Orchid the betta's 10 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Orchid the betta's 10 gallon tank

I started this tank back in early 2019 using spare equipment, plants, and driftwood from various builds over the years. The 10 gallon was originally a live food (scuds, daphnia, blackworms) grow-out tank but I got bored with it. In June 2019 I moved the tank into my bedroom and added some neo shrimp. They didn't do well for me (they do just fine in my bigger tank with ATO, I later learned water stability is KEY), so I moved the shrimp out and decided to get fish instead. I found an absolutely gorgeous lavender betta at Petco of all places and decided this would be his new home.

The original "two trees" theme in June 2019 with neo shrimp, lots of java fern, java moss, and some crypt parva. Since this was a live food tank initially, I just re-purposed a metallic green starry gift bag for the background. I don't hate it but it's certainly a bit silly.

- Nikki
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
72 gallon bow front community planted tank started 10/19 & 10 gallon betta planted tank blackwater as of 01/20 - nicoleah218 on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nicoleah; 01-07-2020 at 08:47 PM. Reason: adding on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

10/09/19 - This guy was a super lucky find! He is a lavender dumbo plakat male and I had only ever seen a purple betta in FB group pics before. I'm amazed at how much his colors change as he moves. I named him Orchid for his colors (any other Opeth fans on here?)

I took out one of the "trees" and added a cocohut hut I ordered off Amazon. I plugged the hole on top with a little java fern so he wouldn't try to swim through it and possibly get stuck, tossed in some guppy grass and driftwood pieces, and he's been a joy to take care of. I've had other very placid bettas in community tanks but he is SO mean so he's going to have to live alone but has finally stopped flaring at me.

stevewb and kgbudge like this.

- Nikki
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
72 gallon bow front community planted tank started 10/19 & 10 gallon betta planted tank blackwater as of 01/20 - nicoleah218 on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:19 PM
Banned

That's a gorgeous betta.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Orchid photo dump!

Current setup:

Light - BeamsWork EA Full Spectrum LED
Filter - Aquaclear 30 (I think? I have several)
Substrate - EcoComplete black

Java moss, java fern, ginormous marimo moss balls, crypt parva (which look terrible, the scuds were mowing them down before I got the betta), guppy/naja grass, lots of botanicals. I don't really like the guppy grass and am considering redoing much of this tank. Plant something prettier, move the cocohut to the left side, replace the substrate with black sand, add CO2, maybe upgrade the light if need be. I mean, do I really NEED CO2 on such a small tank or am I getting carried away?! haha We shall see!
stevewb likes this.

- Nikki

Last edited by nicoleah; 01-04-2020 at 07:44 PM. Reason: for fun
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbudge View Post
That's a gorgeous betta.
Thank you! I agree, I think he's magnificent but I'm a bit biased.

- Nikki

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm going for the upgrade! Ordered some frosted window film for a nice background but I'm sticking with green. Upgraded LED light will be here Saturday. The CO2 parts came in today, I just need to go rent a tank. Luckily a welding supply shop is 2 miles from my house. I'm going to remove the Eco-Complete and replace with with black diamond blasting sand, I have this in my 72 gallon bow front and I love it. I already added some extra botanicals to darken up the water a bit, I'm kind of liking the tannin stained water, it really makes his colors pop against all that green!

Lastly I ordered some blyxa japonica, hygrophila pinnatifida, two types of anubias. I plan to cover the cocohut as best as I can with plants & perhaps the driftwood twigs (there are plenty on the left side of the tank already but you can't really see them behind all that guppy grass), I think the cocohut looks dumb but the betta definitely likes uses it. I will be removing the guppy grass as I don't really like the look of it and as much of the duckweed as I can (HAHAHA, wish me luck!) More to follow!
evil8 likes this.

- Nikki

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yesterday I drove 40+ minutes to the Tractor Supply store and they had just sold their last three bags of medium grit black blasting sand to someone else (the guy at the store even said it was for an aquarium project, which one of you was it?! haha) I had checked their website for availability but I had not reserved a bag (lesson learned) so I got a bag of the fine 30/60 instead because I really didn't want to drive an hour to another location. I really hope I don't hate it but I can mix in the old Eco-Complete black I have if I think it's too fine. Maybe I'll put the Eco-Complete underneath the BDBS, I really want the black sand look but don't want to risk compaction issues.

- Nikki

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleah View Post
Yesterday I drove 40+ minutes to the Tractor Supply store and they had just sold their last three bags of medium grit black blasting sand to someone else (the guy at the store even said it was for an aquarium project, which one of you was it?! haha) I had checked their website for availability but I had not reserved a bag (lesson learned) so I got a bag of the fine 30/60 instead because I really didn't want to drive an hour to another location. I really hope I don't hate it but I can mix in the old Eco-Complete black I have if I think it's too fine. Maybe I'll put the Eco-Complete underneath the BDBS, I really want the black sand look but don't want to risk compaction issues.

I have the 30/60 in my tank and I love it. I'm sure you won't have a problem with it. It's fine, but it's very light so I don't think compaction issues will be an issue unless you put it in too thick.

By the way, your betta is the most gorgeous fish I've ever seen. I'm super jealous and hope when my tank is ready I can find one half as beautiful as yours.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl_FL View Post
I have the 30/60 in my tank and I love it. I'm sure you won't have a problem with it. It's fine, but it's very light so I don't think compaction issues will be an issue unless you put it in too thick.

By the way, your betta is the most gorgeous fish I've ever seen. I'm super jealous and hope when my tank is ready I can find one half as beautiful as yours.
That is SO reassuring! I definitely like the look of the 30/60. I swirled some around in a glass of water to see how terrible it's going to be to rinse and how long it takes to settle, I think I'll actually like the stuff. I still plan to put a shallow layer of Black Eco in the bottom since I lean towards thicker substrate on plant-heavy tanks.

Thank you so much. He has a lot of personality (attitude), and has been a joy to take care of. The St. Louis area is very fortunate to have several very nice LFS with a good variety of the "new" betta colors/shapes.

- Nikki

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 07:40 PM
Algae Grower

He is ABSOLUTELY stunning.
Great find.

jj
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleah View Post
That is SO reassuring! I definitely like the look of the 30/60. I swirled some around in a glass of water to see how terrible it's going to be to rinse and how long it takes to settle, I think I'll actually like the stuff. I still plan to put a shallow layer of Black Eco in the bottom since I lean towards thicker substrate on plant-heavy tanks.

Thank you so much. He has a lot of personality (attitude), and has been a joy to take care of. The St. Louis area is very fortunate to have several very nice LFS with a good variety of the "new" betta colors/shapes.

I didn't rinse mine and it didn't cloud the water. I started rinsing it but it was near impossible to rinse it without losing it down the drain. When I added water I just put a plastic bag in the tank and gently poured the water over that. Easy peasy!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJessee View Post
He is ABSOLUTELY stunning.
Great find.

jj
Thank you!

- Nikki

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl_FL View Post
I didn't rinse mine and it didn't cloud the water. I started rinsing it but it was near impossible to rinse it without losing it down the drain. When I added water I just put a plastic bag in the tank and gently poured the water over that. Easy peasy!
I may go that route if I'm feeling lazy by that point. I didn't rinse the 20/40 when I set up the 72 gallon and the oily sheen goes away quickly enough.

- Nikki

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Itís still cloudy but Iím liking the new look so far. Iím sure Iíll rearrange a bit more once I can see the back of the tank again.

Left side

Right side

Mmmmm, nice hot tea. Haha. Some of this went into my 72 gallon. I definitely like the Blackwater look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Nikki

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautiful, messy, natural. I love it.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode