Back to Basics (Shrimp are Here) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can easily add more light, once the algae has subdued. I kind of forgot that light was mounted that high up... Nonetheless, blasting a new tank with tons of light will almost always result in algae.

Tank is off to a good start!
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
You can easily add more light, once the algae has subdued. I kind of forgot that light was mounted that high up... Nonetheless, blasting a new tank with tons of light will almost always result in algae.

Tank is off to a good start!
Thanks - it's funny cause I was experiencing a funny thing towards my dutch aquarium where i had the least algae when I had the light closest to the tank, growth was insane but I was trimming way too often.

I'm seriously considering adding a carpet where the sand is just to add some more plant mass....

Pretty darn sparse on the plants right now!

post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 05:03 AM
Algae Grower

Looking fantastic.

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Added the Anubias Petite.
I'm sorry if I overlooked this somewhere else in the journal, but what method are you using to attach your rhizome plants to the wood/rocks in this tank? All your plants look placed *just. so.* and this is very much the style I'm hoping to achieve in our new 29g.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ughhhhh..
New Co2 reactor build works great, ran it for about 5 hours yesterday and managed a 1 pH drop.
This morning it came on at 8 AM like my diffuser used to..
Get home at 11 for lunch and water looks kinda hazy... EVERYONE is acting completely dead.
A few fish have some gill movement, my 3 berried shrimp twitching..

Did an 80% water change (temperature swing probably hurt just as bad) before I had to go back to work and shut off the co2.

Hopefully some of them will survive/come back to life.

pretty sure ALL the embers are dead, some of the CPD's look like they're just unconcious.

1 oto looks okay as well.

>_< I'm so mad.
Times like this I wish I had a pH controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corykat.j View Post
I'm sorry if I overlooked this somewhere else in the journal, but what method are you using to attach your rhizome plants to the wood/rocks in this tank? All your plants look placed *just. so.* and this is very much the style I'm hoping to achieve in our new 29g.
Hey thank you, I just used superglue. I just apply some to the rhizome and then smoosh it against the wood or rock for about 15 seconds.

post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry to hear about the gassing... That's a big problem many of us face... changing up CO2 too quickly without being near the tank to monitor it. I've dealt with it before, now I'll never change up CO2 too drastically without it being the weekend where I'm home all day to watch things.

CO2 controller / or a monitoring system is my next large investment for a tank. Redundancy is going to be a main factor for many of us as we venture into new and high techy systems.
Greggz likes this.

My 30g Journal:

post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Sorry to hear about the gassing... That's a big problem many of us face... changing up CO2 too quickly without being near the tank to monitor it. I've dealt with it before, now I'll never change up CO2 too drastically without it being the weekend where I'm home all day to watch things.

CO2 controller / or a monitoring system is my next large investment for a tank. Redundancy is going to be a main factor for many of us as we venture into new and high techy systems.
Very upsetting - feeling very bad for their suffering.
I thought I had it dialed in after yesterday but I guess not! =[

pH controller sitting in my amazon cart right now but need to do a little more research.
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like some of the fish came back, lost about 9 Ember Tetras.. maybe 1 CPD and 1 Shrimp.
Hope the shrimp eggs survive!

post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:39 PM
Algae Grower

So sorry to hear about the gassing incident, but your tank scape looks fantastic!

Do you know what type of stone you used? I’ve been wanting something that looks like yours but that isn’t seiryu, since I don’t want it to affect my tank’s pH.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you, Chloro for the advice on the glue. I didn't know that was an option.

Sorry to hear about the gassing--sounds like a stressful day. But I'm glad to hear most everyone snapped back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not exactly my first project, but I'm doing something new and ambitious-for-me.

post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishie425 View Post
So sorry to hear about the gassing incident, but your tank scape looks fantastic!

Do you know what type of stone you used? I’ve been wanting something that looks like yours but that isn’t seiryu, since I don’t want it to affect my tank’s pH.
So this is actually seiryu Stone, I think the water chemistry stuff is not really an issue unless your source water is like a 1 kh/gh and you really need to keep it there.
In my case my tap water hovers about 4-7 kh and gh year round depending on the rainfall etc.
Doing a weekly water change I find it hard to imagine my parameters creeping up much as I'll always be resetting closer to tap water.

I used lots of small rubble pieces and one center piece stone.

Side note: all the embers died, they don't handle co2 nearly as well as the CPDs which is interesting.
Guess I'll get a larger School of CPDs and call it a day for a while on fish...
But not until I make sure I have my co2 fixed

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:31 PM
Algae Grower

poor embers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not exactly my first project, but I'm doing something new and ambitious-for-me.

post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Today was a better day - I delayed the start of the co2 from 8AM to 10AM, turned it down as well.
I was at a 6.5 pH by end of day which is about a .7 pH drop.
Still trying to learn the rate of change on this new reactor.

BBA/Staghorn is kinda aggressive... I'm dosing 6ml Excel every night starting 2 days ago, I don't think its going to knock back what I have but maybe I can put a stop to it.
Then I'll focus on clearing as much off as I can.

I'm gonna move the baby tears from the background and put it in the center where the crypt spiralis is and widen the Rotala mound in the back.. Move the center plants off to the sides..
Originally planned to be able to see sand all the way to the back glass but I feel like I'm going to end up with a carpet sooner than later.
I just need more plants. This scape is so sparsely planted because I have a lot of open space up front.

I'm so amazed the rotala is growing! It's not stunted at all lol. It's not very colorful though, but I am running on 3 lights pretty far from the tank.
I'm dosing APT complete every other day...
I wonder what other rotala's I can grow now - literally never been able to grow any longer than a week before they stunted.

The CPD's are happy. Think I lost maybe 1 or 2 but I can't figure out where they went. Very hardy little fish!
As for the shrimp, I think I have 3 berries right now - can't find many males though so I'm worred if I lost all of them as they were smaller and had less oxygen in their body's to survive the brief suffocation =[

rzn7z7 and burr740 like this.

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Moved the baby tears up front - hopefully it will thicken a bit, gonna trim it a little soon.
Need to move some of the Crypt Spiralis to the left side to get some more color over there.
Waiting on the rotala to fill out in the back now..

Yesterday pH was at 6.67 by 1 hour after lights on.
Turned co2 up a little and turned on the powerhead.
Today pH was at 6.59 at noon.
Going to check at about 5PM and see if its climbing up further or stabilized.
If its stabilized I will turn up a tiny bit more, I can't get much more agitation though.

edit: wife checked pH for me at 3:45 and its at 6.5.
Just recently did some large waterchanges so I'm waiting for my test water to offgas still, its been about 18 hours and pH was 7.3 offgassed!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Last edited by Chlorophile; 02-14-2020 at 09:45 PM. Reason: add more info
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

24 hours later offgassed pH is 7.4, I expect it to maybe climb a little more in the next day or so to maybe a 7.5 or 7.6
I decided to turn co2 on an hour earlier.
from lights on to lights of pH dropped from 6.6 to 6.4, thats a pretty slow drop so I think I'm close to a good equilibrium.
Gonna try to get it down a hair more before the lights come on and see if that stays fairly steady for the rest of the day.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode