Squisher's 45g bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Squisher's 45g bowfront

I just wanted to start a journal to track things and to give the people who help me out a reference to know where I'm at.

I did a fishless cycle starting on Nov. 10th/19

Nov.15th added:
Lobelia cardinalis, cardinal plant
Eleocharis parvula, dwarf hair grass.

Nov. 23rd added:
Cryptocoryne undulatus 'red'

Dec.22nd added:
Valisneria this is my only plant that hasn't come from tropica emersed cups

Dec.25th added rotala 'bonsai'. The rotala has been a tasty treat for my angelfish so it's been a slow starter but it's all surviving and starting to grow some finally.

Jan.2nd added:
Christmas moss

So far I have used only tropica specialized liquid fertilizer. Started with very light dosing of one pump every 2-3days and have worked my way up to three pumps a day. I have been doing 50% water changes weekly and just my last change I moved from filling straight from the tap via python to aging my change water in a brute for atleast 24hrs, while aerating and heating it to tank temperature.

My substrate is seachem fluorite. Frustrating at times for planting, or should I say replanting.

I use a fluval 206 and a ac30 HOB for filtration. I've got a inkbird controller running a fluval 150w heater.

I've got a fluval plant 2.0 LED light that I've been running 8hrs/day.

Dec.26th I added pressurized co2 art pro se with a 5lb bottle and inline diffuser. It took me a handful of days to work myself up to the proper flow to get my dropchecker into the green. I haven't fully wrapped my head around determining co2 levels beyond getting the drop checker into the green and watching my fish behaviour.

I run my light, co2, and air pump with a teckin outdoor 3way smart plug. Works great through the smart life app. You can name each outlet and set as many timing events as you want and power outages don't affect it. I run my co2 on one HR before lights come on and off one HR before the lights go out. I run the airpump opposite of that and have it turn off one HR before the co2 starts and on 1/2hr after the co2 turns off.

My water has been very consistent so far. It is chlorinated municipal water and typical parameters are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Ph 7.0-7.5
Gh 60
Kh 30

So far that is all I test for. And the last couple weeks life has been keeping me hopping so I haven't been doing a lot of testing just sticking to my scheduled weekly water changes.

I added fish on nov. 24th. My cycle only took two weeks. I had a mature 10g(now my quarantine tank) with which to seed the 45g.

I'm not going to bore (even more) with details of when/what added. Just that current stocking is:
1 angel
3 swordtail
7 red eye balloon tetras(yes the dreaded balloon!)
4 otocinclus
2 kuhli loaches

Pictures to follow as I've tried to start a journal a few times and end up losing my text somehow while copying and pasting pictures in. If you made it this far thanks for reading. And any questions, comments, or advice is appreciated.

Bump: Nov 27th

Bump: Dec.22nd

Bump: Jan. 9th

Desert Pupfish likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Squisher; 01-15-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Fixing photos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Just FYI photos aren't showing for me.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmm. Thanks for letting me know. I thought I had the picture thing figured out but I guess not? @Streetwise you helped me out a bunch before trying to figure out pictures. Perhaps you could quote my post and help me sort what I've done wrong? The pictures obviously show up fine for me on my end.

I'll post another one in this post.

SoulstormTX likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Squisher; 01-15-2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Fixing photo?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I see them!
Squisher likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I see them!
Thanks for confirming that. I think I copied them from the wrong spot in my google photos the first time.
Streetwise likes this.

10g quarantine tank

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

I am back on my MacBook Air, and now they show with question marks. I will quote one and see what I can figure out. The link looks extra long. Here it is stripped of BBCode tags:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/bP...w1800-h1344-no

Edit: It ads URL tags no matter what, but that still looks like a very long link. When I see an extra-long link, it makes me think it is temporary.
Desert Pupfish and Squisher like this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 01-15-2020 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Details
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok thanks. I always appreciate your help.

Seems very confusing to me, but I have worked myself into a state of near exhaustion here recently due to some unforeseen chain of events. I can still see all the photos even if logged out of my google account. Probably in my iPads history somehow or something.

10g quarantine tank

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
Dec.25th added rotala 'bonsai'. The rotala has been a tasty treat for my angelfish so it's been a slow starter but it's all surviving and starting to grow some finally.
How odd. In all the years I've had angels, I've never had them bother any plants. Sometimes when I'm scraping algae they'll try nibbling at the floating bits--but I think they're probably mistaking it for flake food which is like crack for them. But someone in another thread said the same thing, so maybe the more woke angels are going vegan now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I am back on my MacBook Air, and now they show with question marks.
Same for me on my MacBook Pro. Lots of people are having trouble posting pics. I always just download them from my phone onto my computer, then upload them into my messages, and they always seem to work (for me anyway)
Squisher likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The picture thing has become a bit of a stretch for me. But I'm determined to sort it out. I'm hopeful the pictures are viewable now as I changed a setting making the album shareable. Don't know if I'll have to re-link them again though?

My angel is my feature fish and I really enjoy it. But I feel powerless sitting their watching it destroy plants. It's moved on a bit from the rotala and has been devastating my Christmas moss which is my newest addition. My normal meals consistent of 4-5 different types of foods that I mix together and pre-soak with Epsom salt infused water. Including flake, pellet, bottom feeder pellets, brine, bloodworm frozen. Seems a decently varied diet that is always well received by all the fish. It seems to leave plants alone the more they get established. So hopefully when my tank matures a little it will become a thing of the past? I've wondered if it's bored? 45g is not very big for an angel I know but I'm really hoping it'll be happy/healthy in there.........and stop eating my plants!

10g quarantine tank

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
The picture thing has become a bit of a stretch for me. But I'm determined to sort it out. I'm hopeful the pictures are viewable now as I changed a setting making the album shareable. Don't know if I'll have to re-link them again though?
Where are you hosting the pictures? I cannot see them...

FWIW I have been using Imgur and/or Tapatalk to host mine. Tapatalk when on the phone (90% of the time I post this way) and Imgur when posting through the computer.

|

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am using google photos. It's a bit of a long story that Streetwise is helping me with in another thread too. I will go back and redo the links and see if I can fix it. Thanks for letting me know that they are still not viewable.
Grobbins48 likes this.

10g quarantine tank

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So yesterday I started ei dosing. I am using:

+/- tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week

After all of my questioning in another thread regarding schedule/dosing on water change day I decided to simply fill a weekly pillbox with macros on MWF, and micros on TTS and nothing on Sunday. The amounts I'm using are the recommended amounts for 20-40g from the website I bought from theplantguy here in Canada. I figure my plant 'load' is fairly minimal to moderate at this point so I'll start here and increase as necessary.

Also with my fert order I got a pack of root tabs because they were a cheap add on and am wondering anyone's thoughts on whether I should add some to the valisneria roots or any of my other plants while I'm ei dosing or if I shouldn't bother?

I also have seen some of what I think is the start of BBA on my hardscape. Whatever it is i hit it with h2o2 yesterday and will watch it. I'm also going to reduce my light schedule from 8hrs to 7hrs I think. Hoping that when my ph controller arrives in the next couple of weeks that it will help to stabilize co2 levels and keep algae under control.

Here is some pics from this last week. Whole tank pic is from Tuesday. I really enjoy my kuhli loaches I had added two little ones but thought they had maybe gone into a filter or something as I never saw them again. Until a couple of days ago I saw one of them. So I've got atleast 3 kuhli loaches, maybe 4. My angel still persists in grazing plants like crazy. Rotala and Christmas moss are its main targets. Frustrating to watch.

On a different note the wife has ok'd a fish room in our basement which is finished so not a dungeon and quite nice/comfy. So I'll be assembling some heavy duty shelving today and starting to setup. Moving my 10g quarantine in and starting up a 20g tank I have too.

10g quarantine tank

Last edited by Squisher; 01-18-2020 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Adding photos
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Couple of pics tonight. Battling the bba now. I've been spot treating hardscape with h2o2 using a pipette blast for a couple of days now but leaning towards not overdoing it. I've been reluctant to treat any plants and just yesterday and today saw it starting on a few leaves here and rheee. I figure it's been from my inconsistent co2 dosing. I've been 'fiddly' a bit with it trying to dial it in. Worried a couple of times I had overdone it so cut it back hard and then had a hard time finding the sweet spot again. Hoping it'll be easier when I get it on a controller.

Whole tank pic Jan 19:

Bump: Atleast the otocinclus are committed to the cause!

10g quarantine tank

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Today I calibrated and added a Milwaukee ph controller for the co2. After calibration and setup I was seeing a ph of 7.0 in my aquarium(this is with co2 off for like 14hrs. This threw me as obviously that's exactly the same as one of the calibration solutions but after much experimentation I'm confident that it's accurate. So a full ph point drop for me will be to 6.0. I am planning to approach this slowly to avoid gassing/stressing my fish. I've also decided to run the co2 24/7 and just get down to 6.0 and stay there. Thinking there will be less stress from swings. I know people have varying opinions on this. I'm not concerned about wasting the co2 myself.

I also have coming another fluval 206. I am going to ditch the ac30 and run two 206's. One will be inline diffusing co2 and the other will be inline diffusing 02 from a airpump. Both through the same style ceramic inline diffusers. My plan is to run both 24/7, with the co2 on the Milwaukee controller. Thinking that I will keep good o2 levels this way while hopefully being able to keep a good saturation of co2 as well.

Jebao dosing pump will be setup in the next few days as well. So yes lots of changes relatively at once which I know isn't recommended but I got the green light from the wife to just get what I figured I needed. So.........didn't want to wait for that offer to expire. Lol.

Bump: I have noticed that when the Milwaukee cycles off there is a stray current that pulses through the solenoid output, roughly every seven seconds. I only notice this because my co2 solenoid has a led light to indicate it's on. It is flashing once every seven seconds. But not enough to activate the solenoid. Curious if others have noticed this or if I should be concerned about this?
Greggz likes this.

10g quarantine tank

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

First lights on with the new controller running the co2. So far so good. The drop checker is firmly in the green. Light green even. I've dropped the ph down to 6.2 so far.

Also did a bunch of wiring clean up and prepping for the jebao dosing pump.

Things continue to grow.

Wiring cleanup, under the shelf:

Shelf in place:

Voss bottles in place, still need to paint and secure my wooden 'holder':

Side of tank viewable from my sitting chair but not obtrusive to the room. The auber is not aquarium related it's my woodstove flue temp. Hmmm how'd that refreshment get there?:

Still dosing dry ferts right now but hoping to calibrate and switch over to the jebao in the next few days. Gotta have a balance........my wife says.

10g quarantine tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode