My new 29 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My new 29 gallon

Hello all here is my 29 gallon biocube. I have about a inch and a half of miracle grow natural and organic soil, three quarter of a inch play sand cap and about a inch and a half of aquarium gravel in various sizes. Using the stock pump for water flow and a intank media basket with filter floss as filtration. Got it wet today will still be adding larger rocks and wood for decoration. Then plants and fish down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8506AB22-BE91-4936-B0BF-42DA367DB7CC_1580477011594.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	892641  

Name:	DD81DA78-AB6A-46E4-A571-05363DB0B6F8_1580477048006.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	890.9 KB
ID:	892643  

Name:	03FE499E-C65B-4959-B924-EC3BAC580AB4_1580477075535.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	892645  

Name:	267A71C4-002C-409E-B6DD-DE17F4E0622B_1580477089196.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	892647  

Name:	07ED642C-D901-40FA-BC86-3E695D6B1F90_1580477105056.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	949.8 KB
ID:	892649  

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think your cap is much deeper than you want. I would recommend removing about half of that gravel since you are also using sand.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I think your cap is much deeper than you want. I would recommend removing about half of that gravel since you are also using sand.

Hey thanks cause I’m new I have to ask is it goin got hurt anything being deeper ?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebad395 View Post
Quote:

Hey thanks cause I’m new I have to ask is it goin got hurt anything being deeper ?
Yes and no. A deep substrate bed like that can lead to anaerobic bacteria as well as hamper plant root growth as it takes longer to reach the "good stuff".

I don't know if this would happen in your aquarium but often times when there is a lot of substrate, mainly sand, it can compact and make it so roots cannot easily penetrate as well as kill the roots already there.

I would agree with streetwise and remove a nice bit of that gravel.

At least I can grow Algae
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys thanks for the advice I’m going to be removing a bit of it tomorrow I bought a few rocks and plants what do you think. Hrmm says I exceeded my quota for files. Can’t post a picture
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You need just enough cap to plant cleanly, and no more. You want your water movement to get a bit into the substrate. The other reason for a minimal cap is to let mulm and fish waste rejoin the substrate to keep it going.

I don’t even vacuum my substrate after the first month, where you might make a mess.

When you plant, twist your forceps on the way in and the way out so you don’t stir too much.

For photos, I recommend Flickr or Google Photos. Check the photography forum for tips on embedding. I have a thread with Flickr advice.

I think you are making a good foundation for a healthy tank!

Cheers

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
You need just enough cap to plant cleanly, and no more. You want your water movement to get a bit into the substrate. The other reason for a minimal cap is to let mulm and fish waste rejoin the substrate to keep it going.

I don’t even vacuum my substrate after the first month, where you might make a mess.

When you plant, twist your forceps on the way in and the way out so you don’t stir too much.

For photos, I recommend Flickr or Google Photos. Check the photography forum for tips on embedding. I have a thread with Flickr advice.

I think you are making a good foundation for a healthy tank!

Cheers
Thanks a lot streetwise I really appreciate you taking the time anything else I should know ?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Keep posting and asking questions! I am only 18 months ahead of you, so I’ve made the same mistakes first.

I would say be careful of using big stones in a dirt tank for anaerobic reasons. Get a nice piece or two of Mopani wood for your hardscape, and position it so it blocks the least amount of substrate. You can then use it to anchor moss and epiphytes, and provide hiding places for shrimp.

I can’t scroll back while replying, but I love Fluval lights if you are still shopping.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Another Fan of the fluval light.I have 2 of them on dirted tanks,almost no algae,plants grow very well.

here's my 75 journal:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...75-gallon.html

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I’m using my ai prime hd just set to natural light spectrum or close to it and I’m definitely going to keep posting and asking questions. Also will be checking that 75 gallon journal out thanks guys
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last edited by Gonebad395; 02-01-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Add
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Doh. I just noticed the photo link I referenced includes some marketing code. I will edit my post. Please edit your post too.

Chop out extra code and include a Reason for Editing.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 02-01-2020 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Edit
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok how lol
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok trying to figure is out lol
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 07:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hit edit on post 11. Chop out all code except for the main IMG section with brackets.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode