20 Gallon Long Just Started - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking 20 Gallon Long Just Started

I am very new to planted tanks so I hope I am doing this right!

I just got water in the tank about 1 hour ago so I am waiting for the clarity to clear. My plate for the back splash did not work out so great. I did wash out the substrate a little but I figure if the soil I got was high in nutrients, I shouldn't wash it out too much. I boiled my driftwood for about 3 hours and got most of the tannin out. I have used Prime and API quick start to get things rolling.

Being new substrate (Fluval and Flourite) should I put a dose of flourish in the tank or is the nutrients from the soil good enough? I've read on here that the soil really doesn't have much nutrients. At least that is what I think I have read.

I have a Current USA LED light that I recycled from my reef tank a few years back. How many hours should I be running the light? Is there a difference in running the white light alone rather than the white and blue it has on it? I like the day cycle on it where it automatically goes from just blue in the morning to white and blue mid-day and then back to blue at night. Is this okay to have?

Anyone have a good source for driftwood? Mine I got from amazon and it is kinda pathetic. Ideas for plants too please. I have dwarf grass, and monte carlo, and anubias for now. I am planning on getting neon tetras, cherry shrimp and cory cats. Can I get a recommended number for these animals for my tank. Also can I get snails or are they considered nuisance animals in planted tanks? Not too many options for LFS around here so I try to order online. Any reputable online stores you recommend?

I think that covers most of my questions for now. Thank you!

Last edited by RocksBucks; 02-03-2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Title was misleading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its been about 24 hours now from me adding water. My tank is still not clear. Any recommends on a water clarity chemical?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:43 AM
Algae Grower

new tank, woohoo!

Hi Rocksbuck,

I'll try and help

Took about 40 hours for my 15 gallon to clear up same substrate and all. So just wait it'll become clear.. probably as you read this.

I'd dose the flourish, snails are fine for the most part, depends on which ones. 20L is like 6 gallons... corys and neons most definitely need more space.

Yeah 6500-8000k white light can grow plants, 7500k being best i think. What your saying about the light cycle, should be fine. Just keep an eye on your plants

Hopefully i'm allowed to post dot coms any way aquabid, ebay, aquariumplants or and azgardens .com all have had success with.

as far as plants - nano being the best... will make your tank more dynamic and appearance of space is always cool to look at.

Cryptocoryne Parva is neat or like some variant of moss or Staurogyne Repens and umm Dwarf Baby Tears

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower

First welcome to the planted tank forum, and seeing you are hear you are headed in the right direction. This forum has people with a lot of knowledge and willing to help. It always helps to give has much info about your tank when asking question, also we love pictures no matter what you think they look like. We all started with an empty tank and expecting it to look like some of the tanks on this forum. (Dreams)

Second, coming from the reef side you should have some knowledge about cycling a tank and testing water parameters, itís no different with freshwater, just different test.

Third, driftwood comes in all different kinds and some will give off more tannins than others. You can always search the forum for more info on driftwood.

Forth, your reef light is most likely not the right spectrum for plants and may grow algae better, not what you want. But keep it on a short duration to start with and if you can lower the output percentage, I would do that also. Again there are people on this forum with better understanding of light than me, so keep reading.

Fifth, keep with low light plants at first, crypts and anubias. Your plants should be good, but you will need to start testing the water if you havenít already started, remember you need to cycle your tank before adding fish. I believe you can add snail also if the ammonia is very low. For shrimp I would wait a couple months and let the tank develop its bio-film for the shrimp to eat, I know waiting is hard, but it is better than killing shrimp. Also it is easier to start with an all in one fert for dosing, but start dosing less than what is recommended.

Just keep reading (I think I said that a couple times) on this forum and learning as you go. The biggest thing that I have learned and read is patients. Roma wasnít built in a day. Enjoy the ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 07:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Does 20L = 20g long or 20 liters?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Whoops

Thank you all for the information given. It will be taken into consideration. I also can see there is some miscommunication on my end. My tank is a 20 Gallon long. Sorry for the confusion. I am going to try to upload pictures of it now so you can look at what I am doing wrong. On anubias can I trim the roots of the plant to make it look better? I am also looking to get new driftwood so dont judge too bad. Thanks again to all who responded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1080.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	892441  

Name:	IMG-1081.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	892443  

Name:	IMG-1082.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	892445  

Silly_Guppys likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:18 AM
Algae Grower

The tank is still a little clouded, you may be able to add some floss to your filter to help catch the small partials and help clear it up. Do a search on aquarium filter floss. I would also try doing a 50% water change to see if that helps the cloudy water.

Your light doesn't look like it is reaching the sides of the tank, you may be able to raise it to get a better spread.

The anubias roots I only trim the ones that don't look healthy. You can try repositioning them on the driftwood to see if that helps. They do look ugly sometimes.

The plants look good, you will need to give the tank sometime to adjust, try not to do to much changing at once. Update us on your water parameters, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates when you can.
RocksBucks likes this.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What kind of filtration are you running?

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a Aqueon 30 HOB. I am about to put some filter floss inside of it.

How does everyone feel about having Carbon in the filter? Yes or No?

I have made some changes to the tank after a visit to the not so local fish store. (pics to come)

I have flourish to get the micro nutrients to the plants but I have read that there is a better all around fertilizer. Any recommendations?

I bought a new water test kit so those parameters probably gonna be up tomorrow.

And lastly I am thinking about buying a new light. I am interested in the Finnex light but unsure of which one to get. Anyone got a link for it to Amazon? Tank is 30in wide.

Again thank y'all for the advice. Its coming in handy!
lamyers3 likes this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:58 AM
Algae Grower

I don't use carbon, never have maybe if the tank goes upside down i'd consider it.

i used to mix my own ferts now i'm using flourish no complaints on my end so far. i'd be curious to what others use as well i'm a little rusty when it comes to the chemistry aspect.

Also i use Excel for co2 i have no room for a canister or i'd look into buying one.

DIY co2 and the mini bottles are a waste if you ask me!

Look forward to the update and water testing!

i'm looking at NICREW lighting or Beamworks $30 LED i've noticed a lot of people here like Beamworks i'm looking into starting another tank maybe 20 long or 40 breeder

https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Classi...s%2C357&sr=8-4
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocksBucks View Post
Its been about 24 hours now from me adding water. My tank is still not clear. Any recommends on a water clarity chemical?
IMO I would do a 1/3 water change since the 60p I just set up had the same issue and I did a water change before bedtime. I woke up to a clear tank. Also, would suggest a bigger and better filtration system. No chemicals needed, just lots of patience. Good luck.

FACT: If you do not have a passion for what you do in life, be it your career and/or your hobby you will not be successful. RIP Dad (1/12/12). I love and miss you.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I didn’t get around to testing parameters today but here are a few photos of the new stuff I got. I’m getting a new light to go the entire span of the top so that will be next. If water isn’t clear by tomorrow I am getting a new filter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4806C255-CD67-4841-A422-F0B966F3E776_1580358621202.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	892595  

Name:	D12AA49A-D71B-422B-93EE-D72202A9569B_1580358699262.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	892599  

Name:	75060F04-D7F5-472C-8BAB-EDEEB2AB9787_1580358756188.jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	892603  

Streetwise likes this.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Be patient. No changes for one month. Welcome to planted tanks.
ustabefast and lamyers3 like this.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As far as numbers for stocking, if you stick with just the 2 species you mentioned (neons and cories) you could easily have 12-15 neons. Take a look at green neon tetras as an alternative to regular neons. I think they're a really prettier fish and just slightly smaller.

Depending on the cory you choose numbers might vary a bit. If it's larger like a sterbai cory, I would stick to 5-6. Something smaller like a panda cory, maybe 7-8. You could also consider the dwarf habrosus cory in which case I think you could add 9-10. Again, considering the only other fish are the neon or green neon tetras.

The only snail I would add would be a nerite snail - but that's just my preference. I hate all other snails except my assassins which I've kept to rid my tanks of pest snails. Others have varying opinions on snails.

For on-line sellers, I've had great luck with AquaticArts. I have a great LFS so I don't do too much on-line buying of live stock - the shipping can be quite high. But what I have bought from this seller was received in great condition, packed well, and if you should need customer service they are wonderful to deal with - no hassle. (They once shipped me the incorrect species of endlers, and sent me the correct species within a few days.)

I've bought from Rachel O'Leary (Msjinkzd) in the past, also with great stock and customer service. She stopped shipping for a while, though, and I'm not sure if she is doing too much of that now. You could email her to find out.

Last edited by SueD; 01-30-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: addition
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What is this? I have this white fungus growing from my driftwood. Is it plant safe? What can I do to stop it? It’s all over the driftwood and just started on the tip of one of my Val tips.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6F13DB53-416D-4D05-8B24-0DDB84009ED8_1580496675915.jpg
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	892675  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode