10g Home Office Setup - The Planted Tank Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10g Home Office Setup

This will be my first tank in a little over a year. My previous planted tank was more of an algae farm and ended abruptly when my HOB failed and flooded my living room. Im downsizing now and putting together a desktop tank for my home office where I spend most of my day. Im aiming for more of a low-medium tech to start and then see where it goes based on the success and upkeep.

Tank: Waterbox Clear 10g
Light: Chihiros wRGB w/ controller
Filter: Fluval 107 canister w/ Jardli lily pipes
Heater: 75w Neo-Therm for now. Id like an inline but have read mixed reviews.

Substrate: ADA Amazonia
Plants: Buce, S Repen, Hairgrass, Rotala, Monte Carlo, Anubias
Fish: Still deciding between a single exotic betta or something like a school of tetras. I want to plant dense so a nice vibrant color pop would be nice.
Fert: Aquarium Co-op easy green

Here's the hardware in its tentative spot. Id really like to hang the light from the bookshelf with a cable kit. Getting rid of the legs would make for such a clean look on this tank.

Blue Ridge Reef and burr740 like this.

Last edited by dan0788; 01-21-2020 at 10:40 PM. Reason: picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I picked up some hardscape material over the weekend and have been soaking it for ~24 hours. This was as of this morning - its easily doubled in darkness since.

Plants are ordered and should be here by the end of the week:
6x Monte Carlo
6x S repens
2x Black Pearl Puce
4x Hairgrass
4x Anubais Petitie
4x Rotala Macrandra
4x Rotala Indica
1x Nesaea Golden

Hopefully that should be enough to plant pretty densely from the start for a 10gal.

Im going to frost the rear and right panels of the tank tonight and maybe start playing around with the hardscape layout.
burr740 and fpn like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got the back and right panels of the tank frosted tonight and started playing with the hardscape. This is what I ended up with.

Head on:

Main angle from my chair:

Planting thoughts: not shown - Anubias on wood and hairgrass up against the rocks

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants will be here tomorrow so the tank should be flooded by tomorrow night. This is my first time purchasing plants outside of Petco tubes, let alone $150 worth, so I'm a little nervous about killing them. I've read lot of conflicting advice but Im planning on following ADA's loose guidelines.

50% Water changes:
Week 1 - every day
Week 2 - every other day
Week 3 - everything third day
Week 4 - once a week

Lighting:
Im thinking 55% intensity for 6 hours with a 1 hour ramp for the first few weeks. So 4 full hours at 55%. Any advice on this would be really helpful!

Fert:
I picked up the Easy Green because I read the Amazonia should cover everything in the beginning except K and some micros. Should I be dosing this if I'm doing water changes every day? How long does it need to be in the water column in order to be absorbed and not wasted.

Should I be dosing any liquid co2 in the beginning?

Last edited by dan0788; 01-22-2020 at 03:44 PM. Reason: ?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 03:46 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
Oooh, setups like this are the best. I really, really love having tanks in my workspace and think you're going to love it.

ADA's advice on water changes is usually pretty solid. But, if you want to get down to nuts and bolts, it's not always necessary to change water as frequently as they suggest. If you want to test and monitor ammonia levels, you wouldn't really need to do changes until the concentration released is higher than 4-5PPM. Sometimes after the first week you won't have to do every other day changes. I've been able to get away with weekly changes on a few occasions. Just depends upon the batch.

Your lighting plan sounds solid. The only way to really know what works is to give it a shot and adjust if you notice growth issues or struggle with anything beyond trivial algae that comes with every startup.

For fish - have you considered any other 'micro' species? Ricefish, Guppies, Endlers, Boraras (Rasbora)? You'd be able to have more of them in a 10gal than you would just about any type of Tetra. Lots of color options and interesting patterns of behavior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Oooh, setups like this are the best. I really, really love having tanks in my workspace and think you're going to love it.

ADA's advice on water changes is usually pretty solid. But, if you want to get down to nuts and bolts, it's not always necessary to change water as frequently as they suggest. If you want to test and monitor ammonia levels, you wouldn't really need to do changes until the concentration released is higher than 4-5PPM. Sometimes after the first week you won't have to do every other day changes. I've been able to get away with weekly changes on a few occasions. Just depends upon the batch.

Your lighting plan sounds solid. The only way to really know what works is to give it a shot and adjust if you notice growth issues or struggle with anything beyond trivial algae that comes with every startup.

For fish - have you considered any other 'micro' species? Ricefish, Guppies, Endlers, Boraras (Rasbora)? You'd be able to have more of them in a 10gal than you would just about any type of Tetra. Lots of color options and interesting patterns of behavior.
Thanks for the feedback! Im sure i'll be over the WC's after a few days so i'll keep an eye on the levels and see how the tank is responding. Im just worried from reading stories of tank fulls of plants melting after a few days. Im thinking of dosing excel from the start as well. Rather than worrying about co2 down the road I think dosing this daily with excel would be beneficial. Is there any advantage/disadvantage of doing this from the start?

I need to do some more research on fish. I have a limited selection close to me but realize that there are so many awesome species that are available. I really like the look of dumbo guppies but don't want to deal with the potential offspring. My last tank had a school of harlequin rasboras so i'd probably want to do something different. The endlers look super cool!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 06:10 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0788 View Post

I need to do some more research on fish. I have a limited selection close to me but realize that there are so many awesome species that are available. I really like the look of dumbo guppies but don't want to deal with the potential offspring. My last tank had a school of harlequin rasboras so i'd probably want to do something different. The endlers look super cool!

Might be worth it to ask your local store about pricing for special orders. Most will have access to tons of stock that isn't regularly seen in stores, you'll just have to schedule picking them up on delivery day. I'd endeavor to buy them in the bag, rather than let the shop acclimate them to their water.

Two thoughts on guppies. First, find tank bred US fish and avoid imported specimens. And if you don't want babies, just order a group of males. If there's an aquarium club local to you, most breeders would rather have a high female ratio anyway so there's not quite the premium on the colorful males there can be in a shop.
Thelongsnail likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
A group of male endlers would be a great choice and you can either go with one color variant for a more monochrome look (my personal preference) or several color variants cuz you just can't decide on one They're all beautiful IMO. I do have both males and females (overrun at the moment) and they're not shy at all, always swarming to the front of the tank as I approach.

You could also then add a small school (6-7) of one of the dwarf cories. My preference would be Cory Habrosus, which act more like their larger cory cousins and stay along the bottom of the tank. Hastatus is another favorite and you might find them swimming mid tank as well as lower in the tank. Personally, I've never had luck with the 3rd dwarf - cory pygmaeus - although many have and these will swim at different levels throughout the tank.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 12:00 AM

The tank is going to look amazing! I love the hardscape! A group of Endlers would look great, and I think there would be multiple options for stocking. One of my personal favorites would be a small group of Pea Puffers(Carinotetraodon travancoricus). I think that you would love 1-2 Puffers in the tank. They have lots of personality and would be fun to watch at your desk. You should research them as a possible stocking choice. Although, a wild betta(I like Betta Imbellis) or other rare betta would also look amazing! Great tank!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got the tank planted and flooded last night. It was my first real "planting" and I struggled a little bit with the aquasoil so it's not the prettiest at the moment. Everything just looks a little...straggly...so hopefully it fills in nicely with time. It is weird that I liked it better without the plants lol

The Monte Carlo I got was noticeably longer than most I've seen in any videos or tutorials. I got a good amount in the soil but should this pose any issues? Should I be trying to get any of the longer stems down into the soil? Im pretty sure one of the batches of MC (used in the back left corner) was grown immersed and is already looking very pale yellow and showing some melting. Hopefully that can bounce back in time.

Between the tubing and the suction cups my lily pipes weren't staying in place so I had to order some adapters that should be here today. I was forced to use the stock fluval parts for the time being.

What water temp should I be aiming for at this point? Is mid 70's okay?

12 hours in and the ammonia is 1ppm.

burr740 likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:33 PM

Nice tank! I love having one in my office. Be careful that your water level doesn't go below the line marked on your Aqueon Pro heater - looks pretty close as-is.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pipes are in with the new adapters and first WC is done. Looking MUCH better....now just need to figure something out about that ugly heater!

Blue Ridge Reef, burr740 and evil8 like this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Everything seems to be doing pretty happy aside from what I'm calling my "dead corner." This is the patch of MC that was grown emersed so its been shedding and melting pretty quickly. Anything I should be doing with this or just let it take its course?

The rotala to the left is shedding as well but the good leafs are starting to brighten up.

Blue Ridge Reef and burr740 like this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 week update!
So I'm officially 7 days and 7 water changes in. Everything seems to be looking good and zero signs of algae. Some of the plants actually came with some hair algae and that has all died back over the past few days. Ill be doing WC's every other day for the next week.

The back left of the tank had some emersed MC and some Rotala that was in bad shape. Most of that has either shed or melted away. The remaining Rotala stems all have really nice new growth on top which I'll probably trim and replant this week. The other Rotala on the right is already growing fast - lots of runners from the stems and the leaves are all enlarging nicely. To my surprise the MC seems to be the happiest. It's constantly pearling and the new growth and coverage is super noticeable when comparing the two pictures.

Blue Ridge Reef, burr740 and evil8 like this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (125/100%)
Nice tank! Great location for it too. That's pretty impressive growth for the first week. Love that time lapse gif in the last post

My personal routine with new aquasoil is 2x week 60-70% water changes for the first 3-4 weeks and then go to 1x week. But I'd just keep doing what you're doing since things are going so well.
Blue Ridge Reef and dan0788 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode