Squisher's 45g bowfront - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tonight I added some root tabs to about half my tank. One side of my tank the Val's are doing much better than the other also that same poorer side has crypts exhibiting slower growth. So I stuffed some root tabs in and will watch how it goes. Didn't put many, maybe six or seven right under specific plants.

Have I mentioned I like kuhli loaches?

Best buds:

Desert Pupfish likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Things keep continuing to grow well imo. I've seen a bit of melting on some of my Vals that is a bit concerning but in nothing else? They also continue to propagate themselves and grow but aren't getting super tall yet. Going to be adding some pogostemon erectus today and it's starting to occur to me that my giant rock hardscape is going to be really limiting my amount of substrate real estate. Considering taking out the cave top rock and the giant rock on the right that the driftwood is on. And then moving the pointy rock from the left over to somewhere on the right side. Orrrr? Would love to hear any opinions or thoughts on how I might change up my scape to give more plant room without completely destroying what I've got going on

When I started this aquarium it was going to be all about the fish and just a few plants for interest/healthy environment. Then I found this site and next thing I know I'm co2, ei dosing, and considering lighting upgrades. Lol. I'm wishing I'd put a little more thought and research into my scape at this point. I don't mean that to sound to negative and I still really enjoy this aquarium. Without this site I'd never have worked my way through setting up a somewhat successful planted aquarium. So thanks again to everyone past and present who have contributed to the resource this site is.

Greggz likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

After careful consideration of all the feedback...............I came up with this. It's gotten a thumbs up from the wife. It's given me a lot more substrate real estate and so far I'm really liking the change. Still have to plant the pogostemon tonight. Wanted to see it with the lights on first though to decide where.

Greggz and Desert Pupfish like this.

10g quarantine tank

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
After careful consideration of all the feedback...............I came up with this. It's gotten a thumbs up from the wife. It's given me a lot more substrate real estate and so far I'm really liking the change. Still have to plant the pogostemon tonight. Wanted to see it with the lights on first though to decide where.

Looks like you are off to a good start. It usually takes more than 14 hours to find out your degassed pH, Iíve seen most recommend at least 24 hours, some 48 hours. I just leave a cup of water out and test a few times until it has leveled off.

I kinda liked your hardscape, also agree there was too much in there if you want more plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Squisher likes this.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I did like my original hardscape too, I did quite a bit of agonizing over changing it. It really had things quite tight though as my tank isn't very wide, also it had to be taking up some significant water capacity. It had to be about 60pds of rock I took out of there, maybe more. I really want to get more variety of plants too so it started to not make sense to cover up so much of my substrate. I've got the pogostemon in now, but like all of my plants it's from a emersed tropica cup so not much to look at yet.

I've calculated my ph drop not just from my tank with the co2 off for 14hrs but also from makeup water heated, aerated, and agitated for 48hrs. Seems 7.0 is my degassed ph as it's been super consistent. Even back when I just had liquid tests I was guessing 7.1-7.2 with the colour matching. I'm getting down to 6.0 with my co2 now in the controller. 6.0-6.2 is my fluctuation, I have it come on 2hrs before lights on and off 1/2hr before lights off. Fish seem good and I think the plants are liking it.

I also took the glass panels out of my lid under the light hoping to get a little more par out of my plant 2.0. And hopefully today I'll have a chance to work on calibrating and setting up the jebao, still dosing dry ferts.
vvDO likes this.

10g quarantine tank

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Still ticking along. Planted the pogostemon erectus last weekend. It isn't doing much of anything yet, not melting but not growing much(tropica emersed cup) and got another new plant today hoping to get some help on the ID with as the store employee didn't know, I don't know, and there was no labelling on the tank it came out of at all. So any help with that is appreciated. Crypts seem to be doing really well, propagated one large plant into seven and seems before long I'll be doing more or getting rid of some at this rate. Vals took a beating this last week. They've melted a bunch since my renovation. Still haven't got my act together to get the jebao pump setup so just dosing dry ferts still. Haven't been in a big rush as I'm still waiting on my new filter to arrive(2nd 206) and can't set up my line holding block for the dosing lines until I get rid of the hob unless I modify my hood. The new filter is supposed to be here by Monday so that should motivate me to finish off the jebao calibration and setup.

New plant:
Desert Pupfish and andieg3 like this.

10g quarantine tank

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post

New plant:

Ludwigia? Canít tell you the species, looks like it is emmersed growth so expect it to change into immersed growth. My best guess is palustris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Squisher likes this.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. I think that is what it is too after looking around a bunch, ludwigia palustris. I was given the impression that it was submerged growth/plants. They look like they were trimmings no real roots and they are quite tall. But the only emersed growth I'm familiar with are tropica cups and of course they are tiny but most have had roots. I'll be very curious to watch these now.

10g quarantine tank

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Everything is doing good it seems except for my Vals. I don't know if my big rearrangement shook them up really bad but they aren't doing much for what I've read is a fast growing plant. I may trim some of the melted bits off here? The ludwigia is settling in and looks fantastic. Finally too my DHG is starting to establish and grow. The pogostemon that I put in a couple weeks ago from a tropica cup is starting to grow nicely too, although still very small. Seems I will be overrun with crypts at the rate they are growing. I plan to gift a few of them to the fellow local hobbyist who gave me the Vals. I tell ya rotala must be a tasty plant. Because while it's growing half decent it is constantly getting chewed up by the angel, I've even seen the swords picking at it pretty good too.

I received my new fluval 206 filter this last week so I'm just in the process of hooking it all up. I am plumbing air into a inline co2 diffusermand going to inject air that way for something to try. Waiting on this filter has been a good enough excuse that I've put off switching to the jebao pump as I'm going to run my lines/block where the current AC30 sits. So hope to have that up and going by the end of the weekend.

Really enjoying the aquarium. I've got a couple new arrivals in quarantine right now that I'm excited about. But that will be for future updates/photos.

Always open to suggestions, comments and questions.

This weeks pic:

10g quarantine tank

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

After running a few days now with the 2nd 206 in place of the ac30 I'm amazed how much less gaseous exchange their is. My co2 use is way down now compared with before to reach the same set drop point on my ph controller. Also my tank isn't completely offgassing all co2(back to my degassed ph) like it was before. I may even be able to reduce it running by an HR. As I did have my co2 set for two hrs before lights on because that is how long it'd take to reach the set drop point. Now it's reaching it in an HR. I've also noticed much less co2 run time during lights on to maintain my 1 point drop. It's just been interesting for me the dramatic difference.

I do have a 2nd inline diffuser plumbed into the new 206 filter as well injecting air like I mentioned I wanted to try. Not convinced it's actually working. I don't think my airpump can produce enough psi to actually inject the air. So I'll have to see what I can do about that if anything to rectify it. I figured if it doesn't work out that I could possibly divide my co2 injection between the 2 diffusers for better dispersal? Not sure on that whole idea though? I'd like to sort out injecting air, not 100% sure it isn't working yet. There's bubbles in the diffuser attached to the ceramic diffusing material but I don't see anything coming out of the filter outlet in the tank? Haven't had proper time to look it over thoroughly though this weekend.
andieg3 likes this.

10g quarantine tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode