Back to Basics (Shrimp are Here) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Glad to see you back.

Tank is off to a great start.

Look forward to following along. Subscribed!
Chlorophile likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Three oto's sitting in a tree!!

And one sittin alone

Water getting very yellow now!

Water change time

And added the Koralia Nano Powerhead back into try and create a little more kick up on the sand.

Gosh I didn't misss how hard it is to keep stem plants from floating away in soil substrates! Tempted to cap it all off with some black sand just to make it a little easier!

Dosed 5ml of The 24 Hour Aquarist complete fertilizer after water change.
Hendy8888, Greggz, burr740 and 2 others like this.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here is also a youtube video I made..
I am not very comfortable speaking so it feels as though I am trying to not speak too loudly but I felt the need to make the video anyway!

I clearly can't mix because the music is too loud!
burr740 likes this.

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Sounds great! I wonder If I could even place in the top 1000 though...
Defiantly! Have you hear of The Aquascapers Collective (TAC)? It's a collective of north american aquascapers who work together to enhance aquascaping skills of its members and increase the number of NA submissions to aquascaping competitions. I encourage you to find (and join) the TAC Lodge page on Facebook to learn more!
Chlorophile and ererer like this.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The SHRIMP ARRIVED!

Gosh those last two photos are amazing! I love the way the ember tetras interact with the shrimp, very nosy but not aggressive at all!
And then.. 10 of them got sucked into the filter!
I wondered where they went. I guess the overflow is probably the main culprit but maybe its the inlet.. I'm inclined to think the inlet flow would startle them away but the overflow is probably very exciting waterfall.

So I went and got a prefilter sponge and cut out some coarse sponge to fit in the overflow - I actually think the overflow sponge is a genius idea because so much stuff gets sucked down it anyway!

The Rotala is... I dont know what its doing, its going green and going very round almost like immersed rotala.
I wish I could understand this lol.
https://i.imgur.com/uFnw5a3.jpg

Also the CPD's have arrived and they're very small and not as pretty as I remember.. I owned them when they were still mostly wild caught and they were all very dark blue and gold...
Not really eating much either... I might need to try some different foods.

The Moss is starting to grow which makes me verry happy.
lots of new little green patches.

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
I think so.. Im undecided - I wanted to add some Corydoras but dont want to bulldoze the shrimp.
I don't want just the two species though.. Maybe I'll end up with 2 SAE instead but I'd like something that stands out a little.
Have you had trouble with corydoras and breeding shrimp together? I've had two planted tanks with corydoras in them now and have had no trouble with breeding shrimp. The current tank also had cardinal tetras, and the shrimp are actually breeding very well, though there is plenty of room for the babies to hide in the moss.

5.5g RCS tank, 10g Betta tank

Build threads:

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Diatoms getting kinda aggressive, looks to be the hairy type.
Gonna skip feedings for a few days to see if the 22 cherry shrimp will munch on it a little when deprived of leftover fish food

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ooh boy!

Well ontop of somehow almost gassing everything to death today (lost 3 CPDs so far) I've also got BBA showing up.

I swear sometimes I think I get less BBA when I have less co2.. It also the worst in my high flow areas.
Oh and STAGHORN?! growing on freaking everything.
It has been so long since i had staghorn im very confused.

Struggle city!

Rotala is not stunted yet but boy oh boy is it GREEEEEN as can be with no color whatsoever.
I have no new growth on my bolbitis.
My moss is growing, as is the Java Fern.
Some other plants kinda struggling.

*sigh*

Some gentle dissapointment, heres a few pictures from the last few weeks.

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

How much light are you running? I do t think I saw what you were using anywhere, unless I missed it.

|

post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
How much light are you running? I do t think I saw what you were using anywhere, unless I missed it.
It's a QUAD T5 HO, hung about 1ft above the surface of the tank.
18" deep tank.
Running 2 6500k bulbs, a PowerVeg 633, and a Red Sea ReefSpec Bluewhite 15000k

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think I need to go to a Co2 reactor.

I have a very high grade dual stage regulator, and I actually took the needle valve out of the system - the regulator is precise enough and so stable I can easily adjust the bubble count quite precisely.

The issue I'm having and part of why I gassed my fish the other day is because the actual co2 diffuser seems to have a lot of variance in its porosity.
Sometimes at 30psi it barely trickles out, but if you crank it to 40 to clean it out by blasting co2 through it it opens up the pores or something and then going back to 30psi its perfect all day.
It's just not consistent.

I like the nilocg reactors but that is 90 dollars!

Gonna stop by the store today and see if I can find the stuff to make one..
Quagulator likes this.

post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would personally drop one of those 6500K bulbs and reduce photo period to 5 hours a day max, that's a lot of light for a new tank.
Chlorophile likes this.

My 30g Journal:

post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
I would personally drop one of those 6500K bulbs and reduce photo period to 5 hours a day max, that's a lot of light for a new tank.

You think even at the height I have it?
It looks so dim already (obviously my interpretation of it is not indicative of the PAR)
Wish I had a PAR meter, I might just raise it up some more.

post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You think even at the height I have it?
It looks so dim already (obviously my interpretation of it is not indicative of the PAR)
Wish I had a PAR meter, I might just raise it up some more.
Yes, that is loads of light for a new tank, keep the photo period short and reduce light until the algae has subsided.
Grobbins48 likes this.

My 30g Journal:

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Alright I took two bulbs off, raised light more, and reduced photo period by 2 hours. Now running 2PM to 8PM.
Just running the powerveg and a 6500K - tried some other combos but didn't like how blue everything was.
Co2 still on at 8AM so it'll be on for 6 hours before the lights come on...

Also I got my first berried shrimp! Of course she would be the one bloody marry that has the pink stripe on her back but thats okay, I just need shrimpies!
vraev, rzn7z7, burr740 and 2 others like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode