Two old Osaka cubes getting a makeover - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Following this with much interest. I'm currently setting up a 24x24x18 as well. Still need to buy a filter and a heater but I'm almost there!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
These came with Fluval 205's, which I'm pretty sure have been updated to 305 and then 405 by now. One runs its 205 and the other currently has an AquaClear 70 on it, but will be getting the 205 in addition when I get the CO2 going. Should be next week.
Things have calmed down a bit, the water is starting to clear and the lights are dimming. I think there's more to clear off of the stump (probably on the right side), but I love having open space in there again. Already thinking about fauna. Possibly black Neo shrimp and after they get established, 25 or so brigittae would look nice in there.

My room after my team lost in the playoffs. Redone tank on the right:

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Removed the Anubias from the right side of the stump and added a few plants. Hope to have CO2 running by this weekend. I'm really glad I took an afternoon to do this, I'm enjoying this tank so much more and was able to give away all the plants that I removed.
Front:

Right side:

Left side:

Full tank shot:

Hopefully I can get the Bylxa and S. Vietnam to fill in and the Rotala to stay a rich red in such a deep tank, we'll see. No fauna in this tank right now and I'm considering hitting it heavy with Excel while that's the case to clear up any remaining algae. Even with 100% water change and substrate washing, no signs of a mini cycle going on. Was thinking of keeping fancier shrimp in this one, but I don't think you could beat bloody Marys for such a shadowy tank. Keep going back and forth on that one. When the shrimp populate like I want, I may add 25 or 50 Boraras. That will be late in the year though, and only if all goes without a hitch.

Thanks for looking and as always, any critiques or thoughts appreciated. I'll be tackling the other Osaka in the next week or five. There's a new batch of guppy fry in that one to catch as well as a lot of shrimp. And lots of plants to inventory/decide on what stays and goes. My days off are more booked up than usual lately, and the next tank is going to be a bigger undertaking than this one was. It's a jungle. And has developed HA and BBA. And crypts are just now sprouting new growth from a mass melt. To be continued...

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
These came with Fluval 205's, which I'm pretty sure have been updated to 305 and then 405 by now. One runs its 205 and the other currently has an AquaClear 70 on it, but will be getting the 205 in addition when I get the CO2 going. Should be next week.
Things have calmed down a bit, the water is starting to clear and the lights are dimming. I think there's more to clear off of the stump (probably on the right side), but I love having open space in there again. Already thinking about fauna. Possibly black Neo shrimp and after they get established, 25 or so brigittae would look nice in there.

My room after my team lost in the playoffs. Redone tank on the right:
The tanks and the room looks great! All that hard work paid off. And the wife is probably very happy!

Bump:
Quote:
Removed the Anubias from the right side of the stump and added a few plants. Hope to have CO2 running by this weekend. I'm really glad I took an afternoon to do this, I'm enjoying this tank so much more and was able to give away all the plants that I removed.
Front:

Right side:

Left side:

Full tank shot:

Hopefully I can get the Bylxa and S. Vietnam to fill in and the Rotala to stay a rich red in such a deep tank, we'll see. No fauna in this tank right now and I'm considering hitting it heavy with Excel while that's the case to clear up any remaining algae. Even with 100% water change and substrate washing, no signs of a mini cycle going on. Was thinking of keeping fancier shrimp in this one, but I don't think you could beat bloody Marys for such a shadowy tank. Keep going back and forth on that one. When the shrimp populate like I want, I may add 25 or 50 Boraras. That will be late in the year though, and only if all goes without a hitch.

Thanks for looking and as always, any critiques or thoughts appreciated. I'll be tackling the other Osaka in the next week or five. There's a new batch of guppy fry in that one to catch as well as a lot of shrimp. And lots of plants to inventory/decide on what stays and goes. My days off are more booked up than usual lately, and the next tank is going to be a bigger undertaking than this one was. It's a jungle. And has developed HA and BBA. And crypts are just now sprouting new growth from a mass melt. To be continued...
Do you already have Bloody Mary's? I am thinking of getting rid of mine...
They would be for trade on the beautiful plants you sent me.

I just worry about shipping them .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I do not, and have been searching classifieds. I have some breather bags if you'd like for me to send you a few. I'll pay whatever they cost you, I have more Val than I can give away and that feels like a lopsided trade in my favor. I'm also going to be breaking the other Osaka down and have tons of crypts there won't be room for if you want them. Mostly wendtii varieties with some lucens and lutea mixed in but I've purchased some fancy ones that might be in the mix. No visible algae on those, it seems to be restricted to the driftwood and plants growing on driftwood as of yet. Is the Val doing okay so far?

post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I do not, and have been searching classifieds. I have some breather bags if you'd like for me to send you a few. I'll pay whatever they cost you, I have more Val than I can give away and that feels like a lopsided trade in my favor. I'm also going to be breaking the other Osaka down and have tons of crypts there won't be room for if you want them. Mostly wendtii varieties with some lucens and lutea mixed in but I've purchased some fancy ones that might be in the mix. No visible algae on those, it seems to be restricted to the driftwood and plants growing on driftwood as of yet. Is the Val doing okay so far?
The crypts would be great. That would be fine in trade along with paying for shipping.
The vals are good for now. Im being hopeful!

I have some breather bags. Insulation for box. Would that be all that is needed. How many would be safe in a bag? The bags are smaller bags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

-------

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 01-20-2020 at 09:36 PM. Reason: moved conversation to PM
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

While waiting to get the hose fittings to hook up CO2, I undertook a project that was years overdue -cleaning out the stuff I had in these stands and my "fish shelf." Ashamed of myself as someone who hates waste to let LOTS of stuff expire without using. Put most of the food, brine shrimp eggs and so forth in the compost.

This is a gallon compost bin:

After cleaning out and making piles for Goodwill, recycle, trash, compost, and back to the store -I was left with much less stuff:
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
While waiting to get the hose fittings to hook up CO2, I undertook a project that was years overdue -cleaning out the stuff I had in these stands and my "fish shelf." Ashamed of myself as someone who hates waste to let LOTS of stuff expire without using. Put most of the food, brine shrimp eggs and so forth in the compost.

This is a gallon compost bin:

After cleaning out and making piles for Goodwill, recycle, trash, compost, and back to the store -I was left with much less stuff:

Oh wow! You did good.
Im bursting at the seams myself. Im sure I could get rid of some fish-stuff stuffed in so many different drawers around the house.

Amy
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Whenever you are involved in a hobby for a long time, it's easy to accumulate "stuff." I had food and meds that expired over a decade ago. Just got pushed to the back. I won't say "never again" on buying things I don't wind up using, but I'll never again let it get this far out of hand. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.
Discusluv likes this.

post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
While waiting to get the hose fittings to hook up CO2, I undertook a project that was years overdue -cleaning out the stuff I had in these stands and my "fish shelf."

Great picture! If I gathered mine all together I am sure I could be right there.........or maybe even surpass you!!!

Looks like a truly dedicated fish keeper/plant grower lives there!

---
---
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is why I buy the smallest food, filters, chemicals (none since I settled on dirt), etc. I still have saltwater stuff from 2011. I have given away more than I ever saved by buying big, but at least much of it went to good homes, including old canister filters, etc.
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

So close and yet so far... I received my hose connectors today and was all ready to start. And wouldn't you know it, I got the wrong size. No worries, I can order one from the evil Amazon and have it here Monday at the latest. The page even says so:

That is until I put it in my cart and got ready for checkout:

This is maddening. I ordered it anyway and will cancel if I can get two sets of these in my hand before it gets here.

post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

The fittings came over the weekend, and I got CO2 hooked up to both tanks. It was a bit of a bear getting the PSI up to 30 since the adjustment screw and bolt were on solidly, but the diffusers wouldn't go at my usual 12 PSI. But I got it done and as of last night got the pH down almost a full point in both tanks. No bubble counting, it took a stream of gas to get there. Livestock in both tanks seems to be taking it fine. Not much change and one tank is still due its makeover, but I'll post some photos when there's anything new to show. Pretty pleased with GLA diffusers. It got the CO2 concentration where I wanted it, and once the canisters had run for a few hours I no longer see micro bubbles. Might start slowly upping the light and ferts over the next few weeks.

Edited to update:
Correction. The CO2 I had set last night and still seemed solid this morning did not remain consistent. Came home to two gassed tanks with very dead fish. Guppies, an ancistrus, and cull shrimp in one, and new bloody marys in the other. Quite a few of of the guppy fry survived. Adults, juvies and all shrimp I can find did not. I should have started nice and slow, or take the time to set up the pH controller before starting the gas. All I do is advise people to be patient in this hobby and I couldn't even heed my own advice. I'm thick enough to have to learn the same things over and over sometimes.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 02-05-2020 at 01:00 AM. Reason: update
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Haven't started on the other tank yet, but that may be this weekend, especially if it continues to rain. But I wanted to show the progression so far. I have bought two plants and moved another two, and may lose a species or two of the stems after I stare at it a few more weeks. I think this is going to be a much improved tank once I figure out what stays and goes -and where, plantwise. But I'm happy with how it's coming along for 3 weeks in. I'm going to try a before and after:

Quote:
Front before:
Today, (that's CO2 mist, more visible than I'd hoped for)

Quote:
Right side before:
Right side today:

Quote:
Left side before:
Left side today:

Quote:
Top before:

Top today:

Plants are definitely growing, and showing better color in just 3 weeks time, and only one week with more than passive CO2. I have to get the controller and smart plug figured out this weekend also. I've detailed in another thread how I gassed this tank. It's a sickening feeling killing creatures under your care by avoidable accident and I am resolute not to repeat it. With the help of technology this time. I'll update if any changes after I start on Osaka #2. Spider wood log has been soaking, large quantity of Fissidens acquired, and I should have all day free on Saturday.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode