Cluelessí 8.7 Bow Front - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cluelessí 8.7 Bow Front

Hey all, just getting back into the hobby after a four year hiatus. I thought I was going to start with a pico vase but instead decided to set up my old Aquatop bow front. The loose plan is for this scape to evolve and move into my 60p once I have built the stand and perfected that particular build. Not sure when that will be though.

I have been messing around with hard scape for the past week or two and this is what I have come up with. I think I am happy with it.

Iím almost done refinishing itís cabinet and then everything will be put together and it will get dirted and planted and begin cycling.

For livestock I am thinking chili rasboras and CPDs. Ive kept the chiliís and have always wanted CPDs. Maybe somewhere down the line I could try my hand at shrimp but.. one thing at a time

For plants, I go back and forth. If it will cooperate, I would like a lot of blyxa j. Like... a LOT. But Iíve had mixed results with it in the past.

Other plants, I am totally open to suggestions, I canít decide.

Hmm. Think thatís it for now.
If youíre curious about the equipment, using a Finnex FugeRay led light. Eheim 2213 canister filter with glass lily intake and outflow pipes. No heater at this time. I read that chiliís like it warmer so may be doing a hydro inline heater run off of a controller in the future. No co2 for now. Looking into paintball reg setups because I just wonít pay $300+ for a reg. But when I go co2 itíll probably be on the 60p.

Anywho.. until next time

CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 07:50 AM
Algae Grower

Hi CA,

Cool Rock!! merged plant on the top of the big rock?

i really like blyxa too never had the chance to grow it.

Plants:

-HOMALOMENA SP. SEKADAU SOUTH is interesting

-lagenandra meeboldii 'red' my favorite plant i'm currently growing that or Mini Pelia

-MYRIOPHYLLUM MATTOGROSSENSE 'RED'

-Pogostemon Helferi
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice hardscape. I really like your substrate mix, is that sand with bits of gravel on top?

Right now I am growing blyxa in sand with a root tab right under them and ThriveC once or twice a week with Flourish added every day or so inbetween. Light is an Asta 20 so probably giving the blyxa somewhere around 25 ppfd. Its growing really well for me right now, so much better then almost any other plant I have tried in my current setup.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Nice hardscape. I really like your substrate mix, is that sand with bits of gravel on top?

Right now I am growing blyxa in sand with a root tab right under them and ThriveC once or twice a week with Flourish added every day or so inbetween. Light is an Asta 20 so probably giving the blyxa somewhere around 25 ppfd. Its growing really well for me right now, so much better then almost any other plant I have tried in my current setup.

Great point regarding root tabs and ferts. I should get my hands on both. I have no idea of the output of the fugeray. (It is the clip-on model) I did some googling but couldnít find PAR data. I think itís considered medium light though.

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:33 AM
Algae Grower

I keep Blyxa in my 7.9 HiTech setup! Awesome plant, but miss a trim or two and you have a massive plant to deal with. If you go the Blyxa route, use that as your centerpiece plant.

Looking forward to watching this build progress.

Gary

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
I keep Blyxa in my 7.9 HiTech setup! Awesome plant, but miss a trim or two and you have a massive plant to deal with. If you go the Blyxa route, use that as your centerpiece plant.

Looking forward to watching this build progress.

Gary

I think for my initial planting I am going to exclusively plant blyxa. Youíve inspired me.

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

Hardscape is sweeeeet!

***Low*Tech*Aquarist***
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Algae Grower

LOL thanks @CluessAquarist;. I am looking at your hardscape though and wondering where you are going to plant it. Any updates?

Gary

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cluelessí 8.7 Bow Front

Quote:
LOL thanks @CluessAquarist;. I am looking at your hardscape though and wondering where you are going to plant it. Any updates?

Gary

I am wondering if Iím underestimating the size of the blyxa... ideally it would nestle all around the ďmountainĒ in its cracks and around the base. The left side would be primarily sand and few plants or small plants because I want to maintain that illusion of scale.

This tank is pretty small, especially with all that rock in there. If anyone has suggestions for plants that fit the scale, keep them coming!!!
And a big thanks to those who have already recommended plants!

I will probably order more plants than I need, since I have a second tank (dirted but not a scape) to stuff the excess in.

Edit: this is a primary reason why I want to transfer this scape into the 60p, the larger open space would maintain scale a lot better. But I have to build the stand for it first, and Iím a bit of a perfectionist, you know what itís like

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

Blyxa could work, you'd have to really maintain (trim) it once it starts to take off. Even in my tank 12 X 12 X 13 it requires weekly pruning to keep it in check.

Also I would adjust the aquascape and plant Blyxa in front of the large rock and behind the smaller ones. Essentially move the rocks to form a planter. That would work.

Gary

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Small update, dirted and filled tank to test my filter and get an idea if I will really enjoy the scape. So far my Eheim 2213 Iím using has considerably less flow than I remember but that could easily be due to my lily pipes restricting it or maybe itís clogged. I just donít see a filter of this size having issues with 8 gallons. Iíll be addressing that because I donít like the sluggish water. (I also have a 2217 reserved for the 60p build.... donít make me resort to strapping that bad mofo on this tank)..

I see what you mean by using that bowl-area as a planter and I like your idea a lot. I might have to suck all water out and adjust a little.

One valuable lesson I have learned for when I build my stand for the 60p: I am plumbing a few pvc lines in. Dealing with the Eheimís particularly situated in- and out- flow barbs.... it has been frustrating to aesthetically run the hoses in a simple, tailored way. With the 60p stand I will plumb pvc Pipe to replace those areas where the soft line simply canít make the bend.

Anyways just a little update for all of you who are interested. Til next time

Silly_Guppys likes this.

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Additional small update, flow has been greatly increased by using the original Eheim spray bar. This is a semi permanent solution as during the swap I broke my glass lily outflow... not the worst thing considering I need to buy one that provides more flow. I have to say, the surface agitation from the spray bar style outflow is really nice. Iím not sure the fish I plan to keep would be as appreciative of the cyclone as I am though.

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 11:26 AM
Algae Grower

I am running a 2211 on mine. Give it a good clean and redo your media.

Have you put in substrate supports in that raised area? If not, over time, it will flatten out. I use plastic strips placed into the ground to keep the substrate at bay.

Gary

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I am running a 2211 on mine. Give it a good clean and redo your media.

Have you put in substrate supports in that raised area? If not, over time, it will flatten out. I use plastic strips placed into the ground to keep the substrate at bay.

Gary

In addition to the outflow swap I pulled out the ďbattingĒ type filter media (final stage) and that helped flow a ton. I just donít need that polished of water right now.

I didnít use substrate supports, I piled the structure on gravel and also shores the sides with gravel/sand mix. I expect you may be very right about the scape turning to mush.... but then again itís good experience and I will probably rescape this before too awful long anyways.

In other news I picked up all the 2x4 I need to begin the build of 60p stand frame.

And I plan to buy a Catalina aquatics 50W titanium heater. I think my room is consistently too cold to get action out of chili rasboras and cpds.

All for now, plants are ordered and now itís time to wait. In the meantime, Iím gonna go cut some wood

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:29 AM
Algae Grower

It's a pain redoing the scape with Fish/Inverts in it. I lost a few Chili's that way. They are pretty sensitive to stuff like this. I would honestly figure out the scape before proceeding any further.

Looking forward to watching this little tank grow into it's own though, Nano's are a challenge, challenges are good.

Gary

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode