32gallon Aquascape - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Ningendou

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
To anyone interested in reading:

New to this forum and figured i should start a tank journal. Also, a good way for me to keep track of my tank.

Tank specs:
-32gallon tank
-5lbs co2 with regulator & bubble counter, running at about 2-3bps, attached to atomic diffuser
-Finnex planted+ 24/7 HLC, running on 6hour photoperiod.
-Tank has manzanita wood & Seiryu stone
-Layered with ada power sand basic S and power sand advanced & ada amazonia soil.

Filter:
-Eheim pro 3
-Eheim subtratPRO
-Eheim bioMech PRO
-Eheim fine and coarse filter sponge

Plants:
-HC
-Monte Carlo
-S.repens
-Alternanthera Reineckii Rosanervig
-Cryptocoryne Wendtii ‘Pink Panther’
-Anubias Nana Petite
-Hygrophila Pinafitida
-Hydrocotyle Tripartita
-Fissiden Fontanus
-Christmas moss
-Rotala Macandra
-Rotala Macandra ‘Green’
-Rotala H’ra
-Cyperus Helferi

Livestock:
3 Amano Shrimp (had 6, but 3 decided to be adventurous)
3 Otocinclus (4 originally, but 1 may have died. Can’t seem to find it)

So here’s some pics. Each pic is 2 weeks apart, besides the hardscape picture. Fill date was Dec. 7, 2019. Tank will have been up 1.5 months in 5days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	991BFE76-0AEF-4B1B-B8FE-904416C6D1D7_1578984591215.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	891881  

Name:	D19418CF-2AD7-416A-A61F-C33A7DCF3FBC_1578984647627.jpg
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	891883  

Name:	65BA0B4F-FB41-44EE-A05D-A9D501064406_1578984782996.jpg
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	891885  

Name:	478AAF51-960F-460E-83F5-1C56B49A76FB_1578984794346.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	891887  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This tank will be what i would consider my actual 1st aquascape done by myself. Had help with a previous tank, which i’m very new to this hobby. Got into it maybe 5months ago.

My hardscape was a bit inspired by my favorite anime Naruto, which i called this scape ‘Jukai Kōtan’. Went with plants that i thought would look like the anime series when this move was used.

So, planting & fill day...
Original list of plants was a bit different. No Monte Carlo, and only a few Crypts.

After about a week in, most if not all Manzanita wood started to get that white fuzzy stuff. (1st pic)

2 weeks in, All but 2 Rosanvig melted away. 1st batch of Rotala H’ra were dying, and HC looked like it was not going to make it either. ( H’ra and HC plants tho did not look well from the day i got them so yea...) (2nd pic)

3 weeks in, decided to get more plants to replace what was lost. Added in Monte Carlo to fill missing HC spots in background. Added more HC in foreground. Replaced all Rotala H’ra with better batch. Replaced missing spots of Rosanvig with Crypt. pink panther. Filled in missing spots of Cyperus Helferi.

3.5 weeks in, white fuzzy stuff starts to get really stringy and some start landing on HC, mostly foreground. Some HC leaves start to go dark. I test water and parameters are ok, so i go and get some Amano Shrimp to combat white fuzz. A few days later i go and get some Otos to help out. End of the week or so, Amanos numbers drop to 3, others were adventurous. Found 1 in another room, and 2 behind my stand and near my door.

4 weeks in to current day, everything seems to be going well. 80% of white fuzz is gone. Amanos made a mess of middle sand area, lol. Days later noticed patch of Repens start to look like melting. Forums helped clear up problem, missing Otocinclus may be dead causing an ammonia spike. Still can’t find it but still very hopeful it’s just hiding and that my ADA Amazonia was the cause of the ammonia spike and burn. (3rd pic)

Will update in a few days for my 1.5months in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	61B976A3-4519-4D4E-9EDF-C5AE8332C94A_1578985464035.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	891889  

Name:	72DB2BA2-D60A-4266-A0E7-EFCF9FB57D0B_1578985776726.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	891891  

Name:	0CCDCCC5-D984-41CC-820F-61F7781C4261_1578987132339.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	891895  

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your rockwork is really great!

What is your substrate (the top layer doesnt look like ada?) and what are you using for fertilizer? I am surprised you are having as much trouble as you are having with your plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@minorhero
It’s the regular ADA Amazonia. Guessing the first ever. It isn’t the type II or amazonia light. Someone said it looked washed like it was old.
Also using the ADA line of fertilizer. Started dosing with brighty k neutral and mineral. (Also just realized i’ve been dosing incorrectly, says 1pump per 20liters. I read 1pump per 20gal, so i’ve only been dosing 2pumps) 😂😅

I think the trouble with the plants stems from my perfectionism and my lack of patience when i see something i think is off. This forum has helped me learn to be VERY patient. I’ve had to restart this tank 3 times over before finally getting this scape. Wasted hundreds of dollars on plants that i eventually tossed out due to bad DSM start and just bad experience or lack there of. Also, i was always never sure whether plants were dying back or just dying.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:00 AM
Algae Grower

I started my waterbox almost 4 weeks ago and have had the same melting problem that you are having. My Staurogyne repens also developed that same spotted appearance that yours has. Most of my substrate is Amazonia with a sand river/path in the middle. I’m anxious about the melt because it seems to be slowly spreading. I hope yours clears up soon.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Isis24
From what i’ve learned here, melting may be possible dieback. Just be very patient. I’d link my other thread asking about my S.repens but im hella new to this forum and have no idea how to link it. But yea from the help i got, the melt on repens may be caused by amazonia leeching ammonia. What i did was cut the leaves off or cut the tops off of any that were affected. Also followed some advice and used Equilibrium to help buffer my water. Some say their repens recovered, some say only a few, so far for mine the melt stopped spreading. Hope this helps!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningendou View Post
@Isis24
From what i’ve learned here, melting may be possible dieback. Just be very patient. I’d link my other thread asking about my S.repens but im hella new to this forum and have no idea how to link it. But yea from the help i got, the melt on repens may be caused by amazonia leeching ammonia. What i did was cut the leaves off or cut the tops off of any that were affected. Also followed some advice and used Equilibrium to help buffer my water. Some say their repens recovered, some say only a few, so far for mine the melt stopped spreading. Hope this helps!
Thanks; I’ll try 😩 Weird that the highest I have seen ammonia in this tank is 0.5. My tank before this had levels as high as 4 (because I didn’t know to change water frequently with new Amazonia). S. Repens did great there and these are the same plants I had in my other tank. Oh well. I just hope that this phase resolved, even if a bunch of plants die. I just want to have things under control again.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Weird that the highest I have seen ammonia in this tank is 0.5.
@Isis24
Yea, same! Tank had huge ammonia in the beginning, then as cycle started to finish ammonia stayed around 0.25-0.50ppm. Once readings hit 0.50ppm, repens started to melt.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode