75 Gallon Planted - The Planted Tank Forum
 399Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 Gallon Planted

Hello everyone, on the advice of other members here I am starting my tank Journal as a way to share what I am doing and to keep a record of things I have done with our tank. This forum is a fantastic place to get great advice and information and I look forward to learning, enjoying and hopefully pitching in when I can!

M family and I inherited a tank and stand from my Father-in-Law. He had had the tank for a few years but gave up on the hobby and it sat for a long time collecting dust. Prior to moving houses, I had a 500 gallon Salt Water tank with a 150-gallon refugium. I was working a huge amount of hours and away from home for weeks at a time, so we had a company that came in weekly and manged the tank for us. When we moved into our current house, we really didn't have room for the setup and so we got rid of it. Years later, when my father-in-law offered us his old tank we decided to give freshwater a try and my personal goal was to do it all myself as opposed to having an outside company come in to manage the tank for us.

I am a pilot by occupation but a tech geek by hobby. When we rebuilt our pool some years ago I could not find a decent automated pool system so I wrote my own. Now several years and over 6,000 lines of Python/C++ code later it has full Alexa integration, automated acid dosing, automated filling, filtering, pH, ORP and temperature monitoring, web interface and more. Using Raspberry Pis, Arduino clones and Linux I have an amazing pool control system. My family thinks I am crazy to spend so much time on that project, but it is my way of relaxing.

So when we decided to put in a new tank, I knew that it would eventually be a high-tech tank. I wanted to have it all monitored, managed, tracked and graphed the way our pool has been. But first I needed to get the tank up and running.

After doing some reading and research, I started out by deciding not to use the two smaller Fluval filters that we got with the tank, although I would eventually add back in the 406. It was a Fluval 306 and 406 and instead went with the Fluval FX6. Taking a cue from our saltwater system I decided to install a RODI system on the tank so all that I had to do was hook up a special hose I put together, empty some water and turn on the hose and the tank would top off or refill with RODI water. Our water here in Phoenix is very hard so I thought this would be the best place to start.

So here is what I have on the tank (and have coming) as of today (1/1/2020):

Installed June 2019

Tank: 75 Gallon Curved Glass with wood stand

Equipment
1 x Fluval FX6 - Installed with tank
1 x Fluval 406 (added October 2019) (Biomedia Only (Seachem Matrix Biomedia))
2 x Fluval Plant Spectrum Bluetooth Freshwater Light LED (Version 3.0) 6,500K
1 x Fluval Advanced Electronic Aquarium Heater (300 Watt)
1 x Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller 2-Stage Outlet
1 x Seneye Reef System with Web Server and 2 x leak detectors
1 x Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP-4
1 x Aquatic Life Twist-in 100 GPD 4-Stage Ro Unit
1 x 20# CO2 Tank
1 x CO2Art Dual Stage CO2 Regulator System
1 x DIY CO2 Reactor
1 x GKM 24W UV Lamp (Installed 1/10/2020)

Substrate is CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black
Several rocks and some wood purchased from our local fish store

Tracking and Management Software
So I was looking for some kind of tracking software that was free or inexpensive and could track expenses, water changes, dosing, etc.
I looked at a bunch of different programs but we finally landed on this one, it was like $10 a year and workes on our computers and
phones:

Aquarimate

Water Readings from 3/2/2020
Tank Water
kH - 2
gH - 8
PO4 - 5
pH - 7.1
Nitrate - 50
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0.013
EC - 539 ÁS
TDS - 296 ppm

Tap Water
kH - 7
gH - 16
PO4 - .25
pH - 7.4
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
EC - 780 ÁS
TDS - 400 ppm

All test completed API test kits!

Current Plants
I don't know the names so I will have to fill this in later

Current Fish
I don't know the names so I will have to fill this in later

So here are pictures of the tank and setup from oldest to newest:

Trying to decide if I should use both filters...

Just getting started!

Mounting the RODI system under the cabinet...

Mounted and tested

Starting the fill process
The RODI line comes up the back of the tank and into the tank by the filter return

Still filling....

It took the better part of the day to fill the tank, here it is a few days later..

Looking good...

Adding more plants and a few fish...

More still....

HOY COW! What Happened?
Came back after a flight to find the tank looking like this....

At least I know I am good at growing algae!

We eventually got control of it, three days of blackout took care of it...

Back to looking good...

Everyone in the family likes the new fish tank....

The tank was looking good, I thought we had it all figured out!

But then we started to lose fish! But the weird thing was that we could never find the bodies of the fist, they were just disappearing.
Then one night we were in the living room watching tv when one of our cats jumped up on the fish tank, reached in the opening next to the filter return,
scooped up one of our angelfish and art it before we could even comprehend what had just happened.

I hated losing the fish but we were laughing so hard we soon forgot about the fish and now we knew where the fish were going. So we had to make a slight alteration to the tank to fix the glitch:

The fix is in...

All was right with the world but then we started having issues with our plants:

Which in turn resulted in THIS THREAD!

So I am currently (as of 1/1/2020) waiting on my CO2 system and getting ready to hit some water changes pretty hard to get control of my water readings. I am also going to start the PPS-Pro method of adding and dosing ferts into my tank. I have a lot of work ahead of me and I am really
excited to moot only have the tank but also that I found this amazing forum. I look forward to sharing my progress and to watching other tanks for great ideas!

Oh, I wanted to add some information about the Seneye system. It was pretty inexpensive for what it actually does. I have a lot of experience with monitoring and management of pool water and what it takes to get accurate readings on a regular basis so when I started with my tank I wanted to do the same for it that I do with my pool control system. I looked around for some cool solutions and thought I had hit the motherload when I ran across Open Aquarium. This was an Arduino based microcontroller solution that did everything that I wanted it to do. It was awesome and amazing and more importantly, I already knew how to program the Arduino since my pool control system utilizes a bunch of them.

Unfortunately, the company that made Open Aquarium stopped selling it and it is no longer available.

There were other solutions based on the Raspberry Pi, but none of them were really prime-time ready. I am more than happy as a DIYer but I was not really sure I wanted to take on another big programming project. The closest thing I was able to find that may end up working out for me was an open-source project called reef-pi. On the end, I decided to start with an inexpensive monitoring solution called Seneye. For less than $500 I get temperature, pH, ammonia, NH4, dissolved oxygen, and PAR and LUX monitoring along with two water leakage sensors and a water level sensor. All of those items can be set to alert me if something happens or goes past the threshold that I have set for them.

My guess is that I will eventually build my self a version of the reef-pi because those types of projects really interest me, but for the cost, you cannot beat Seneye as a monitoring device.

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System

Last edited by MD500_Pilot; 03-03-2020 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Updated Water Readings 3/2/2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:09 PM
Planted Member

I’ll be watching should be able to get it going the way you want pretty quick.
post #3 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What an excellent journal to start us off with!

I think high tech will be right up your alley- and this hobby has a lot of interesting tech that will keep you well satisfied for along time. Thats whats so great about keeping aquariums, you can make it as technical as you would like. We all have our preferences in how we like to approach the hobby.

If you take individual pictures of your fish I can identify them for you and tell you a little about them. I see neon tetras, rasboras, Angels, skirt tetras, and Red-eye tetras; but, that doesn't tell you much of anything if you cant identify which is which.

Thanks for sharing !
MD500_Pilot likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:15 PM
Banned

I, too, have kitties, one of whom particularly loves to get up on the supply cabinet next to the tank and watch the fish. She occasionally bats at one swimming by. The hunter instinct is just irresistible, I guess.
post #5 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
What an excellent journal to start us off with!

I think high tech will be right up your alley- and this hobby has a lot of interesting tech that will keep you well satisfied for along time. Thats whats so great about keeping aquariums, you can make it as technical as you would like. We all have our preferences in how we like to approach the hobby.

If you take individual pictures of your fish I can identify them for you and tell you a little about them. I see neon tetras, rasboras, Angels, skirt tetras, and Red-eye tetras; but, that doesn't tell you much of anything if you cant identify which is which.

Thanks for sharing !
Thank You! Not sure if this will work or how good the pictures are but let's give it a try:

Fish Album

It is actually kind of hard to take clean pics of these guys at night when they are moving around. :-)

Bump: Well, ready for another water change first thing in the morning:

Greggz likes this.

post #6 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, we completed another water change, I will be retesting the water here once the tank settles back down. I drafted my youngest to help and so far the fish look just as happy as they always have been, hopefully I am getting the water levels where they need to be. I will post updated water readings once I get that done. This water change was 25 gallons of 100% RODI.

OK, So my son and I completed our DIY reactor build partially based on Rex's design and feedback from several other forums about adding a bypass to help control water flow into and through the reactor as opposed to splitting the water flow to help dissolve more CO2if the flow rate was too high.

I have to say that not only did I immensely enjoy spending time working with my son, but it was also a lot of fun building and installing the reactor. I was very pleased when we managed to get it built and installed with no water leaks at all.

After reading on this and other forums, I decided to design the reactor with a bypass allowing me to regulate the flow of water out of my Fluval 406 through the reactor chamber. I read a lot about people having too much water flow through their reactor and thus not giving the CO2 enough time to dissolve into the water stream and seeing CO2 bubbles being pumped into the tank instead. I used a 2" heavy-duty clear plastic tube as my chamber, roughly 24" end-to-end. I used standard PVC, hose clamps and glue to put it all together. Once completed it went into our swimming pool to soak out all of the glue smell!

About ~2 " below the top of the reactor, I drilled a hole in the hose and pulled through my CO2 hose so that the bubbled entered the water stream directly in the middle of the stream. I had to use a heat gun to warm up the hoses in order to get them on the connections and then I used hose clamps on each of the hoses. I used Teflon tape on the barbs.

Dry fitting all of the pieces.

The "reactor chamber" is a very thick piece of tubing.

CO2 delivery line installed so the CO2 enters the water stream directly in the middle.

Completed reactor

Making the connection to the outflow of the Fluval 406 filter.

Connection from the outflow of the reactor at the bottom back to the tank.

Final resting place. We need to add one more clamp to keep it tidy.

We can see the CO2 bubbles being forced down the reactor.

So I have started my CO2 flow pretty low, 1 bps. I added a drop checker to the tank and after running CO2 most of the day it is still nowhere near green! I want to take it slow. Since I just did a water change I was not sure how accutate the pH/kH chart would be so I figured I would adjust a little bit each day until the drop checker turns green. Based on this chart, with a pH of 7 and a 3 dKH, I think I am at 9PPM CO2 and I think I should be shooting for 15 to 25ppm from what I have read so far.

post #7 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice job!

You have got the bug!

This is shaping up to be a good journal to follow.

As I mentioned in your other thread, 1 bps is almost nothing.

With a 75G, it will be almost a steady stream. Most here shoot for at least a 1 point drop. Some like me even more, like 1.35 peak drop.

keep in mind that drop checker takes hours to change color. A pH meter is a much better tool.
MD500_Pilot likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #8 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Nice job!

You have got the bug!

With a 75G, it will be almost a steady stream. Most here shoot for at least a 1 point drop. Some like me even more, like 1.35 peak drop.

keep in mind that drop checker takes hours to change color. A pH meter is a much better tool.
Thank You! I have the Seneye system that takes my pH reading (as well as others) like once every 10 minutes. So far I have seen it go from 7.15 to 7, so I guess it is going in the right direction.

Quick question - I thought with a reactor that you needed a lot less CO2 since it was getting more dissolved in the water prior to entering the tank. Is this correct?

Right now, I have the water flow into the reactor set pretty low since (as I understand the process) the longer the CO2 stays in the reactor the more of it dissolves into the water. I still have a few bubbles coming out of my tank water return, but nowhere near the amount of the CO2 I think I am adding. Is this a sound understanding of the process? I think I am aiming for an adjustment that has the least number of free bubbles of CO2 entering into the take, correct?
Greggz likes this.

post #9 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD500_Pilot View Post
Thank You! I have the Seneye system that takes my pH reading (as well as others) like once every 10 minutes. So far I have seen it go from 7.15 to 7, so I guess it is going in the right direction.

Quick question - I thought with a reactor that you needed a lot less CO2 since it was getting more dissolved in the water prior to entering the tank. Is this correct?

Right now, I have the water flow into the reactor set pretty low since (as I understand the process) the longer the CO2 stays in the reactor the more of it dissolves into the water. I still have a few bubbles coming out of my tank water return, but nowhere near the amount of the CO2 I think I am adding. Is this a sound understanding of the process? I think I am aiming for an adjustment that has the least number of free bubbles of CO2 entering into the take, correct?
If the reactor is sized correctly with the right flow you should not see ANY bubbles in the tank. They should all be dissolved.

And even with a reactor you will need a good deal of flow to get correct pH drop. Like I said, almost a steady stream, too many bubbles to count. Right now going from 7.15 to 7.00 is almost nothing.

I'd keep turning up the flow, while keeping an eye on the Seneye and the fish. Unlike a bubble counter, the pH drop is pretty much immediate. Try and bring it down to a full point drop and make note of the bubble counter flow. Personally I use a Dwyer RMA-151-ssv flow meter rather than a bubble counter, as to me it makes adjustments much easier.

Here's a link to a discussion in my journal.........

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post10821809
Squisher likes this.

---
---
post #10 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Nice job!

You have got the bug!

1 bps would be woefully insufficient in my 20 gallon at this point. Agreed with Greggz, the CO2 bubbles should be fully dissolved.

I know it's not as DIY, but a Neptune Apex is where it's at for aquarium control. Example below of pH monitoring: Can you you see where my CO2 ran out?

Maryland Guppy likes this.

post #11 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
If the reactor is sized correctly with the right flow you should not see ANY bubbles in the tank. They should all be dissolved.

And even with a reactor you will need a good deal of flow to get correct pH drop. Like I said, almost a steady stream, too many bubbles to count. Right now going from 7.15 to 7.00 is almost nothing.

I'd keep turning up the flow, while keeping an eye on the Seneye and the fish. Unlike a bubble counter, the pH drop is pretty much immediate. Try and bring it down to a full point drop and make note of the bubble counter flow. Personally I use a Dwyer RMA-151-ssv flow meter rather than a bubble counter, as to me it makes adjustments much easier.

Here's a link to a discussion in my journal.........

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post10821809
Got it. Right now there is a lot of air in the reactor once I start doing the bypass and cutting down the flow, but from reading other forums this is normal. It is after dark now so the CO2 is off, but I will play around with it some more tomorrow morning to see what it takes to get the pH to drop a full point.

As far as sizing the reactor, all Rex said on hissite was to use 2" pvc for the reactor chamber which I did. So if I am still getting bubbles, does that mean I need a larger than 2" reactor or smaller? The logic would say larger since it would have more water. I still have quite a bit on the bypass left to play with to slow down the flow so I can give that a try as well.

I'll play around some more tomorrow and report back what I find out. I also need to do my water measurements again tomorrow. I did another water change today trying to bring down my readings. My TDC/EC started at 1500 us and is now at 800 us so I think I am heading in the direction. I'll measure everything else tomorrow. I will take a look at the Dwyer.
Greggz likes this.

post #12 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm glad I'm not the only planted tank hobbyist running Apex Fusion.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 01-04-2020 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Edit
post #13 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 02:01 AM
Planted Member

Super cool journal and tank/setup.

I will just add like others that you will need a lot more than 1bps. I just started co2 on Boxing Day (inline diffuser so bubble city lol) in my 45g and like you I started slow. 1bps to 3 ish and so on and so forth to get my drop checker in the green I'd just be guessing at the bubbles per second now but somewhere in the neighbourhood of many to lots. Granted my setup is inherently less efficient.

Again. Really nice setup. I'll be curious to follow along as it progresses.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

post #14 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 02:12 AM
Planted Member

Reactor looks good just go slow and keep your eye on it as you adjust the rate up. This will be one of the best 75 in no time
post #15 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD500_Pilot View Post
My TDC/EC started at 1500 us and is now at 800 us so I think I am heading in the direction.
1500ÁS seems high to me? So does 800ÁS if we are talking conductivity.
TDC/EC ???

All of my tanks hover around 475ÁS which is about 215ppm TDS as NaCl

Go for the full point 1.0pH drop and as @Greggz suggests the flow meter is worth looking into!

Counting bubbles is a joke, I have so many bubbles in 3 counters next to each other I'd go bat shiitake crazy trying to count them all!
Don't really recommend drop checkers either due to slow reaction times.
Now a pH controller could be a good item for some but I've not had use for one yet.
Was able to solve pH measurement very quickly without constantly adjusting CO2 flow.
Greggz and Squisher like this.

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode