• 2 Post By Trillianne
  • 2 Post By Trillianne
  • 1 Post By Trillianne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trill's 65g: Let's give it some gas

So I have had my 65g tank for many years now... apparently since 2011. It resides on a ledge built into the base of our staircase.

In that time, its sometimes done better than others on the plants and fishes front. It was doing quite well on the plant front for some time as I was stocking it with some SAE which managed to keep the algae well in check. Then there was the house interior repaint of late 2014 - early 2015 when it had to move off the ledge and we decided to add some PVC feeder tubes at the back of the ledge in order to move the filter under the ledge. (It is accessed from the closet just off to the right of the photo above.) Late in 2016 my last SAE (Called him cigar because he was so long and barrel shaped) decided to see what life was like outside the tank (apparently its short lived) and since we were planning some additional home renovations for early 2017 we didn't restock right away and then when we did... some of the fish also really liked the plants we chose just in the eating capacity rather than the decorative one. Our 2017 flooring upgrade ended up meaning our fish got to visit our neighbors while the sealant finished off.

So here's the current specs on my set up:
Filter: Fluval FX6

Light: Finnex 24/7 LED light

Stock:
4 Boesemani Rainbowfish
4 Turquoise Rainbowfish
1 Gold Nugget Pleco
~10 Sterbai Corycats
3 Longfin Rosy Barbs
2 Harlequin Rasboras

The Barbs and the Rasboras are from an earlier stocking before my husband decided he loved the rainbowfish tank at the lfs.

65g - Mostly Rainbowfish
20g Long - Tetras/Corys/etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Maintenance Tuesday

So typically Tuesdays are my water change tank maintenance days. The "tiny tank" is my 20G Long, and things are looking pretty decent in there, the lone panda cory fry is still hanging around, and the amanos/plecos are keeping up on the algae. The only plant issue is the rather small sword that got moved from the big tank. It grows.. just stays pretty small.

Big tank is rather crummy looking on the plant front. LOTS of BBA and my helper Kaylee (2 yr old cat) fishing out all the floating stems that get uprooted certainly doesn't help.

But on the fish front the rainbows seemed VERY happy today with lots of color on both the Boesemanis and the Turquoise.

It amazes me that they basically turn black with a white/yellow nose stripe.

Did some interior glass cleaning (probably need to get some nose prints cleaned off the end still) and some more research on my options for the big CO2 change over. Currently leaning at the set up from AquariumPlants vs GLA set up. I am also thinking Mr.Trill needs to clean out his section (computers) of the closet early on in this project.
Greggz and burr740 like this.

65g - Mostly Rainbowfish
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So still planning stages... went through my storage bench and discovered I had quite a bit more prime in there than I though AND apparently my tests are now more in the ancient realm of things.

As to the Prime and its age/how I could forget such a thing... we have a coop well water system and up until last fall they did not chlorinate our water, which made cleaning filters and refilling fish tanks very easy. Alas, one of the wells turned up e.coli and since they were not able to find a definitive cause (not uncommon) that means we are now getting chlorination unless they come up with a different solution tbd. I immediately bought a new bottle of Prime at the time but finally got around to asking the internet how long it lasts and apparently its considered shelf stable. However knowing my testing reagents are kind of old too... I've ordered more testing kits and we shall go from there.

I did measure my height under the tank where I house the filter and where the Co2 set up should be going. I have clearance of up to 32 inches. This means probably a 10 lb tank. I also asked about the local hardware's CO2 refill service... and its positively vague but leaning more towards a no. Yes they fill small threaded tanks like for paintball, but not larger threaded tanks. One of the techs pointed me to a soda stream gas refiller... so yeah think I'm going to have to go further afield than my local town. I've got leads and phone numbers on about 3-5 various gas/welding supply companies in the greater area that I need to phone up to see if I can bring my own and get refills or if its rental tank swaps only... etc. Ah well.

65g - Mostly Rainbowfish

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kind of a boring update... basically have started to get my water tests in that I ordered. (In a strange and bizarro twist the one test I canceled out of my order last week because it was saying it wouldn't be delivered for two plus weeks and I figured I'd look locally... I managed to check this morning and not only is it discounted but it will be delivered this Saturday. o.o)

Sent out four emails to various places that are local-ish to see what my options are. I live rural enough its looking like a 30+ mins drive but I guess I'll be able to update the what's available on the more east side of Seattle area post.

65g - Mostly Rainbowfish
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So only one email reply to the 4 sent out last Thursday but forging on with a rescape and a few new plants this week any way.

My supervisor was very concerned for her fish garden

But now that the water cloudiness has cleared up we are both pleased.

65g - Mostly Rainbowfish
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 05:04 AM
Algae Grower

Rainbows!!! do they let you pet them? haha used to have a Boesemanis that did they last forever too great fish to watch.

so how many pieces of driftwood do you have?

Nice fish nook all you need is a hammock and you could live in front of the tank
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Guppys View Post

how many pieces of driftwood do you have?

Nice fish nook all you need is a hammock and you could live in front of the tank

So it's three pieces. You can see them better in the first picture of the thread. I just rearranged and smooshed the big two together. One big mopani, one large spiderwood and a rather small mopani (it's in the plant tray).

There is a nice storage bench in front of the tank that functionally holds supplies and serves as my step up for maintenance and is quite comfortable. The cats would tell you it's the pets bench and are currently snugglepiled on it.
Silly_Guppys likes this.

65g - Mostly Rainbowfish

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode