These Hills and Valleys - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
These Hills and Valleys

Havenít posted a journal in years but this is one tank I really wish to chronicle this one as itís going to be inside my home (with the blessing of the wife). Itís gonna be a mix of styles, Dutch-ish due to my collectoris and my familyís need for colour. Iím from Barbados and most hard scape materials and equipment is hard or really expensive to acquire. That said, I will substitute with locally sourced stuff when I have the option. Also of note is that the title of the tank is a line from our national anthem.

Tanks Specifics:

Tank - 40Ēx18Ēx18Ē ~ 50g.
Lighting - Finnex 24/7 Planted plus 36Ē (x2)
Filter - Cascade 700 canister filter, media trays modded
Substrate - Local gravel (affectionately dubbed BDA, small layer of potting mix, clay and osmocote slow-release fertilizer)
CO2 - pressurized (right now I will use a diffuser but that may change)
Fauna - no clue
Flora - also no clue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Next step was to come up with an aquascape that I liked.

Attempt 1

While it was kool, it was lacking something. I just did not love it. So I spoke to some friends and got some feedback.

Attempt 2 - just tweaking the original scape

Hated it so much that I tore it down immediately.

Complete rework and final-ish scape (I tweaked it since these pics)

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great start! Looking forward to following your progress.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

These Hills and Valleys

Thanks man. I will post updates as I move forward. Gonna start to cannibalize my other tanks to start adding plants over the course of this week.
Discusluv likes this.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt turbo View Post
Thanks. I will post updates as I move forward.
Corrected that for you.

Good start, looking forward to seeing it.

Jason

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Corrected that for you.

Good start, looking forward to seeing it.

Jason

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So CO2 diffusion. This is the tale of how I lost 3 hours on Saturday.

In most of my other tank I use in tank diffusers which is pretty much the worst dissolution method there is, so I wanted to upgrade and be more efficient. Like most aquarists and aquascapers, we buy supplies and pieces of equipment to try. A few years ago I had come into possession of a CO2 atomizer.

Although I had already set up the canister filter and filled up the tank I decided to try to hook it up, so after some maneuvering and scratched knuckles I finally got it fitted. Yay!! As water slowly permeated the membrane I got increasingly excited to see it in action. Would there be complete dissolution or would I get the fine mist Iíve heard of? More excitement. While it was filling I was busy setting up the pressurized co2. All set, plugged in to my smart plug and powered up, then I saw it. The aquarist worst nightmare.

A tiny water droplets drip off the atomizer. Well maybe itís not that big a deal cause a hose may just need tightening. I turn the co2 on and watch with growing despair as the droplet becomes a stream. I adjust the hoses for a tighter seal. The stream continues until all the water is out of the atomizer and then I hear it, a tell tale hiss of co2 escaping along with my hopes and dreams.

Now the sinking realization hits that I have cut out a section of the tubing to fit the atomizer, I have to stop the filter and stop the outflow from siphoning all the water back into the stand and onto the floor. This would all be very easy except that the tank and stand are basically flush with the wall and I have less than 2Ē to work with and the tank is full (water testing) and therefore immovable without draining. I want to scream but that will wake the sleeping baby, and incur the wrath of the wife, a fate worse than death. After relooking the situation and questioning many other life decisions, I went and found another piece of tubing for a Sun Sun filter that I discarded but kept the bits and bobs. Fought with it for another half an hour, left more skin on the walls before I got it sorted.

The atomizer is still there for the moment, as I was thinking on how I can fix it but Iím unsure cause Iím worried that the pressure of the CO2 will cause it to leak again and I really donít want to have that happen especially while Iím not home.

The offending atomizer.

Area marked is where the leak appears to be coming from.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I want to scream but that will wake the sleeping baby, and incur the wrath of the wife, a fate worse than death.
Dude, we are thousands of miles away but at the same time we are basically living the same life ;P

Try putting some teflon tape (also called plumbers tape) on the threaded sections you suspect are leaking. It doesn't take much, 2 wraps all the way around and if that's where the leaking is coming from then this should solve the problem while still allowing you to take it apart if you need to at some point down the line.
gt turbo likes this.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Try putting some teflon tape (also called plumbers tape) on the threaded sections you suspect are leaking. It doesn't take much, 2 wraps all the way around and if that's where the leaking is coming from then this should solve the problem while still allowing you to take it apart if you need to at some point down the line.

I guess the pic is a bit misleading but itís not leaking from the threads, itís actually leaking from the plastic around the bottom of where the threads started so right in the joint. I donít think Teflon tape will help.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I guess the pic is a bit misleading but itís not leaking from the threads, itís actually leaking from the plastic around the bottom of where the threads started so right in the joint. I donít think Teflon tape will help.

Ah, no it wont. You either need to replace it entirely with a similar item or build a reactor. My vote is for the latter, look up rex griggs reactors for a cheap and effective means of dissolving co2.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:24 AM
Planted Member

Following.

I've got a similarly sized tank (Craigslist find) that's probably 3-6 months away from setting up (still working on my 75g) I haven't decided what I want to do with it. Always looking for good ideas.

As far as the CO2 issue. You may want to go with a reactor. That's what I did with the 75g and I plumbed it low so that the heated water with the CO2 rises, hopefully dispersing the CO2 more evenly in the tank.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Ah, no it wont. You either need to replace it entirely with a similar item or build a reactor. My vote is for the latter, look up rex griggs reactors for a cheap and effective means of dissolving co2.

Well I replaced it altogether, the new one is in the mail. Weíll see how it works when it comes. I have experience with reactors so if push comes to shove Iíll go that route.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Following.

I've got a similarly sized tank (Craigslist find) that's probably 3-6 months away from setting up (still working on my 75g) I haven't decided what I want to do with it. Always looking for good ideas.

As far as the CO2 issue. You may want to go with a reactor. That's what I did with the 75g and I plumbed it low so that the heated water with the CO2 rises, hopefully dispersing the CO2 more evenly in the tank.

My tank and stand are second hand as well from one of my closest friends though so Iím really appreciative of it.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok so I planted it with trimmings from my other tanks.Had to wait a day or two for the cloudiness to settle down but here is the list.

Ludwigia Natans Super Red
Rotala Bonsai
Alternanthera Reineckii mini
Proserpinaca palustris
Cryptocoryne Mioya
Cryptocoryne Green Gecko
Cabomba Caroliniana
Lobelia Cardinalis
Pogostemon Helferi
Eriocaulon ďVietnamĒ
Echinodorus Aflame Purple Knight
Blyxa Japonica
Anubias Nana Petite
Vesicularia Moutageni - Xmas moss

Blue Ridge Reef and andieg3 like this.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

Looking good! Can't wait to see how all the plants fill in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode