanks! I think the bridge really pulls it all together. It's a great piece of dragon wood. The livestock plan is 80-100 small peaceful fish. So far the tank has 7 fancy and spoiled guppies and 10 goldband yellow shrimp. I have 6 cherry bars, 4 threadfin rainbows, 6 galaxy rasboras, and 2 black tiger darios in my quarantine tank. I also plan to add 8 lemon tetras, 12 pygmy cories, a few peacock grudgeons, and then the rest will be whatever comes to mind. The dario's are not eating my frozen black worm/brine shirmp even when I placed it at the bottom of their "cave" they have taken refuge in. Worried about them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Its looking pretty nice. How are the plants growing? Any issues so far? Hard to tell, but have you added fish yet? What are you thinking for stocking?
the plants are algae free and good color but the rotala stems in the back are super slow growing. Like, one inch per week if that. It must be my fluval 3.0 lights because I have 1 ph drop with my co2 and I am using 20 pumps of Thrive ferts per week. The lights are at 65% power right now but its proving to not be strong enough for the stems. I am going to increase the power and time from 7 hours to 8 hours. Also, any suggestions on a 72 inch cheap light I can put at the front of the tank simply to illuminate the hardscape better? The fluval has a bad spread and I have them at the back of the tank for the stems. The livestock plans are posted above this reply.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update! The tank is thriving, java plantlets everywhere!! Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/gallery/F2uJXSi

https://imgur.com/2vDhbZb
Discusluv likes this.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic sideburns View Post
Update! The tank is thriving, java plantlets everywhere!! Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/gallery/F2uJXSi

https://imgur.com/2vDhbZb
Looks amazing.

Amy
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 08:57 PM
Planted Member

Gonna be honest, I was not expecting it to look that good with the super busy spider wood in there, but now that the plants have filled in it's looking great! If I was going to make a suggestion I'd say trim the stems between the islands on the left side so you can see the space between the islands.

To get better spread on the Fluval 3.0 I just got some small spring clamps and clamped them on the side of the tank to raise the light, then turned up the power. You would think Fluval would improve on their design and at least offer some way to hang or raise their lights. I've since switched to the Chihiros WRGB so I wouldn't have to deal with it any more.

An inch per week seems like pretty fast growth to me! Most likely you're light limited but adding a lot more could potentially open up the plants and driftwood at the top of the scape to some algae issues. Pick your poison-- I recently added more light on one of my tanks and the colors are better but there is definitely more algae to deal with.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree, since it has grown in, it's a spectacular tank, well done. I was a little hesitant on the "busy-ness" of all that Spiderwood on the initial layout.

Some spot trimming and you should be golden. You've done a good job, even hiding the intake/outtake of the Fluval has been thought about. Personally, large tanks seem to benefit from sump systems, but it's already a bit too late (just saw this thread this morning) that. If you ever happen to do another large tank, go sump, you will definately be pleased.

Good work! Looking forward to future updates.

Gary

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode