The Planted Tank Forum banner

Two old Osaka cubes getting a makeover

10K views 87 replies 12 participants last post by  Discusluv 
#1 · (Edited)
Like my other tank journals, this one is going to take some time before there's much to look at but unlike those I'm not starting from scratch. Full disclosure, I've been saying I was going to do this for a year now and I'm largely making this post to motivate myself to hurry up on this project. I'd estimate I set these two up in 2008 and 2009. The first one shown was initially stocked with cherry shrimp and is my oldest surviving colony. That giant pile of crypts you see melted a couple of months back and are just starting to sprout new leaves. The other Osaka was set up about a year later after it didn't sell in my store and I wanted a matching set. I no longer have the literature, but recalled these being listed as 50 gallon. From measuring the tanks at 24" x24" x 18" they are actually 45 gallon. At any rate, here are the tanks as they are currently set up:

I ran passive CO2 on them a long time since I got away from pressurized on my shop tanks and had a spare canister. This works pretty well, but ultimately it was one more thing to have to remember to do daily. I'm over it, so going back to pressurized. Hopefully I can "unlearn" a lot of what I believed to be true about using gas and still remember to hook everything up correctly. Might need a new regulator, but I have two I need to test before spending the $. Digging through old equipment I've found this so far:

A regulator from a reef tank, two bubble counters, two needle valves, CO2 resistant tubing, and check valves. I have two bulky homemade Rex Grigg reactors somewhere in storage, but am hoping to avoid using them. I had to get creative when building them because the hardware store was out of some PVC parts and so I wound up with units much larger than they should have been. And they aren't small to begin with. So thoughts on the least obtrusive reactors appreciated.

Much like @Discusluv 's chicken pot pie, I am buttering the significant other up to my aquarium projects. In my case, I'm painting the interior of our house colors that she picked.

Before with a masculine olive color:

Last night after two coats of Sherwin Williams "Luminous Green":

The room is still a mess from hurriedly putting it back together last night. Tank #2 will be moved to the opposite corner from this one where the lamp currently is. It used to be there and I have no idea why I moved it. The CO2 tank will stay under tank #1 and I'll run tubing across the floor to reach tank #2. Still unsure of what reactor/diffuser I'll wind up with so hoping for suggestions. My better half would like my hobby much better if not for all the wires, cords, and clutter.

This is going to be a big undertaking so I'll be redoing one tank at a time. Since stopping passive CO2 for a few months, the plants are already noticeably suffering. The Anubias in particular looks like absolute trash in tank #2, with holes developing in leaves, algae, and yellowing and this tank still hasn't fully bounced back from the massive crypt melt that occurred after adding the Fluval 3.0 light. All the nutrients seem to be going to algae growth. I probably should have drastically reduced my fert regimen after stopping passive CO2 and then increasing light but I feel confident they'll bounce back quickly enough once I get everything sorted. I am finalizing an order of some very nice crypt cultivars for tank #1 which will be the first tank I rescape. Once I get it set back up, I'll post an update and ask opinions on other plants I could add. Then once that one is where I want it, I'll repeat the process on to tank #1. Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#3 ·
I haven't seen one in ages and am not 100% sure Fluval is still manufacturing them. They were off the Hagen dealer website for a while and are back up without pictures so no idea if they are still around or going to be for long. But they are great kits and I have been very happy with mine. I'd say snap it up if you see one!

#4 ·
Somehow I missed this post!

I love the way that paint turned out-- the soft green looks wonderful with the black accents. Your wife picked a winner! It is the perfect blend of masculine/feminine :)
Cant wait to see what you do with those 2 tanks. These are such hard tanks to make look good and the examples of what others have done are slim to none.
I have the 24 x 24x 24.

#5 ·
One good thing about starting a failing LFS was getting to cherry pick tons of stuff like wood and rocks! When I drain these, I'll pull those pieces of Mopani out and show them with something for scale. Both pretty much go to the top of the 24" tall tanks, so that's a big help in scaping them -before I got those the top 1/3rd of the tank was empty unless I had a tall stem plant. But I've never liked the piece in tank #1 so much. The other one is a stunner, but you can't see it for Java moss and plants at this point. But no matter what you do, making a nice scape on a cube is more difficult than a rectangle. I have many times (over the decade of owning these) thought I was going to do something radically different but tank always looks pretty much the same because the wood only fits in one place! But I'm open to replacing the wood in tank #1, taking a saw to it, whatever. Tank #2 has a splendid piece of Mopani though, I just need to weed things out so it can be seen.

#6 ·
Alright, tomorrow I break tank #1 down and start it over. I didn't get too much done today, since it's onward and upward with the painting project. But to get to one wall, I had a tank to move that had been there a long time.

I got it moved back to the opposite corner and now have my living room getting the way I'd wanted it.

I had a helper who took a nap on the drop cloth for much of this project, even though she has a bed and is allowed on the couch. She has to be nearby at all times.

Here's the front of the tank I'm tearing down tomorrow:

When the light is this near the front glass, lots of scratches are evident. If I move them towards the back the scratches can't be seen but I know they're there. Might try some Barkeeper's Friend on that, but I hadn't planned on totally emptying it -though now would be the time.
Left side:

Right side:

I have a mini bonsai tree in there I was waterlogging and letting block Val growth with. Doubt I'll incorporate that.

All that I know is that all Val is going and lots of the Anubias might get moved out. I'll post more tomorrow as I get started and show better what I have to work with. I have a few new arrivals from @Marylandguppy I'll be incorporating for sure and some fancier crypts on their way. I also need to get off of my rear about testing my CO2 regulators.

#8 ·
Step one is done, getting the white cloud fry out, they're big enough to go in the main tank now.

I've picked up 2 bags of Eco Complete since the substrate has dropped considerably over the years. I guess that's from vigorous vacuuming. I plan on filling this back up with no fauna at all, or as close to that as I can get. I'll probably fishless except the Ancistrus and put shrimp in here, just undecided on what type. Most plants will be taken out, I'll decide on what I keep as I can better inventory what's in there.

#9 ·
Pulled the stump out and it's covered in plant growth. It seems a shame to pull the Anubias off of this. I'll try to trim it and see what I wind up with.

This is all yours, Amy! Or as much as you want:

Getting the last of stuff out of the gravel and then will scrub down, drain completely, and set back up. I'm finding a few odd shrimp in here, those will all be moved as well so I can start over with a clean slate. If humanly possible, I want to evict the MTS and only have ramshorn and pond snails in here going forward, that's a tall ask though. There's an inch of mulm on the bottom from uprooting all of the plants. Would photo but tank is too dusted up to really tell.

#11 ·
Yeah, I'm having second thoughts now. My main reason was because then the tank will look the exact same, but I have a couple of ideas. Might just take a little of the A nana off and change the foreground. We'll see how it looks. There are networks of Crypts that are only 1-2" with foot long roots in this tank. The substrate is absolutely full of roots, no way I could get them all out. But they'll feed things I suppose.

#13 ·
It's all yours if I can get it into Ziploc bags, some of this was pushing 4'. There's a lot of younger plants though, so no worries if I have to compost some of the oldest growth.

Refilling now. I've filled it halfway, stirred the substrate, drained again and now have added another bag of Eco Complete.

I'll trim anything off the stump while in the water. There's surely Bolbitis and Java fern I don't want in this one growing on it, but I'll wait until I can pull the paper towels to do so.

#14 ·
Lots of roots showing, which bugs me. Not sure if all the Val hid this or I had the stump turned the other way around. One thing I prefer about Buce is that it doesn't send those long runner roots shooting downward. Fair amount of Buce on this stump too, but not nearly as much. I'll try turning it another direction. If I can't hide the Anubias roots I'll just plant something pretty that grows tall in front of it.

Top view:

#15 ·
Ordered a couple of more things out of the classifieds, plus have another package coming to help take care of the foreground. Wanted Blxya and Erio "Vietnam" on the right side, but didn't have a ton to pull from other tanks. I'll share a better look at things when the dust settles tomorrow. Hopefully after I get the CO2 rigged up I will have this one looking something like I had hoped by April or so. Still might cut more of the Anubias back. I like it but it's hard to do much else with so much of it shading things.

#17 ·
These came with Fluval 205's, which I'm pretty sure have been updated to 305 and then 405 by now. One runs its 205 and the other currently has an AquaClear 70 on it, but will be getting the 205 in addition when I get the CO2 going. Should be next week.
Things have calmed down a bit, the water is starting to clear and the lights are dimming. I think there's more to clear off of the stump (probably on the right side), but I love having open space in there again. Already thinking about fauna. Possibly black Neo shrimp and after they get established, 25 or so brigittae would look nice in there.

My room after my team lost in the playoffs. Redone tank on the right:

#19 ·
The tanks and the room looks great! All that hard work paid off. And the wife is probably very happy! :)

Bump:
Removed the Anubias from the right side of the stump and added a few plants. Hope to have CO2 running by this weekend. I'm really glad I took an afternoon to do this, I'm enjoying this tank so much more and was able to give away all the plants that I removed.
Front:

Right side:

Left side:

Full tank shot:

Hopefully I can get the Bylxa and S. Vietnam to fill in and the Rotala to stay a rich red in such a deep tank, we'll see. No fauna in this tank right now and I'm considering hitting it heavy with Excel while that's the case to clear up any remaining algae. Even with 100% water change and substrate washing, no signs of a mini cycle going on. Was thinking of keeping fancier shrimp in this one, but I don't think you could beat bloody Marys for such a shadowy tank. Keep going back and forth on that one. When the shrimp populate like I want, I may add 25 or 50 Boraras. That will be late in the year though, and only if all goes without a hitch.

Thanks for looking and as always, any critiques or thoughts appreciated. I'll be tackling the other Osaka in the next week or five. There's a new batch of guppy fry in that one to catch as well as a lot of shrimp. And lots of plants to inventory/decide on what stays and goes. My days off are more booked up than usual lately, and the next tank is going to be a bigger undertaking than this one was. It's a jungle. And has developed HA and BBA. And crypts are just now sprouting new growth from a mass melt. To be continued...
Do you already have Bloody Mary's? I am thinking of getting rid of mine...
They would be for trade on the beautiful plants you sent me.

I just worry about shipping them . :(

#18 ·
Removed the Anubias from the right side of the stump and added a few plants. Hope to have CO2 running by this weekend. I'm really glad I took an afternoon to do this, I'm enjoying this tank so much more and was able to give away all the plants that I removed.
Front:

Right side:

Left side:

Full tank shot:

Hopefully I can get the Bylxa and S. Vietnam to fill in and the Rotala to stay a rich red in such a deep tank, we'll see. No fauna in this tank right now and I'm considering hitting it heavy with Excel while that's the case to clear up any remaining algae. Even with 100% water change and substrate washing, no signs of a mini cycle going on. Was thinking of keeping fancier shrimp in this one, but I don't think you could beat bloody Marys for such a shadowy tank. Keep going back and forth on that one. When the shrimp populate like I want, I may add 25 or 50 Boraras. That will be late in the year though, and only if all goes without a hitch.

Thanks for looking and as always, any critiques or thoughts appreciated. I'll be tackling the other Osaka in the next week or five. There's a new batch of guppy fry in that one to catch as well as a lot of shrimp. And lots of plants to inventory/decide on what stays and goes. My days off are more booked up than usual lately, and the next tank is going to be a bigger undertaking than this one was. It's a jungle. And has developed HA and BBA. And crypts are just now sprouting new growth from a mass melt. To be continued...

#20 ·
I do not, and have been searching classifieds. I have some breather bags if you'd like for me to send you a few. I'll pay whatever they cost you, I have more Val than I can give away and that feels like a lopsided trade in my favor. I'm also going to be breaking the other Osaka down and have tons of crypts there won't be room for if you want them. Mostly wendtii varieties with some lucens and lutea mixed in but I've purchased some fancy ones that might be in the mix. No visible algae on those, it seems to be restricted to the driftwood and plants growing on driftwood as of yet. Is the Val doing okay so far?

#23 ·
While waiting to get the hose fittings to hook up CO2, I undertook a project that was years overdue -cleaning out the stuff I had in these stands and my "fish shelf." Ashamed of myself as someone who hates waste to let LOTS of stuff expire without using. Put most of the food, brine shrimp eggs and so forth in the compost.

This is a gallon compost bin:

After cleaning out and making piles for Goodwill, recycle, trash, compost, and back to the store -I was left with much less stuff:

#25 ·
Whenever you are involved in a hobby for a long time, it's easy to accumulate "stuff." I had food and meds that expired over a decade ago. Just got pushed to the back. I won't say "never again" on buying things I don't wind up using, but I'll never again let it get this far out of hand. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

#27 ·
That is why I buy the smallest food, filters, chemicals (none since I settled on dirt), etc. I still have saltwater stuff from 2011. I have given away more than I ever saved by buying big, but at least much of it went to good homes, including old canister filters, etc.

#28 ·
So close and yet so far... I received my hose connectors today and was all ready to start. And wouldn't you know it, I got the wrong size. No worries, I can order one from the evil Amazon and have it here Monday at the latest. The page even says so:

That is until I put it in my cart and got ready for checkout:

This is maddening. I ordered it anyway and will cancel if I can get two sets of these in my hand before it gets here.

#29 · (Edited)
The fittings came over the weekend, and I got CO2 hooked up to both tanks. It was a bit of a bear getting the PSI up to 30 since the adjustment screw and bolt were on solidly, but the diffusers wouldn't go at my usual 12 PSI. But I got it done and as of last night got the pH down almost a full point in both tanks. No bubble counting, it took a stream of gas to get there. Livestock in both tanks seems to be taking it fine. Not much change and one tank is still due its makeover, but I'll post some photos when there's anything new to show. Pretty pleased with GLA diffusers. It got the CO2 concentration where I wanted it, and once the canisters had run for a few hours I no longer see micro bubbles. Might start slowly upping the light and ferts over the next few weeks.

Edited to update:
Correction. The CO2 I had set last night and still seemed solid this morning did not remain consistent. Came home to two gassed tanks with very dead fish. Guppies, an ancistrus, and cull shrimp in one, and new bloody marys in the other. Quite a few of of the guppy fry survived. Adults, juvies and all shrimp I can find did not. I should have started nice and slow, or take the time to set up the pH controller before starting the gas. All I do is advise people to be patient in this hobby and I couldn't even heed my own advice. I'm thick enough to have to learn the same things over and over sometimes.

#30 ·
Haven't started on the other tank yet, but that may be this weekend, especially if it continues to rain. But I wanted to show the progression so far. I have bought two plants and moved another two, and may lose a species or two of the stems after I stare at it a few more weeks. I think this is going to be a much improved tank once I figure out what stays and goes -and where, plantwise. But I'm happy with how it's coming along for 3 weeks in. I'm going to try a before and after:

Front before:
Today, (that's CO2 mist, more visible than I'd hoped for)

Right side before:
Right side today:

Left side before:
Left side today:

Top before:
Top today:

Plants are definitely growing, and showing better color in just 3 weeks time, and only one week with more than passive CO2. I have to get the controller and smart plug figured out this weekend also. I've detailed in another thread how I gassed this tank. It's a sickening feeling killing creatures under your care by avoidable accident and I am resolute not to repeat it. With the help of technology this time. I'll update if any changes after I start on Osaka #2. Spider wood log has been soaking, large quantity of Fissidens acquired, and I should have all day free on Saturday.

#31 ·
Got the controller and smart plug up and going. It was all a bit involved since I'm also trying to keep wires neat and tidy. Now onto the tank breakdown. I might be burning the midnight oil on this.

Most of the plants look so bad I'm tossing them.

The Eco Complete was almost solid with Cryptocoryne roots. You might recall it was carpeted with them before the melt. Makes me kind of sad but I'm not trying to save any C wendtii so it's all got to go:

I'm blaming the sulphur smell my wife is complaining about on the dog. She looks guilty:

The keep pile is the 5 gallon bucket. The vast majority of it isn't going back in, nor the old Mopani wood.

The spiderwood soaking outdoors froze overnight, but I've got it in a bathtub now.

Fissidens moss is floating in a spare tank. It's going to be painstakingly tied to that wood once the tank is clean and set back up:

I have quite a bit of needle leaf Java fern which will go around the base of the wood. And a few Buce and E. Vietnam, but it's going to be rather empty until I decide everything that I want. Hoping to make this one a high tech, low light, slower growing setup. Will update when it's back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.